nw
I have moved the the reports tool to dock in a relatively narrow window at the left hand of the plex and I'm finding that the activity bars of the reports tool makes it difficult to read the thought names as they sits behind the text in a colour which can be similar to the text font.

I would like the option in preferences to disable it.

Do we still need these activity bars anyway? Similar functionality is provided by the 'circle' feature & associated stats in PB6? I don't have access to PB6 at the moment, so I can't check the correct terminology for the 'circle' feature.

Nigel

rhodes

I tried duplicating your problem in v5.5 and it seems the activity bars don't start any closer to the left hand margin than about one inch, even when reports is at its narrowest, so there's at least an inch of bar-free space for thought names.

Even when thought names are so long that some do overlap the activity bars, I don't find reading their names a problem, maybe because I prefer a really dark background for the plex, which also becomes the background for reports. I use very light and bright text colors against the background, and since the activity bars turn out as darker shades, I can easily read text against them. Maybe you could try switching to a similar color scheme (light text against dark background) in a test brain and see if this helps.

Alan Rhodes
nw

There is some free space at the start, but it makes the UI messy when the text merges with the bars.

At home I use a dark theme, but I have been testing PB for use at work and there I prefer a light theme so that PB doesn't look to different of standard office apps.

I have tried various tool layouts and haven't found one I really like. I depends on what I'm doing and what mode PB is in. I think there is a argument for having saved layouts similar to themes.

Nigel
zenrain
Quote:
I have tried various tool layouts and haven't found one I really like. I depends on what I'm doing and what mode PB is in. I think there is a argument for having saved layouts similar to themes.

I would support such an argument also.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
rhodes

I agree that layouts should be capable of being saved, also that it should be possible to turn off display of activity bars. I look at them very rarely and if they interfere with text display they should definitely be able to be turned off. In that way users can have the best of both worlds.

Since it's easy to switch themes, why not save your present settings as your "Work" theme, then experiment with backgrounds and colors till you find one against which you can read thought names in the reports pane? Save it under another name, say, "Activity", then switch to it only when you really have to make a long thought name visible.

Alan Rhodes

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software