Spacenexus
To the Braincells!!

Fantastic job on TB11 everyone. Looks like it's really coming along beautifully. I've not checked in for quite some time as I've been merrily driving productivity with my TB8 megabrain, which now sits at 130k thoughts and about 3TB of files.

I hope to be able to transition this year and from browsing the posts TB11 seems to be data stable at this stage. Is that assumption correct?

Are folks using TB11 as primary environment now or is anyone sticking with TB10. Any context welcome.

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
Spacenexus
Well, I see 11.0.56 is a release candidate already, so I guess that answers my question!!

Amazing job again to the team and dedicated community.

Jim
@200229:
TB8022 32bit

Testing 11.0.60.0

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since 1997
DavidGretzschel
Are those 3tb in the braincloud? If yes, then hell no.
Needed to leave my laptop on overnight just to download the 20gb for the climateweb.
My own Brain which is 2gb large also takes an hour or so to complety download.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

mctrexler
@Spacenexus

Jim, some people are still sticking with 8 and 10.  I've moved to 11 with the Climate Web megabrain at TB's recommendation. If I understand your use of TB I suspect TB11 is a good choice at this point, assuming you don't need things like "expanded views."  We lost some great things in the transition away from TB8. 

Where a lot of the problems with TB11 are still cropping up involves the desktop's interface with the Web Client, which I suspect you don't use, and with taking advantage of the ability to share brains via private access.  That still has major issues.  And it's one reason I've actually gone from a 50GB brain to a 9GB brain by moving files to the cloud. But again, probably not an issue for your use model. 

The one area I think you might want to think about is memory management in TB11.  For months I've been running into "memory exception" errors. In some cases that's actually what the error says, but usually it just crashes. Brain is 110,000 thoughts, and crashes often happen when I'm selecting lots of thoughts for one reason or another.  When I send in the error the report back is "yes, this was a memory problem."  It crashes a lot.  TB is talking about making significant changes to memory management I'm told, but you never know when.  I frankly don't recall whether I had a lot of crashes in TB8, so I don't know how TB11 might compare for you.  But that's the one thing you might want to be particularly aware of. 

Mark 
Spacenexus
Mark

Thanks for the helpful updates, good to know!

I would certainly miss expanded views but I think it's a trade I can live with, assuming they might come back at some point. On the plus, all the tags, types and reports are in, as are link types. These are very important as I now have quite a reporting gig going on with my megabrain which fulfils a dozen integrated roles in my information ecosystem.

You're right, I don't sync my main megabrain so that shouldn't be an issue (to David's point above). Of course, one issue which would affect us all is memory, especially with a large dataset but hopefully that is able to be kept in check. My TB8 has been rock solid for years now (touch wood) so I'm sure TB11 will have even more robustness being platform native. It's just a matter of time.

I'm actually porting my megabrain to my 64GB Xeon chipset workstation laptop with a dedicated 8TB SSD just for my brain which should allow room for growth, and hopefully will ride over any memory shortfalls for now. I know that's a bit of a self-centric response, as not everyone will choose such a configuration, but I use that to run engineering software so it's readily available.

Thanks sharing your experiences Mark, much apprecaited.

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit

Testing 11.0.60.0

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since 1997
DavidGretzschel
@Spacenexus
Well, you couldn't really. 3 tb would be quite titanic.....unsyncable 🙂

I do hope they scale up their backend to allow for some decent speed. At least saturating a 100 Mbit connection would be nice.....

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

mcaton
Yes, v11.0.56 is now our release candidate, so we may be coming out of Beta very, very soon. I know I've switched over and now only open my Brains in v11. I certainly don't recommend jumping back and forth between 11 and 10.  Doing so, you won't lose any data, but your notes are saved as different file types, so making edits in both version could potentially become confusing. 

Matt
Spacenexus
Huge congratulations to the BrainTeam on the official release of TB11!! Thanks for the continued care, effort and development for over two decades! TheBrain is as important a capability to me as the internet!

Onward!

Jim
@200229:
TB8022 32bit

Testing 11.0.60.0

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since 1997
mcaton
Thank you Jim! We appreciate the kind words.

Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software