lunatrix
Hello I am a mac/PC user. I have read of others transferring their brains easily between the two. However when I do this I lose all my attachments, which is not good (including the link to the attachment so there is no way to find it even manually).

I have read in this forum about some problem with attachments which is supposed to be fixed in latest release. I have the latest release but the problem remains. I cant tell if it is the same problem others refer to. Here is what happens. I build my brain on the PC (XP), zip it to an external drive, carry it to my Mac, open it and my plex looks like the first image (attached). Note attachments are there but the icons are weird - should be word or firefox icons. As soon as I hover over a thought these weird attachment icons disappear, and if I open the thought, it has no attachments. The plex now looks as in the second image (attached).

This is making me sad and limiting my use of the brain. Can someone help?
Thanks
Lunatrix
PS Sorry the attachments insist on displaying the wrong way round.

Click image for larger version - Name: mac_brain_AFTER.jpg, Views: 326, Size: 48.87 KB Click image for larger version - Name: mac_brain_BEFORE.jpg, Views: 323, Size: 51.23 KB
Harlan
When you say you "zip it to an external drive", what do you mean exactly? Are you creating a BrainZip with PB or using 3rd party software? Also, are the attachments to internal files stored within your Brain or external links pointing elsewhere?
Regards,
-Harlan
lunatrix
Thanks Harlan
Yes creating a brainzip with PB. Ive tried all combinations of creating it on the PC and copying to the external, opening from the external or copying to the Mac, opening from the brainzip or copying the actual brain, etc etc. ALways the same result.

Yes they are internal files.
Helen

lunatrix
PS forgot to mention it is Mac 10.4.11 and brains work fine (including normal attachment effects) when created on the mac itself. Also if created on the Mac and exported to the PC it all works fine.
Just PC to Mac that causes that problem.

Harlan
Helen,

Please try opening the Thought folders that contain the internal attachments on your Mac. Do the folders show the files correctly?

What version of PersonalBrain are you using?

Finally, note that PB on the Mac uses different icons from those on the PC, so you will not see Firefox or Word icons when you are on the Mac.

Regards,
-Harlan
lunatrix
Thanks Harlan I am now at work and can check all this again. When I open my brainzip on the Mac it first shows the attached msg. I let it complete its indexing (it doesnt ask for it next time I open so I assume it has done this?). The icons disappear as described. The thoughts have the command 'open thought folder' dimmed so I cant check exactly what you ask. However I can confirm that the brain folder contains FILES and this has a normal-looking brain structure and my attachments are inside - can be found with the mac search.

It is PB 4.1.3 and tells me it does not need updating. The mac system is 10.4.11 running on a 1.9 ghx power pc G5.

Hope that helps you to help!
Helen Click image for larger version - Name: brain_msg.jpg, Views: 160, Size: 32.50 KB
Harlan
Helen,

It sounds like you are using the free edition, correct? If so, this version does not support file attachments. They are there since you created them during the trial period, but I am guessing that when you are trying to open the BrainZip that contains them it is having a problem. Can you verify this? If this is indeed the source of the problem, we can try to reproduce it here and create a fix.

Also, please let me know exactly which version of PB you are using... 4.1.3.0 or 4.1.3.4?

Thanks.

Regards,
-Harlan
lunatrix
Ahha - I did buy the core edition but it is possible the Mac doesnt know that. I have been using it mostly on the PC. Should I do something on the Mac to tell it is now a legit 'core' version?

It says it is version 4.1.3.0 - but it also says it does not need an update. I did not know there was a 4.1.3.4.

Sounds like we might be getting closer to a solution.
Thx
Helen

Harlan
Hi Helen,

The auto-update will only ask you to update if there a significant update available. Since 4.1.3.4 only has minor changes since 4.1.3.0, it is not automatically reported.

Since you purchased PB Core for Windows, your serial number will not work on the Mac. However, if you upgrade to PB Pro, that edition is cross-platform and you can use it on both your Mac and Windows machines.

If you do decide to upgrade, I believe that will solve your problem.

I'll have someone try to replicate your problem tomorrow in case you decide not to upgrade. But, even after this problem is fixed, remember that the Free edition does not allow you to add file attachments nor access any of the other Core features.

Regards,
-Harlan
lunatrix
OK - sorry I thought CORE was for two computers but I see now that is PRO only. Guess I will have to spend another $US100 to use it the way I want to. But at least the puzzle is solved now so thanks for that.

Now that I am about to become a PRO user - is there any hope of getting recordings of the webinars that show us how to use PB more effectively? It is usually impossible for me to join them online and I have found the recordings I have used very useful for showing how things work in practice. The manual is good but only goes so far ....

Cheers and thanks again for your time.
Lunatrix

Harlan
Helen, most of the webinars are available from http://www.thebrain.com/#-130

The very latest one on editing your Brain is not there yet, but will be soon. In the meantime, you can see it at https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/419353646

Regards,
-Harlan
lunatrix
Thanks - I had the Mac one and the new one does not seem to play on my windows media player (maybe that is the wrong player but it opens by default). Anyway that is ok - now I know it is coming I will be patient (when I asked before it seemed it would not be made available).
Cheers
Helen

mcaton
The most recent Web Event was recorded and is currently hosted on GoToMeeting.  They recommend that you download the latest version of the XP CodeCPack.  It is available at http://www.xpcodecpack.com/.

Thank you,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software