kv94949
Any update on providing a written guide/manual?
I read in another forum that you initially weren't planning on this because you believed that ""If it needs a manual, it's wrong" (but then why provide video tutorials?); that the app evolves too quickly to keep a manual up-to-date (but how often do you update your video tutorials?); and that most people don't read manuals (false, and in any event, I'm not looking to read a whole manual..Like many people, I just want to look through it or do a text-search to find the info I need, which I can't do with a video). 
You've got a terrific app full of features. Many people don't have time to watch videos when they're looking for information. 
I'm sure your internal data says that people watch your videos. But that just means that your app attracts people who don't mind watching a bunch of videos . Please consider how you might extend your reach to many other people by providing written guidance. 
Thanks
PaulaO
Second the concept of a written (or TB based) manual.
Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Spell checkers aren't worth shirt.

Writers and editors have their own demon. Typo is his mane.
sibleyd
I prefer their team which I assume is small spend their time adding features than writing a manual.

I find the 1 to 5 minute tutorials extremely helpful.

We live in a world of limited resources.

This is a wonderful product but their are additional features I would like to see. 

I feel fully informed by watching the tutorials and common sense although I do occasional find a feature new to me.
sibleyd
I think with the exception of tech people type software such as databases, development environments, etc. few people read manuals any more.
metta
Definitely +1 for a written (or brain-based) manual -- As I've indicated elsewhere in the forum, I'm not "techy" at all, and I do read software manuals.

And while the tutorial videos are definitely helpful and user friendly, most of the time I much prefer being able to quickly search written documentation to find the exact (and detailed) information I need.

In addition, I think it is extremely important to provide comprehensive written documentation of the advanced features in TheBrain for the benefit of ambitious users who want to take full advantage of the specialized functionality TheBrain provides.
mcaton
Written manual is in active production.  Sorry, no release date available yet, but we're getting close.

Thanks,
Matt
flyteach
mcaton wrote:
Written manual is in active production.  Sorry, no release date available yet, but we're getting close.

Thanks,
Matt

+1 and thanks for the good new Matt!
dlorde
Good news! User documentation should be an integral part of the development process, and online docs should be updated with every release that affects the UI and function. People don't all think the same way, and what's obvious for some is opaque and obscure to others. Even for those of us used to The Brain 8, there's plenty in v9 that's far from obvious first time round...
mcaton
TheBrain 9 Transition Guide is now available at  https://www.thebrain.com/support or you can go directly to  http://assets.thebrain.com/documents/TheBrain9_Transition_Guide.pdf

Again, a full user manual is in development.

Thanks,
Matt
kbunders
Very nice! Thanks!
I learned about a new feature: 
Hidden Ordering System

Suggestion to improve the value of the transition guide: a list of features that can be found in version 8, but not in version 9.
Dell XPS 13 9343 | Windows 10 1903 | TheBrain 10.0.54.0 Pro License 
Intel i7-5500U CPU @2.40 GHz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors | 8 GB
Laptop screen resolution 3200x1800, scaling 175%
Secondary screen Dell 2715Q 27" Ultra HD 4K Monitor resolution 3840x2160, scaling 125% (set as main display)

iPhone 7 Plus | 256 GB | ios 12.3.1 | TheBrain 10.0.3.1
metta
Very nice, indeed! Thanks so much to TB team for going to the trouble of creating this transition guide.

I know it is a huge amount of work to compile all this "how to" info, but it (and the full user guide that is in development) will be invaluable in the days ahead. Immensely grateful for this effort to help TB9 users get the most from this amazing application.

Definitely +1 for adding a list of sunsetted features from TB8 into TB9 transition guide. Great idea, @kbunders!
Cerebrum
It's nice to quickly see all the enhancements.

I'd forgotten about Ctrl+Drag to select multiple thoughts.
singlark
[QUOTE username=mcaton userid=557293 postid=1305199032]TheBrain 9 Transition Guide is now available at  https://www.thebrain.com/support or you can go directly to  http://assets.thebrain.com/documents/TheBrain9_Transition_Guide.pdf

Quick Note: On page 15 of TheBrain 9 Transition Guide, Insert Table  is listed among the note formatting/editing features. Also, on page 14, it looks like a table icon is in the expanded toolbar for notes; however, in TheBrain 9, as well as the just released alpha version of TheBrain 10, I can find no icon for inserting a table.
mcaton
Singlark,

You're correct - the button is not there.  This screenshot is from an earlier test version.  We're updating these pages now.

Thank you,
Matt
Manni
Thanks a lot for putting this document together, it's very useful, I discovered the hidden ordering system that I'm going to use like mad! I had to number my thoughts to get them to show in the right order, and I don't always want the numbers to be visible.
TB V10.0.32.0 running in Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1809 with Bootcamp on a 2018 MBP 13" with 16Gb of RAM, 2TB SSD and i7 @ 2.7Ghz.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software