terimakasi

I have developed a prototype to export XML ThBrain to neo4J Graph Database. If someone is interested to test or contribute, please feel free o contact me

Michel Kern

vnomad
Yes, it would be very useful to have better control when exporting/importing between tools like theBrain yEd, XMind, etc.
I have looked into using XSLT transforms to get from theBrain to yEd, but found it too complex for my skills/time.

Good luck in this project! I would appreciate information on the progress.

Dagfinn Aaslid
terimakasi

Hi

Thanks for your answer. Trust me, XSLT is not the best way (I explored that already). My current prototype is written in C# but without GUI and only supports theBrain ->Neo4J and theBrain -> GraphViz (dot syntax), without yet all the bolts and nuts of theBrain features.

Now that there is a javascript package to read/write xmind files, I have completely swapped to NodeJS biotope (standalone javascript, without a web browser)

I may start a project later and publish it on npm (javascript packages for NodeJS) for the kind of transformations that you have suggested.

Until that feel free to take a look at my current projects:

'mixin-interface' (more than 8000 downloads), as well as 'mixin-interface-api' and 'design-patterns-api'

Best Regards

Michel Kern

eeik
Hi @terimakasi, I'm curious if you've developed this export prototype any further and/or kept up with TheBrain v10 release? I'd love to speak with you about this and see if we can combine forces in some way 👍
terimakasi

Sorry for the late answer

please find a post that I send recently on the API thread of this forum

I'm a long time customer (I started using 1997 version of PersonalBrain in late1999), until version 9 (if I remeber well) the graph was stored as an XML file and I had developed a converter to export it to Neo4J (the support team seemed not interested by supporting such tools), since version 10, the graph is stored in a proprietary format and I just lerant from the above that an export to Json is possible (which better than nothing but cumbersome at it cannot be automated)

TheBrain is in my view not "the best" but "the less worst" tool for quickly modeling and saving a knowledge graph, there is no alternative until now (especially because of the tons of user interface patents which would allow an alternative to reuse this "subgraph centered around the focused tool" idea whic is great but not so brilliantly exploited)

I have many times informed the suport team about the need for an API and also the urgency to adapt to the "Linked Data" world (Semantic Web, Graph Databases, RDF Query etc..) which is now widely known since 2010 at least (https://www.explainablestartup.com/2016/08/the-history-of-semantic-web-is-the-future-of-intelligent-assistants.html)

I was fedup with the support team attitude and even using less and less TheBrain because of this lack of integration in a customized ETL environnement with the help of input and ouput filters (Import from / Export as)

TheBrain allow to model types/supertypes which is again "better than nothing" but its missing the integration with triplestore / graph databases (eg Neo4J)

There is a project which could help borrowed TheBrain users its "Apache Metamodel", its a "meta" Database which as this (Import from / Export as) feature (eg. import from CSV / export as SQLLite). As TheBrain is a visualization tool, the "best of the 2 worlds" could be an integration between TheBrain and Apache Metamodel.

If anyone in this stream is interested by the idea, deel free to contact me (echopraxium@gmail.com)

Best Regards

Michel Kern

obrugman
To @terimakasi : How would that look? can you share some screenshots or have a video performing the process?
Tools: The Brain | Evernote | DayOne | Ayoa | iMindMap | Omnigraffle | OmniOutliner | Ulysses | Scrivener |

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software