DavidGretzschel

You can do a decent Zettelkasten system with TheBrain, already.
The killer feature of a Zettelkasten-system is already possible.
If you really wanted to, you could have, what I consider to be the core-features:
bidirectional links between Text-links and the Thought it refers to
seeing all the instances where linked a linked Term is used, to see lateral connections

This could be done by manually linking each Thought, to its containing text links.
It's too fiddly to be practical at the moment.
However with a couple of minor changes and not too complicated features, it would be a quite practical and comfortable workflow.
This feature pack is about enabling this very specific functionality.
It's not about linking to specific Attachments or parapgrahps within those attachments.
That would also be very nice to have, but is not as essential for a pretty decent Zettelkasten-implementation (and they'd not be so easy to develop).
These changes and features are the following:

[feature request] a faster version of Notes>Insert Link to Thought, please 
[feature request] allow to use Thought>create Thought command from Notes>Insert Link to Thought-menu 
[feature request] add Notes>insert Link to Thought (plus Jump), Notes>insert Link to Thought (and add as Child) 
[feature request] command to follow text-to-Thought-Link
[feature request] creating link labels color thickness oneway attribute direction during the thoughtcreationlinking process

Thought in TheBrain-Brain:
https://bra.in/2pKx5B

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

galactic_star
I'm thinking maybe this could be implemented using a companion app, I just don't have any skill in programming but I tried apps that we can use as an inspiration.

We will use the sqlite database as read-only , this will be use for the list of thoughts available.

We can have something like an auto-complete app, so when we type [[ , it will show the list of thoughts from the sqlite database.

Or we can have something similar to a citation manager where you drag+drop/click the available list of thoughts.

Once a thought is selected, it can be converted to a local thought url and paste it on the notes panel.
https://forums.thebrain.com/post/how-does-thebrain-generate-its-local-thought-urls-9780380?highlight=local+link&trail=15
DavidGretzschel
@galactic_star 
Yeah, that sounds doable. Don't have time for making that right, now.
And I do think it should be built-in.
By the way..... Zettelkasten is a German word, so I should probably translate it Ã°Å¸ËœÆ’
Zettel = killer
Kasten = feature

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

--
---
---

metta
By the way..... Zettelkasten is a German word, so I should probably translate it ÃƒÂ°Ã…¸ËœÆ’
Zettel = killer
Kasten = feature
 ðŸ˜‚
cxp4
I agree being able to link back from a thought to a link within another thought's note that points to it would be useful.
drruth2
Now you are getting into an app that I used to use in Palm days titled Note Studio.  It was developed by some folks in Australia.  It had all the backlink features you've described.  I've suggested to TB team that they look into working with the Dogmelon folks.  There was an app named NoteLynx developed by an individual in London.  Also had some rudimentary backlink capabilities.This is available in the App Store, but does not appear to have been updated since 2014.
Not to be too much of a stick in the mud, but https://www.zettelkasten.org/ and https://zettelkasten.de/ both translate Zettelkasten as "card index file"
There is another set of apps from InfoRapid (German-based) KnowledgeBase Builder (last release was Aug 2019) and InfoCardFile.  They have Android and Windows versions, but aren't cheap.  I've not played around with either enough to say if they have the backlink feature implemented.  On the Zettelkasten.de site in the blog section are diagram that resemble TB and the InfoRapid products. TB is more advanced than the InfoRapid products.

All these share the same concepts of an elemental item of information (Thought appears quite often in the descriptions) with additional details as necessary, and then linkage to related information elements.  I haven't nailed down a "starting date" yet, but from reading some books on card index file systems a year or so ago, I would suspect traceability back to 18th century is quite likely.
Dennis Ruth, CISSP Retired
Aerospace Scientist
Computer Scientist
Lieutenant Colonel (Ret) US Army
Professor (Ret) National Defense University
 College of Information and Cyberspace
DavidGretzschel
added a new feature request, that kinda fits with the whole Zettelkasten approach.
https://forums.thebrain.com/post/feature-request-creating-link-labels-color-thickness-oneway-attribute-direction-during-the-thoughtcreationlinking-process-via-10436467?pid=1310821569

--
---
---

mctrexler
@DavidGretzschel related to your note, and focused on a couple of things that would hugely improve TheBrain as a knowledge management systems would be: 

1) The ability to mass-manipulate links.  Right now, there's a lot you can do with links, but having to do it link by link is simply impossible.  It would be great (per your suggestion) to be able to program link colors and attributes to go along with thought creation, but even being able to mass-create one-way links would be a great step forward. 

2) The ability to back-track internal thought links.  It is very strange that there is no way to know which thoughts are the subject of internal links. It makes it inevitable that one will accidentally delete or change thoughts and thereby break links you've forgotten you created. 

@drruth2 you have to give David credit for coming up with such an innovative definition of Zettelkasten!   And of course to you for pointing it out!  

Mark  
DavidGretzschel

@mctrexler
1,2) Added that it should of course be possible to pick a link type from creation as well, in that suggestion.
This would make it easy to see which links are generated from a text and allow easier backtracking.
If one then could quickly (custom) filter the Plex by link type (as in show only textToThought-links or hide them), you'd have easy backtracking.
It should be possible to move the focus highlighter from the active Thought to such a textlinked-Thought, excecute a "Thought>go back to text-reference"-command via keybinding and then activate the fh-Thought and set the cursor to the position in the text from where the link originated.

as for mass Link-manipulation:

Even being able to select a single link without having to grab the mouse would be of great benefit. Already requested.
https://forums.thebrain.com/post/feature-request-make-links-between-thoughts-selectable-and-editable-efficiently-via-arrow-keys-3019-10288182?pid=1309892936
https://forums.thebrain.com/post/how-arrownavigation-linkcommands-and-highlighting-should-work-in-detail-10352409?highlight=visual+bug&pid=1310070402

At the moment it's not possible to even select more than one link, even if one had the inuhman mouse precision required.
But a simple command like: "add all of this Child's links to Selection" and then another simple command of "make all selected Links one-way/other way/remove one way" would work for your purposes, would it not?

--
---
---

PaddyVA
@DavidGretzschel thanks for your post re Zettelkasten -- hadn't heard that term, but reminds me of a system promoted by an engineering magazine about 60 years ago, with tabbed cards and ten columns; clippings were given a sequential number and filed in number order and the cards filed in a "slipbox"; the cards were the way to quickly match keywords to an article and retrieve it. Now I'm exploring Zettelkasten anew, reading "Smart Notes ..." Look forward to any additional posts as you develop the idea in TB.
Pat

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software