Quorcork
Hi!
As i am coming from known mind mapping tools like freemind, etc. i'm used to view larger parts of a graph in a single view. TheBrains expanded view provides this and is a good step, however currently it's next to unusable since i have to click on dozens of nodes in order to open up larger parts of the structure of a brain.
What about using the + and - keys for opening up the brain by one link level per keystroke? You could even add <shift>+<+> and <shift>+<-> for (un-)folding the complete structure in a single step.
Any comments on such a feature idea?
Cheers
Silvan
vicanto

may be even useful a layout where pointing with cursor to a thought it expand... without push keys... ad when cursor go ahead thought return compact

hock
In a way what I understand you'd like is to elevate selectively some of the thoughts so that their linked thoughts are shown as well.

Keyboard strokes requires training and adds costs. I would prefer to be able to use visual tools to achieve opening up nodes and display one link level up.

Each thought, child, parent or jump should allow me to display the links for each of these entities. The entity that now displays it's links is elevated to be like a <planet:> and all the 1ist level linked thoughts are like their  <Moons>.

I enjoy programs that provide users also with visual ways of setting up tools bars, I enjoy visual selection and then selectively dragging elements to set them active.

Design specs for me look something like:
* be able to drag & drop a  circle (planet shape) from the tool bar over to any BrainPageElement
*and as soon as that got dropped the1ist level links for that thought get displayed.

The Brain might then even display a small circle next to that thought to indicate visually that the thought element is displaying its own moons or first level links.

Eugen Hockenjos
London/UK

Quorcork wrote:
Hi!
As i am coming from known mind mapping ... i'm used to view larger parts of a graph in a single view.... dozens of nodes... to open up larger parts of the structure of a brain.
... for opening up the brain by one link level per keystroke?
Silvan
hock/london

Win7pro, PB 7.0.4.5, J - 1.7.0
Harlan

Thanks for the suggestions. We are continually improving the expanded view. Originally, it did in fact work by mouseover triggering expansion. We found in practice however that more control over what areas get expanded tends to yield a more pleasant experience.

We're currently experimenting with commands to expand all visible thoughts one level...

One thing that you can try immediately is to click on the (+) button for the active thought. This will automatically expanded every connected thought by one generation.

Regards,
-Harlan
Quorcork
Harlan wrote:

We're currently experimenting with commands to expand all visible thoughts one level...

That is right what i was thinking, nice to hear.
Cheers
Silvan
Spacenexus

Hello,

One further feature request for the expanded view, can the keyboard cursor keys be assigned to panning the plex? That way, using the keyboard to pan the plex and the mouse to move/position fix/expand thoughts would provide for smoother usability (similar to panning around a large spreadsheet).

cheers

Jim

@181218:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
icarus
Harlan wrote:

One thing that you can try immediately is to click on the (+) button for the active thought. This will automatically expanded every connected thought by one generation.

Thanks Harlan

I tried it. It does expand as you mentioned.

However, one thing I found is, that all the related connected thoughts have a (+) and a (-), except the activ thought. It only has a (+). As soon as you expand via the (+), you can't simply reverse it, or get back, because there is no (-) to click on.

rgloor / aka icarus
Axla
To expand on this thought, can we please have the option to have more than 2 'coloumns' in the Normal view.

I find the 2 coloumns view a bit restrictive, and would like to see the option from PB3.0 with an option of number (2 or 4) of coloumns.

I too, support the idea of expanding the plex by use of '+' and '-', or by changing 'Preferences'.

Harlan

PB4 dynamically calculates the optimal number of columns. So, you get 2 columns if everything will fit, 4 if there's to much for 2 columns, 6 after that and so on...

Regards,

-Harlan

Regards,
-Harlan
icarus
Harlan wrote:

PB4 dynamically calculates the optimal number of columns. So, you get 2 columns if everything will fit, 4 if there's to much for 2 columns, 6 after that and so on...

Regards,

-Harlan

Hi Harlan

Your above comment (and some similar comments in some other threads) triggered some questions:

a) Number of columns
Does it only take even number of columns (2, 4, 6, ...) or also uneven (3,  5, ...).
If just even: It might not matter too much if 6 or 8. But if you are on the lower end, 2 or 4 is quite a difference and having the option of 3 would make a difference.

b) Forcing to use certain / minimal number of columns
Space available for thoughts is dependent of selected font size and name length of the thoughts. Most of time several to most of the thoughts are cut off any how.
So I wondered, if one could force / preset in preference, the prefered number of columns? (eg automatic, minimum, maximum, standard, ....).
Then it would either cut off more of the text or show more.

Just my 2 cents.

rgloor / aka icarus
Harlan
Only even numbers are used since odd numbers would make the links to thoughts directly below the active thought all overlap. Thanks for your feedback.
Regards,
-Harlan
icarus
Harlan wrote:
Only even numbers are used since odd numbers would make the links to thoughts directly below the active thought all overlap. Thanks for your feedback.

hhmmm.......

....that's right. One thing, I never thought of.   There seams to be a lot of thoughts behind what ever have been done a certain way.

Thanks for your answer.
rgloor / aka icarus

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software