rhodes
While struggling to make Expand All (in Normal view) legible, it occurred to me that I nearly always use this feature to view the grandchildren of the active thought, hardly ever the parents. Might it not produce a more readable display, with more space and a larger font, to have an option in Expand All to display ONLY the children?

For the parents of the active thought, this would be another form of sibling view, in which the siblings are nicely divided up according to parent, something I see has been wished for in the past.

I have to say that I find the current Expand All view cluttered and difficult to read. I'd also like some way of forcing links to distant thoughts to be as bright as ordinary links.

Thanks for giving this your consideration.

(Added) I've changed the title of this thread to match discussion in my post #3)

Alan Rhodes
Harlan
You can adjust the size and spacing of the expanded view in Preferences (Views > Expanded Normal View). You can also adjust the whether distant thoughts should be faded (Look & Feel > Thoughts > Fade Distant.)
Regards,
-Harlan
rhodes
Quote:
You can adjust the size and spacing of the expanded view in Preferences (Views > Expanded Normal View).

I appreciate having these controls, Harlan, and have adjusted them as much as possible, but it does not help me greatly since, in each column in Normal view, the parents of the child below are still too close to the children of the child above; this can get confusing particularly when most thoughts are the same color.

How can I put it? It gives me a feeling of increased certainty to know that the thoughts I am seeing are all grandchildren of the active thought. There would be fewer thoughts to scan, and probably less truncation too. This would make Expand All a much more pleasant space in which to work.

On second thoughts, an even better suggestion would be to change the "Expand All" toolbar icon into a three-way toggle switch (similar to the Reports filter), so that clicking it for the first time displays only child thoughts, a second time only parent thoughts and a third time both child and parent thoughts (as is currently the way Expand All behaves). We would need accelerators for each and an additional Preferences option to include or exclude jump thoughts from the Expand All display. What do you think?

The main advantage of my initial suggestion is that not having to allow room for parents would immediately give grandchild thoughts more space. I see that in the past, forum members have requested an extra generation to be shown in the plex. My suggestion of being able to switch on either grandchildren or grandparents (instead of always both) would immediately answer this need.

(Added) I've decided to put this up on UserVoice. Please vote for it if you think it a good idea.

http://thebrain.uservoice.com/forums/4597-thebrain/suggestions/929609-expand-all-to-limit-to-children-or-parents-only

Quote:
You can also adjust the whether distant thoughts should be faded (Look & Feel > Thoughts > Fade Distant.)

What I requested was the option to make the brightness of distant links the same as near ones. Maybe this could be tied to the option you mentioned. Maybe I should have mentioned that my normal links are not very bright anyway, so the forced dimming of distant links makes them almost invisible.
Alan Rhodes

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software