tcahill Show full post »
jostber
These are great suggestions.

Also if we could reach the distant thoughts in the Expand All view with the arrow keys, and then the distant thought would zoom up a bit when the green circle is above it...

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
Cornan
I recently got back a vote on UserVoice and am wondering if we should all get together on an item there.  I just looked at "Zoom" and "Group" and didn't find anything I thought followed this thread.  Is there such a request there already?

At fist I didn't see much use for the cluster / grouping / collapsing functionality for my own needs, but eventually I also began to create clusters of thoughts that all relate to one topic but have their own links and possibly notes (in other words, are not suitable for being stored as one thought with multiple attachments).

To make the clusters work in Normal View I need to do something like a daisy chain or fully connected network map (if that's the right term), so that viewing any one of those thoughts will show jump links to the others.

This looks kind of odd, though.

It would make more sense for these islands of tightly related thoughts to have just the sort of collapsing function this thread speaks of.  I've even begun to think of it as a visual form of database aggregation (GROUP BY).

If we start with the common ground (I think) of creating a new plex entity - a "thought group" (nothing remarkable here), then we need to imagine how / whether to name such a group, and how to make them collapse automatically.  I'm all about using Instant Search and automatic navigation / browsing features, and (for example) only have two saved Expanded Views among all of my brains.

In the simplest form of grouping, there could be one more box in the Properties for "group name" (there should also be a box for "Instant Search keys" to replace the transformed Tags feature, but I digress!).

As I always keep speedy browsing in mind, perhaps the default group mode for Normal View and Outline Mode would be "collapsed", while in Expanded View the degree of expansion could be selected from the toolbar (so far, it seems I have suggested only one level of grouping; that should be easy).

Given the existing architecture, perhaps a good parallel to Super Types could be Super Groups, which would support a "once only" tailoring of the group structure (rather than the "click-click-click" manual style of tailing Expanded View today).

Or for something more automatic, the Properties box could be "Group Attachments", and PersonalBrain could simply use the group name with the greatest number of thoughts as the highest level group (in other words, the last one to collapse).  Of course, something so loose would also allow for overlapping groups and such which the algorithm would have to handle...

I am still also attracted to the idea of true automatic zooming based on degree of relatedness; this could work in any view.  PersonalBrain would need to "name" the group based on the aggregation reason itself.  Some off the cuff thoughts:

• zoomed by tag "regular expressions"
zoomed by thought names with "for sale" [i.e. using the "comma trick"]
zoomed by relationship (e.g. fully connected by jump links or other) - but how to name???

Getting back to my original suggestion - is there a suitable thought at personalbrain.uservoice.com?  Or should we craft one?  Since the ideas cannot be edited once entered I would suggest crafting the text here or on one of our machines before posting.

jemcd
Any updates on this sort of thing?

I love the idea of 3D interfacing.

As for the current 2D setup we have:

I would like to, at the very least, be able to ZOOM OUT more than is currently allowed in the Brain 7 desktop program.

I want this function so I can see more of my connections at any given time.

Anyone else agree?
tcahill
Yup. It is still a good idea.
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
wyseur
Have you ever tried VUE (visual understanding environment)? Such zoom functionality would really benefit PB. Just press Alt + scroll and zoom the whole plex in/out!

I see this missing functionality as a real counterproductive problem, especially in expanded view.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software