advisors
I understand you can't/won't tell too much about the planned release schedule, but can you tell us when we'll see the next beta ?

Any way we could keep a brain synced between v8 and v9 ?

pthompson
I believe the current beta expires in 23 days so we should see an update before then I'm sure.
Harlan
Data added to TheBrain 9 cannot be synced to TheBrain 8. If you make changes in TheBrain 8 however, you can sync it to TheBrain 9 using the following steps:
  1. Sync using TheBrain 9. (Make sure you sync the brain you are going to import - if you don't, you will lose changes)
  2. Re-import the brain that you modified using TheBrain 8, deleting your V9 local copy in the process.
  3. Sync using TheBrain 9 again. This should merge back in changes that you made in V9 earlier.
The above process should work correctly in theory, but it has not been tested extensively. Remember all data in TheBrain 9 should be stuff you are will to lose - this is still a very early release.
Regards,
-Harlan
korm
@Harlan, just so I understand this case.  Let's say I have a brain from v8 with these thoughts:

v8 thoughts: A, B, C

I import that to v9 and add a thought and delete a thought:

v9 thoughts: A, C, D

in v8 I delete a different thought:

v8 thoughts B, C

I follow your procedure and end up with these thoughts:

v9 instance: A, B, C, D
v8 instance: B, C

1. I am not sure why this is a good thing.  Please explain.
  2. Can we have an option to turn this process off?
  3. How does TheBrain know what thoughts link to which - e.g., thought "A" might have jump-linked to "B in the original v8 brain -- so in the new "merged" v9 instance, what happened?
  4. It seems like a lesson to avoid is "never have a v9 brain with the same name as a v8 brain -- but with entirely different content", otherwise, importing the v8 brain to v9 might result in an accidental frankenstein brain you never intended to create.
  5. Also (extra credit): what happens if I'm deleting the local copy of a brain at the same time it TheBrain 9 is syncing it?

advisors
Harlan wrote:
Data added to TheBrain 9 cannot be synced to TheBrain 8. If you make changes in TheBrain 8 however, you can sync it to TheBrain 9 using the following steps:
  1. Sync using TheBrain 9. (Make sure you sync the brain you are going to import - if you don't, you will lose changes)
  2. Re-import the brain that you modified using TheBrain 8, deleting your V9 local copy in the process.
  3. Sync using TheBrain 9 again. This should merge back in changes that you made in V9 earlier.
The above process should work correctly in theory, but it has not been tested extensively. Remember all data in TheBrain 9 should be stuff you are will to lose - this is still a very early release.

Harlan,
Interesting thoughts, tx.

Now I would like the exact opposite, for changes I make to my v9 brain to be synched to my v8 brain [smile]

(I found myself enjoying v9 to the point I had made quite some changes to my brain I would like to keep.
As long as I can't sync those changes back to v8, I will have to refrain my pleasure in using v9 [smile] ).

And yes, I understand it's an early preview AND I accept the point of a beta is NOT to provide me with usable functionality.

I just found this first preview sufficiently stable to be tempted to keep using it [smile]

/Update

Ah and anyhow I still have to wait for the sync in v9 to work for my brain ...
bmac
I wish I could even get to the point of importing a V8 brain just to play with V9.  Can't do it with any one of my 6 brains. I guess I will just have to wait for the next release.
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i5
pthompson
Bill,

You can also create a Brain from scratch or use one of our example BrainZips from our Application Examples Page to start using TheBrain 9. 
mcaton
Korm,

Your results in the scenario are correct.  As Harlan mentioned, the two versions (synced version online and new local version) were merged together.

Which feature were you interested in turning off?  

Also, each thought in your Brain has an ID number associated with it.  This is how TheBrain will know if 2 Thoughts are intended to be linked to one another.

Your Brains have ID numbers associated with them as well, so in the scenario you have described (different Brains - same Brain name) your Brains would not overwrite each other.

And for question 5 - Deleting and Syncing at the same time.  You're Brain will know that it's busy with the sync process - so you'll receive a kind warning message that the sync is taking place [smile]

mc
mcaton
Bill,

I'm also still on the hunt for a sample Brain that displays the "Value to add is out of Range" error that we've discussed on another thread.

If you are getting that error message on more than one Brain - do you have any Brainzips that you'd be willing to share for testing on our end? If so, you can send to me directly at matt@thebrain.com (rather than uploading here).  Just let me know...

Thanks,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software