benhuxham
How do I make a thought that is currently unconnected to any in the plex? Other than creating a thought then unlinking I mean.

The other thing I have been wondering about is all the help/tutorials all seem to be videos and audio files? are there some that are text based? It would seem more applicable to me to have tutorials that are based on text rather than audiovisual based commentaries.

If there is not (and I get a moment spare) would PB be opposed to the audio visual being transcribed to a more practical medium?

rhodes

If you're referring to an orphan thought, I'm not aware of any other way of creating one. I guess they think it's too risky to create it de novo in case you lose it!

However, if you wanted to create just one as a template, you could do so, then pin it up so it wouldn't get lost. Even if it did, you could easily find it (and any others) by selecting Reports > (All) > Special > Orphan Thoughts, then clicking the one you want to activate it.

As for tutorials, have you seen the User Guide (v5.0 is the latest)? It's a PDF file and comes with the installation. You can download it and transition guides here.

Then there's zenrain's PersonalBrain Users Google Group, which contains many useful articles and tutorials.

With a little skill, you can download the audiovisual tutorials for yourself and clip out just the bits you need.

I agree that a lot of the information on how to use PB is scattered.

Hope this helps.

Alan Rhodes
benhuxham
Thanks rhodes,

I think I was refering to orphan thoughts. I thought search was adequate for finding them. Does it need the links to trace?

Thanks for the links, I must have had beer goggles on the day I looked at that page.

rhodes

Quote:
Does it need the links to trace?

Not quite sure what you mean, but if it's a true orphan thought you obviously can't reach it by navigating the plex.

You can still find an orphan thought even though it isn't linked to any others. For example, if you created a thought named "MOT - My Orphan Template", typing "mot" or "template" into Instant Search would find it. In fact, if you selected All in Reports, it would be in the list. If you filter for Orphan Thoughts, you will get only orphans.

This filter always takes longer to display since PB does not store a list of orphans so has to check  all thoughts each time. For this reason, if you frequently use just one orphan as a template, pin it up, or if you have several, create a tag named "orphans" and tag them all with it for faster retrieval.

Another trick might be to create a Custom Report (Pro version only I think) in which you only want orphans to be displayed.

Remember too that if a thought has links attached but you have somehow filtered out all thoughts to which it is linked (using Filter > Inverse), it will appear as an "orphan" in the Plex - you won't see its linked thoughts till you uncloak them by turning Filter > off.

Alan Rhodes
benhuxham
Okay.
Quote:
Does it need the links to trace?
was answered with
Quote:
PB does not store a list of orphans

I guess I didn't consider the value of navigating via the plex but was thinking of using the search to find disconnected or disjointed thoughts.

What I was wanting to do is be on whatever active thought and create a new thought that may or may not have any other links to thoughts other than the current active thought.
For example:
you are working on a train of thought about your reading list `The Book Of Black Magic
And Of Pacts including the Rites and Mysteries of Goetic Theurgy, Sorcery and Infernal Necromancy'
and suddenly think of a conversation you had with Jack who has no association to the reading list. So you create a new thought 'Call Jack re: his brother's new baby'.
Rather than it being attached to `The Book Of Black Magic' I'd like to attach it to 'Todo' and not have to unlink. In this situation one is most likely going to have todo pinned but it wouldn't be hard to think of a situation where the thought train was not pinned.

This would also obviously create a situation where you could create orphan thoughts, when you don't have or can't think of a parent to attach it too.

But then, it is only an extra three or so clicks so I'll just not be so lazy.

zenrain
My workflow is I have a tag called inbox that I've pinned at the top of the plex. That way when I'm researching the appropriate fetish for a vodun ritual I can just drag a child link from my inbox tag to quickly create the thought for my sisters birthday gift that just popped into my head.
This will create an orphan thought, but it's also easily found as I can just click on the inbox tag and file all the thoughts properly when I'm ready.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
benhuxham
Gah, every time I think I've settled on a great way of dealing with mental processes someone suggests something that takes me right back to the beginning
rhodes

Create orphan thought by making it a child of a tag - neat trick.

Just have to remember to Go Back to reactivate the original thought you were working on.

Alan Rhodes
zenrain
Yeah, I have Activate last created Thought selected in the preferences also, so I just quickly Alt+ back arrow to get to the ritual.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software