outstretchedarm
hey all,

I've been using PB on and off (more off than on) for the last two years; have maybe 2000 thoughts between two brains.

I recently had to do a project using MS Access 2000.  My clerk has built us a database and always complains how unintuitive Access is, but, as I have been learning it, I find it very logical, and can see myself getting good at it over time.  Also, it runs very well in the background, whereas PB, because of its graphics, is kind of a hog in the background...

ANYWAY my question is...I think one could build a PB styled database using access.  Not the GUI really, but in the same structure.  Thoughts --  Parents -- Children --Siblings etc.   The hard part would be to develop the Access database in such a way that a thought can be a thought and at the same time be a parent to another thought, not merely a category or something containing another thought.

Anybody care to give me a few pointers on how I would begin developing this?  Once I got started I'm sure I can run with it.  Also, I'll be happy to report back my results

- O

dyslucksia
You might find it easier to model such concepts in FileMaker, which is excellent at creating indexes on-the-fly.
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
Adathome
outstretchedarm wrote:
hey all,

ANYWAY my question is...I think one could build a PB styled database using access.  Not the GUI really, but in the same structure.  Thoughts --  Parents -- Children --Siblings etc.   The hard part would be to develop the Access database in such a way that a thought can be a thought and at the same time be a parent to another thought, not merely a category or something containing another thought.

Anybody care to give me a few pointers on how I would begin developing this?  Once I got started I'm sure I can run with it.  Also, I'll be happy to report back my results

With the code 1,2,3 you get the direction child of, parent of, jump link see image printscreen excelsheet below. I have done this in excel, with one button i can export this excel file to an PB-XML file. I have also built in some additional features, customizing thought id's, thoughttype id's and colors and linktype id's and colors.

For you it is easy to import the PB XML in your Acces database,see printscreen image thoughts and links in Acces below.

Click image for larger version - Name: 9-9-2009_17-21-55.png, Views: 559, Size: 55.58 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 9-9-2009_Acces_Links.png, Views: 541, Size: 76.34 KB
Click image for larger version - Name: 9-9-2009_Acces_Thought.png, Views: 543, Size: 63.89 KB
Regards, Ad Divide knowledge = multiply knowledge (Windows 10 -  TB8 / TB9)
greenwood
You'll need a many to many relationship on the same table. See attached image for the database schema. You can easily add more fields to the parent-child table to define relationship type, direction and so on.

You can use a view (query) to extract siblings by matching the parent field.

To implement links use the same structure, of course you would be looking at left_thought and right_thought rather than parent and child for names.

Click image for larger version - Name: 10-09-2009_15-16-57.png, Views: 530, Size: 8.21 KB

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software