zenrain
When I run an extended search in either TheBrain 7.x or 8.x it does not have any results from file attachments, just web attachments (and e-mail etc.).

I tried both a .pdf and a .txt file. I tried doing an advanced search and choosing attachment. I also verified that when searching in spotlight, it does find the file.

Tested on OS X 10.9.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
mctrexler
I noticed exactly the same thing yesterday.  This was not previously the case - and yet the software version hasn't changed.  
zenrain
Maybe it's an issue when running on Mavericks?
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
yuryg
Nope not an issue with Mavericks, as it can see inside the documents just fine. It is program internal.
pthompson
I'm also not seeing any issues on Mac OSX Mavericks. Those of you having trouble: Have you tried rebuilding your search index? File > Utilities > Rebuild Instant Activation Index and File > Utilities > Rebuild Search Index
zenrain
I rebuilt both indexes. It's finding search terms in emails, but not .pdf files. 
I have several .pdf's with the word "Absolute" in them. I do a search in the Finder for "absolute" and it finds the .pdfs in TheBrain Files folder. I do a search in the Brain, and it doesn't find any of the pdf files.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
zenrain
More on this, it's very erratic (note, all brains are in the same parent folder which is not disabled in Spotlight).

On my main brain, no .pdf results are found.
I create a new brain, attach the .pdf which contains "Absolute" multiple times as a link, it's found.
Copy the pdf internally, it's no longer found.
Removing and adding the .pdf again didn't result in it's being found. Deleting the thought and re-adding, or rebuilding the index never resolved.

I then created another new brain. When I added, it was found. After copying the .pdf internally, found again. Did multiple times. Found them all.

I figured it was an issue with my main brain. Created a brain zip and didn't save include the search index. Then moved the old brain database to a different folder, restored the brainzip and the search index rebuilt. PDF results were still not returned.

Went back to the test brain that was working. It's no longer finding any results. 

I've attached the test brain .brainzip. After restoring it I searched for "absolute" and it found nothing. The .pdf is internal and contains that term multiple times. The file size is 1.5MB, I have it set to 20 MB maximum files size

Update: There were multiple paths to similar brains under the file menu, including two for the test database that I attached. Deleting extraneous paths and adding back the test brain caused it to see the attachment after I re-indexed. I then did the same for my main database. 
After re-indexing, my main brain still doesn't return results from existing attachments, but it does return results from new ones. Not sure where to go next.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
zenrain
Update to this. I tested on my windows machine and it's not finding that thought when using the same search term (although other attachments are returned which is an improvement). 

I'm concluding that it's an issue with my database, and have relegated it for archival use only since search results are suspect.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
jcadbiz
I can't get it to work with ANY virtual attachments at all - and I mean not even the file names.

On a complicating note - it only finds names when they are typed like this: "na" returns "names" but "ames" will not, and *ames will not.

Going to be fun I see.

This is true even with file attachments that are copied to thebrain storage. 

I thought copied in files were going to be indexed - why wouldn't they be?  This is thirty year old technology...! Xywrite used to do this just great, in 1984.

OH THIS SUCKS.  Sorry guys.
zenrain
Several things:

I don't believe Extended searching will find the contents of virtual thoughts, it only finds attachments that are added or linked to regular thoughts (this is both Windows and OS X). As a side note, it also has to be added through the interface, not the finder directly to the folder.

Quote:
On a complicating note - it only finds names when they are typed like this: "na" returns "names" but "ames" will not, and *ames will not.

Instant search will only find the beginning of the search terms, you can't start midway unless using wildcards. However you can type the start of multiple words. For example "na fr" will show "Names of Friends". For wildcards, they are different. Check out the notes on this thought or this one in TheBrain User Knowledgebase. It's at the bottom under wildcards. In short, use % for multiple characters, and ? for single ones.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
pthompson
zenrain is correct. Search will not find anything that is a Virtual Thought. zenrain I will take a look at your example to see if I can replicate this on my end. Thank you.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software