jsfirth48 Show full post »
perry
mcaton wrote:
Sorry for the multiple questions... how was the Brain previously closed?  Crash/Machine Shut down, normal close?

...and 'Normal close' [frown]
Larathiel
I'm getting the same issue.  Just learned of the preview build yesterday (5/22), so I downloaded and installed TB9 on my home PC yesterday (Win10Pro x64) and it runs just fine.  Attempted the same today on my work PC (Win10Pro x64), and it crashes immediately with the same error message as everyone else.  I've tried uninstalling TB9, rebooting, re-downloading 9.0.93.0 with AV and Firewall turned off, and re-installing using run-as admin with AV & FW still off.  Even with AV & FW still off, and doing a run-as admin, TB9 still crashes.

Here's what I see in Event Viewer:
Source: .Net Runtime
Event ID: 1026
Task Category: None

Application: TheBrain.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ArgumentException
   at #Oc.#81q.AddDefaultScopeRule(System.String, Int32, UInt32)
   at TheBrain.Windows.App.TheBrainApp.VerifySearchIndex()
   at TheBrain.Windows.App.TheBrainApp+<>c__DisplayClass2_0+<<Main>b__0>d.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore+<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_0(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
   at System.Windows.Application.Run(System.Windows.Window)
   at System.Windows.Application.Run()
   at Xwt.WPFBackend.WPFEngine.#xoq()
   at Xwt.Application+<>c.#G8v()
   at ##.#FTq(#UWp.#J1p, System.Action)
   at ##.#rYq()
   at TheBrain.Windows.App.TheBrainApp.Main(System.String[])

Source:  Application Error
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)

Faulting application name: TheBrain.exe, version: 9.0.93.0, time stamp: 0x572cbeb6
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.10586.306, time stamp: 0x571afb9a
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000bdae8
Faulting process id: 0xd38
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1b50b7a3ffe82
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\TheBrain\TheBrain 9\TheBrain.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: a8b1a945-e065-4f6f-adb1-8eb5cc40ec89
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I'm attaching the log files I've seen requested previously after having first purged them.
mcaton
Thanks for reporting.  We're documenting these issues.  So, to be clear, in Larathiel's case - you've never successfully run v9 on this machine - correct?  It crashes right after install and attempting to run?

Thanks,
Matt
Larathiel
Matt:  That's correct.  I've run TB8 on this machine for years, but yesterday was my first time attempting to install TB9 on it, and it has yet to run successfully.
Larathiel
Well this is really disappointing.  I just got in a brand new Surface Pro 4 at the office, and whereas I can see my 3 year old Dell having issues due to the amalgam of software installed on it, I'm running into the exact same crash on my brand new machine. >.<

On this brand new machine, I'd not yet even installed TB8 so there can't be any interference from that.  Also I disabled Symantec AV before downloading or  installing, and even kept it off for the first run.

Given that I had no issues on my home system, is it possible that it takes exception to Symantec (work) vs McAfee (home) even being on the same system, or perhaps not liking machines that are joined to an Active Directory domain?  Would having the 64 vs 32-bit version of MS Office make a difference?  Really hard-pressed to think of what differences I have between the machines beside those.  It's not expecting to find 3D hardware present, right?

From Event Viewer...
Source: .Net Runtime
Event ID: 1026
Task Category: None

Application: TheBrain.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ArgumentException
   at #Oc.#81q.AddDefaultScopeRule(System.String, Int32, UInt32)
   at TheBrain.Windows.App.TheBrainApp.VerifySearchIndex()
   at TheBrain.Windows.App.TheBrainApp+<>c__DisplayClass2_0+<<Main>b__0>d.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore+<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_0(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
   at System.Windows.Application.Run(System.Windows.Window)
   at System.Windows.Application.Run()
   at Xwt.WPFBackend.WPFEngine.#xoq()
   at Xwt.Application+<>c.#G8v()
   at ##.#FTq(#UWp.#J1p, System.Action)
   at ##.#rYq()
   at TheBrain.Windows.App.TheBrainApp.Main(System.String[])

Source:  Application Error
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)

Faulting application name: TheBrain.exe, version: 9.0.93.0, time stamp: 0x572cbeb6

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.10586.306, time stamp: 0x571afb9a
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000bdae8
Faulting process id: 0x15c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1b6a6877c050f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\TheBrain\TheBrain 9\TheBrain.exe
Faulting module path: C:\windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 057931a5-d43e-4cfb-b8fd-ed121183a823
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Larathiel
UPDATE:  I... may not have been too far off in my theorizing last post.

So on both my old Dell and new Surface, I just tried switching user accounts from my normal AD domain account to each computers' local (i.e. non-domain) admin account.  When I try launching TB9 as the local admin, it gives the configuring... message, bring up the login prompt for TheBrain, and then opens the interface just we would normally expected!

In my experience with other problematic software installations, this usually ends up pointing to a permissions issue for a file or service.  No clue if this will aid in The Great Bug Hunt™, but I couldn't, in good conscience, not share these findings.

Good luck!
mcaton
All information is good information.  Thanks for sharing and I'll add this to the documentation of this issue.  I think this clarifies that there are no conflicts with 3D hardware or other apps mentioned and is specifically related to Active Directory.

Thank you,
Matt
mcaton
I believe we've addressed the issues of TheBrain 9 running on a machine with Active Directory.  Please download the latest release (9.0.98) from http://www.thebrain.com/thebrain9 and let us know if you have any difficulty logging in.

Thank you,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software