media1mogul

The use case
As a user I can attach some number N of documents to a thought. As a user I would like to be able to copy a link to one of those files and then past that link into one or more different thoughts in the same brain.  I want the link to the file to work even if I sync my brain to the cloud and then download the brain to a different host, where the program and data paths are different than those where the copies of the link were originally created.

In other words from a user's point of view, the link to an attached file could be copied and pasted in the same way that an internal link to a thought ("copy local thought URL) can be shared as a link in a different thought ("Paste URL").

Example:
I have various documents associated with companyX stored as pdf files inside my brain.
I want to be able to look at all of my documents associated with companyX in one view.
However, I also want to have a thought related to problemY, and view a subset of all the documents related to that problemY without having to save multiple copies of those documents.  Also I want to be able to use the solution across platforms (i.e. links must not be tied to fully qualified file path on the host)

First posted and discussed in: How to section: April 12.
V11.0.80.0

Keywords:
Hardlink
softlink
attachments
reference single internal file from multiple thoughts
copy file link
file link
files
Memory on Paper
mcaton
Thanks for posting.  You could easily copy/paste a link to a THOUGHT in your Brain. This seems like it would work well if you only have one attachment per thought. (right click on a thought and select 'copy local thought URL') I understand your request, however, for wanting to link to the file attachment. I'll verify that this is documented for further review.

Matt
media1mogul
Matt,
Thanks. David Gretzschel and I have been going over this ground a lot recently, including the proposal to store 1 file per thought. 
In fact that's where I'm currently at.  

Scenario1: Multiple files - like a list of correspondence.
-Store these internally with their thought.  This makes them conveniently located and accessible in the filesystem.

Scenario2: Single file - like an excel budget
-Store this file as the only thing in a thought.
-Associate it with other thoughts as needed either by linking or by copying the thought URL.

====

Since I first posted this request I realize it's not trivial to implement. It would mean giving attachments essentially the same status as thoughts, which then leads you to think - well - why not do one attachment per thought all the time?  But that is not practical in scenario 1 because you lose the ability to deal with the file via the native OS tools like file explorer.  And taking advantage of the the native OS filessystem seems to be one of the design tenets of thebrain.

I think in the end - I'm going to try the current workflow for a bit.  (i.e. using both scenario1 and scenario2 above).
If it turns out to fit well into my workflow for the brain I'll let you know on this and the other ticket.

Thanks

Memory on Paper
DavidGretzschel
Ah, I think I understand what you are requesting now!

In the following examples I have "Attachment>Paste"-command to ctrl+alt+v and "Attachment>Copy" set to ctrl+alt+c.
There are no default mappings for these.

current behaviour: (as of 11.0.85)
When you copy an Attachment from within TheBrain-window with ctrl+alt+v, activate a different Thought and press ctrl+alt+v, you will be creating a new copy as an attachment, instead of merely adding a link as an Attachment.

expected (and desired) behaviour:
Pressing ctrl+alt+v would paste a filelink, as a filelink was supposed to be the copied Attachment.

@mcaton
Maybe the current set of copy & paste-behaviours could be added to the user guide?
I'm getting a bit lost trying to make sense of the crazy things one can do with Thought-URLs alone....
There could be a large table that show the various commands of copying a thing and pasting a thing and how they interact with various different kind of Attachments.
This stuff is important to people who work with files. Also all people work with files. This shouldn't be ambiguous, down to pure guesswork and/or found out by the user thru trial & error.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

DavidGretzschel
@mcaton
When I use the "Thought>Duplicate"-command it'll already copy linked Attachments as linked Attachments.
I think that suggests that the "copy and paste Attachment links"-feature is already implemented and just needs to be transplanted?

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

--
---
---

DavidGretzschel

@mediamogul
"Copyable Attachment-links" is actually a pretty cool request.
(as of five minutes ago, I didn't even know this wasn't already implemented!)

The "make stuff work across filesystems" has been requested a lot already, I believe. I think even I did that one once.

It was a bit difficult to follow when you combined that request with "make links work across different filesystems", as that's something totally different.

I understand that you're describing a desired workflow needing multiple features, but it helps with comprehension if you individually request the parts that are required, then make a different post where you link to them, describing the workflow.

Or at least that's what I occasionally do for sets of features that together would have a lot of synergy, like the Zettelkasten-feature pack.
I don't know if I'm actually all that good at bringing my perspective across, just that I have tried some things in that regard.

---
By the way, assuming you only had one file-system in total to worry about, could you not simply work with OS-filelinks?
(in Windows, right-click a file, select "create a shortcut")
A filelink itself is a file after all. So the inability to copy TB-filelinks would not matter, since you can just copy OS-filelinks.

--
---
---

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software