icarus
When one wants to link one thought to another, in some distant, eventually knowing the approximate position but not the name, or vice versa.

To find the second thought, one can use the search function or scroll/move through the plex. Finally arriving there but having the first thought lost far behind in the past thoughts list.

Is there an easy (and quick) way of linking, without having to use the selection (which is just to generate a link, to much extra).

I expected something like that:
• In the right click menu, there is an entry like 'link to ...'.
• Then it would open a small ~window like the selection one with the thought in it. (In contrast to the selection window, a) it would include just this one thought and b) the thought would have the frame around with the gates on it.)
• Then you navigate to the destination thought
• Then
  a) link the appropriate gates -> the small windows closes automatically
  b) you decided not to link and therefore, you click the small close (x) on the small window.

This procedure would allow a more intuitive linking to distant thoughts.

rgloor / aka icarus
tcahill
With version 3, you could start the link, then while the create jump dialog was open, you could still navigate through the plex to the desired thought you wished to link to. All the way along, you had the option to link to the currently active thought (the ones you had just navigated to) It doesn't seem that this same ability is available (yet) in version 4.
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
Harlan

Tim's right - that feature in PB3 does almost exactly what you describe. I think Tim may be one of the only people I've heard of actually using it though.

Regards,
-Harlan
icarus
Harlan wrote:

Tim's right - that feature in PB3 does almost exactly what you describe. I think Tim may be one of the only people I've heard of actually using it though.

That rises 2 questions:

a) will such a functionality soon be implemented in version 4?

b) how could one (actually you, Harlan, and your team ) implement such a feature in way, that (almost) everybody will just find it intuitively?

rgloor / aka icarus
tcahill
Harlan wrote:

Let me say that single feature stands out as one of the most important ease-of-use capabilities available when working with a very large brain plex. So very often, I've had a thought I'm working on trigger in my mind a vague association with other not-clearly remembered earlier thoughts in other areas of the brain file. Knowing that there was a relevant link "out there" somewhere, it has been standard practice for me to start the link, then go fishing for target thought. This really allows the tool to flow with, rather than stand in the way of creative processes.
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
wvdb
I agree with this. I actually also used this feature quite often.

Wouter VdB
wvdb
I believe the usability would also be significantly improved by allowing two views on the same brain side by side in such way that both can be used to modify the brain, and that links can be drawn between thoughts in the different views, and thoughts can be dragged among the views. Depending on the keys being held while dragging it could amount to simply adding a link (much like when importing a file) or effectively 'moving' a though. I believe this should be compared with the often used method of opening two windows explorers or mac finders to shuffle around files in an efficient manner.

This could also replace the 'wiggle' method to center thoughts while holding something, as it was available in PB3. I used to 'wiggle' a lot too, although I did not really liked it. I would have preferred two views with the capabilities described above.

regards

Wouter VdB

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software