goldfinch
Is this feature only in the paid versions? It expands one particular thought, step by step, to show each time one more level of connexions.

It's demo'd in a Youtube video I found, PersonalBrain Tips and Tricks,
, but the video is dated May 07, 2008 and shows each thought having little "+", "-", and "0" controls on it which are not seen in my free version 5. Or have these been replaced with other modes of control?
goldfinch
Okay, I found all this in the 4.5 manual: + expands one generation at a time, - hides a thought, "anchor" anchors a thought on the plex.

But it looks like all this is no more, except for clicking on child circle to display the next level of children. But I do not see a way to make a thought display all its children.
Shiiko
+ expand - hide controls are available in Expanded view.  Right click on your PB desktop, see View, select Expanded view. Or, on your toolbar, to the right of the home icon, click on that and you will have the option for the Expanded view.  (At least this is how it works on the purchased Pro version, but I assume that a demo version also allows this functionality.)
pbmember

A terrible thing happened. I didn't know what that circle thing is with the dot in it on the bottom of the Thought so I clicked it and a whole bunch of my thoughts went straight to heaven. Can someone kindly tell me how to get them back? I didn't see it in the UNDO list so I couldn't undo what I'd done.
MAC User
zenrain
It's a child thought gate. The only thing I can think of is you command-clicked to select them all and deleted to forget.

To view forgotten thoughts, go to Options > Show Forgotten Thoughts. They won't appear in any reports. If they are there, you can select all, and remember.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
pbmember

The Child Thought gate is the circle at the bottom of the Thought. To the left of that was a larger different shaped type of circle with a dot in it. That's what I clicked on, and when I did, the links all went 'up'. I could still see the link strings but not the Thoughts.

I went to Forgotten Thoughts and Remembered them again and that worked! Thanks! (I still don't know what that other 'circle' is and I don't want to click it again to find out. Could it be a way to 'forget' all thought?)

MAC User
zenrain
Hmmm, that may be the keyboard browing indicator. It's triggered when you click the arrow keys and shows you where you are navigating. You can use it to go to another thought using only the keyboard, and clicking enter will activate that thought.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
pbmember

Ummmmm....I got the Thoughts back when I clicked on the Normal View. But I want an Expanded View so I can arrange things the way I want. But now when I go back to the Expanded View, all the Thoughts are once again somewhere in outer space. I just don't get how to reverse whatever happened when I clicked on that bigger strange circle with the dot inside next to the child gate.
MAC User
Darkstar
Are you talking about the Anchor control?

I've "circled" it in red in this image. If you click that empty circle, it "anchors" the thought so it won't move around anymore. If it is already filled in because you've clicked on it, clicking on it again will unfill it, and unanchor the thought (which will then cause it to start moving around once it is no longer under the cursor or the active thought).
Click image for larger version - Name: Anchor_box_-_Circled.PNG, Views: 122, Size: 41.32 KB
-Darkstar
pbmember

Darkstar, yea, it's the anchor thing. Well, I went back and clicked it and nothing changed so I clicked it again and now you know what I've got...hahahaha I've got a string all the way from left to right across my whole screen and nothing else. My thoughts are now in left and right field. I can't even get to an anchor to unanchor it. What happened?

I can go back to Normal view but I can't use Expanded any more.
MAC User
Darkstar
Sure you can. No normal (unsaved) expanded view stays "stuck". Here's what to do...

Swap to normal view. Then swap back to Expanded view. The expanded view plex will be reset. If you want to find that thought that went off into the deep plex space, use Instant Search (hit F3 to put the cursor caret into the Instant Search Box) and type in the name of that thought. (You shouldn't need to complete typing its name unless you have a LOT of thoughts named similarly--- just use the up and down arrow keys to select that thought and hit enter). Presto! You should be back at that thought.

Anchors are not persistant, except in saved expanded views. If a thought got anchored a VERY long distance from the rest in an saved view, well, just Instant Search it, activate it, and wait. Eventually, the plex will show that long distance anchored thought in the saved veiw. At that point, you can unachor it and put it somewhere else.
-Darkstar
pbmember

Darkstar,

F3 on the Mac separates my opened documents/Web pages. So I did the search and typed in the first thougt. The thought I could see then disappeared so now I have an empty screen with Wallpaper only in Expanded view. It seems to work fine in Normal and Outline view. This is goofy.
MAC User
Darkstar
Oh. Sorry. I'm on the PC, and thought function keys were cross platform (going straight to the app with focus).

That is very, very weird. Maybe someone can figure it out and chime in.

In expanded view, the only thing I can think of is to pin your right field thought, instant search and activate your left field thought, jump link it to your pinned right field thought, and IF the thoughts aren't anchored, the plex will pull your right field thought over to your current active thought--- but it might take a bit of time, if they are very seperated.

Humm--- your expanded plex should have been completey reset if you've switched to normal view, then back to expanded. And there's no way that it would still be messed up after you've shut down the program and exitted out, then came back later and started it up again. Are you running in Outline mode? In Outline mode, there is no anchor controls--- only the (+). If you've been "drilling down" (expanding) your trees in Outline mode, your thoughts can get seperated by a large bit of screen real estate.
-Darkstar

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software