wordmuse
I use the combo search/create field in the plex all the time. It appears to be missing in the early release of TB9.

Please tell me it's not gone for good.

- Bal
zenrain
See here.

I'm not sure if I like the change yet. It's slowed down the responsiveness of instant search, and it also displays thought results in alphabetical order, not frequency, which is another change from Version 8 (and reported as an enhancement request here).

But it's early days yet, and I'm interested to see how things develop. [smile]
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
wordmuse
I almost never look at performance issues until a program is well into beta. I figure all of us have a standing preference for better performance. [smile]

I really enjoyed being able to create parent-free thoughts and then connecting them however I preferred. That was what was so cool about having the thought creation box that doubled as a search box. The combo with the buttons so you could choose was, for me, perfection.

Was/is there a way to create parentless thoughts without that feature?

- Bal
zenrain

Quote:
I almost never look at performance issues until a program is well into beta. I figure all of us have a standing preference for better performance.

Good point!

Aarg, I misunderstood this question. Hopefully someone at TheBrain will reply about the combined search/creation functionality. 

The only way I can think of to create a parentless thought currently in V9 right now is to create as a drag creation from an existing thought and then unlink it. Optionally you could activate a tag or thought type and create a thought as a child of one of those. Technically it's parentless, although if you did't want it to be assigned that tag/type, you'd still have to unlink. [smile]

macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
wordmuse
Hopefully, there will be at least a discussion about this within the dev team and it (or some other way of creating parentless thoughts) will be provided.

- Bal
mcaton
Thank you for sharing.  I'll document your request to bring this Brain 8 feature into version 9.

Thanks,
Matt
wordmuse
One other nuance on this. In the TB8 combo box, I can create multiple parentless thoughts by using the semicolon, much like I can when creating related thoughts (parents, children, jumps).  Parentless thoughts all appear at the bottom of the plex, conveniently enabling me to hook them up as necessary - without also having to unhook them from an irrelevant thought.

- Bal
advisors
mcaton wrote:
Thank you for sharing.  I'll document your request to bring this Brain 8 feature into version 9.

Thanks,
Matt

I also use/appreciate this functionality.
LuizAlfredo
Me too. Waiting for Pro Users to use TheBrain 9.
L.A.G.M.
wordmuse
I'm exploring TB9 again and I sorely miss the combo search and create field that is part of TB8. Why would you get rid of such a powerful tool? I just don't get it.

- Bal
enkidu
+1 to have it back

cheers
enkidu
Harlan
wordmuse wrote:
Why would you get rid of such a powerful tool?

Please understand, TheBrain 9 is a complete rewrite that is being done in a much much shorter timeframe than TheBrain 8. Everything that is in TB9 has to be recreated from scratch. It's not a matter of removing things, it is a matter of choosing which things to build first. Part of the reason we are sharing early releases with the community is to get your feedback on which features are most important to all of you here.
Regards,
-Harlan
enkidu
Thanks Mr Harlan

as an IT man, I understand.

from a user point of view, this particular feature is MUCH LESS important than the "paths between 2 thoughts" feature I requested elsewhere.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to individual forum questions, I understand it's time consuming.

kind regards
enkidu

perry
Harlan wrote:
Please understand, TheBrain 9 is a complete rewrite that is being done in a much much shorter timeframe than TheBrain 8. Everything that is in TB9 has to be recreated from scratch. It's not a matter of removing things, it is a matter of choosing which things to build first.

Yep, I'm sure we all understand the huge undertaking, and extremely thankful for the opportunity for feedback.

Harlan wrote:
Part of the reason we are sharing early releases with the community is to get your feedback on which features are most important to all of you here.

How are you assessing / rating our feedback on features? If it's "+1" then I'm going to have to go back through the Forum and 'add my vote' to the features I'm keen on..
Harlan
I'm going to post a new topic to address how we are prioritizing the development for TheBrain 9. I think many people may be interested in this. Thanks for asking about it. 
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software