mnolte
TB 11.0.23.0, macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Something seems to be wrong with the "Duplicate Thought" function.
  1. create a new Brain
  2. enter some text to the note
  3. perform "Duplicate Thought"
  4. click on the duplicate --> crash
There is this warning in output.log:
2019-10-08 13:47:00.9664 | WARN | TheBrain.Sys.MultiThreadedWorkerPool | [91] Work of type #44.#R9 threw an exception: startIndex cannot be larger than length of string.

I have seen this warning before. It always appears when I edit an URL in a note.

"Duplicate Thought" does work properly with an empty note.

Something that worries me more:
When I duplicate a certain thought, the duplicate will never be identical. Instead, the duplicate contains an older version of the original thought. This always happens, even after restarting TB.

One more:
  1. edit a thoughts note
  2. "Duplicate Thought"
  3. check the duplicate --> looks fine
  4. some tenths of second later: the notes content vanishes, it is empty
All of this might be related to those warnings:
startIndex cannot be larger than length of string

Regards, Martin
mcaton
Martin,

First, I'm not able to replicate the crash. How are you doing step 3 - "Perform Duplicate Thought"?  Keyboard shortcut? TheBrain Menu? Right Clicking on Thought? All seem to be working well for my test on a macOS Mojave.

Also, regarding the second issue, It sounds like your cursor is still in the notes area when you request the duplicate Thought, so the note has not saved yet.  Can you first save the note (can easily be done by clicking in the plex area) and then duplicate?

Thank you,
Matt 
mnolte
Hi Matt,

Quote:
It sounds like your cursor is still in the notes area when you request the duplicate Thought, so the note has not saved yet.  Can you first save the note (can easily be done by clicking in the plex area) and then duplicate?

Yes, you are right! I testet this in version 10. To save the note, I either had to wait for some time or click in the plex. Otherwise, changes to the note will not be part of the duplicate.
That could be considered as a bug, but it's old.

Quote:
First, I'm not able to replicate the crash. How are you doing step 3 - "Perform Duplicate Thought"?  Keyboard shortcut? TheBrain Menu? Right Clicking on Thought? All seem to be working well for my test on a macOS Mojave.

I have tried both TheBrain menu and context menu, makes no difference.
To reproduce the crash, the note needs to be empty initially and it must not be saved.

Steps to reproduce, version 2:
  1. select a thought with an empty note and enter some text
  2. do not save the thought
  3. perform "Duplicate Thought"
  4. click on the duplicate
    --> TB11 will crash, TB10 won't
  5. check the duplicate, it es empty - this is a minor bug both in TB10 and in TB11, ihmo
Also, I noticed vanishing content of a duplicate note. That was an error of observation. This is due to the sometimes slow mode of operation of the Plex in TB11.

Best regards, Martin

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software