galactic_star
I tested TheBrain 8 before and was really impressed by it, but it didn't support other file managers, i believe windows explorer is hard-coded based on my testing, i just don't like windows explorer, because of this i stopped testing it and just use a decent file manager instead.

Now, I like to request TheBrain team to please consider support for a 3rd Party File Manager. 

If i remember it correctly, i set the 3rd party file manager as the default, in TheBrain 8, when i open a thought folder it still opens windows explorer.

What i like in TheBrain 9 is directly open the folder using the default 3rd party file manager.

Hope you guys consider [kiss]

mcaton
Interesting.  I'll document your thoughts for review from the engineers.

Thank you,
Matt
Harlan
What is the third party file manager you are using? When you say "i set the 3rd party file manager as the default", where are you doing that and do any other applications then start using the new file manager?

To my knowledge, there is no standard way to replace the file manager in Windows, so I think we would have to write something special for each one.
Regards,
-Harlan
galactic_star
Thanks Matt and Harlan!

Quote:
What is the third party file manager you are using?

i use XYplorer http://www.xyplorer.com/ and my backup file manager Q-Dir http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/Q-Dir

Quote:
When you say "i set the 3rd party file manager as the default", where are you doing that and do any other applications then start using the new file manager?

i posted some pictures to show how to make the file manager the default browser. (see the pictures below), i think only the Folders are affected. In XYplorer, the "My Computer" still opened by windows explorer, but when you click "Local Drive C:", it will open XYplorer file manager. in the case of Q-Dir, it has an option to set the default browser for "My Computer", so when you click  "My Computer" it will open Q-Dir directly.

When i tested TheBrain 8, the thought folder opens in windows explorer,

From there (windows explorer), if there is a folder inside and you open it, it will open the default 3rd party file manager. 

What i like to see in TheBrain 9, is to jump directly to the default 3rd party file manager.

an example of application that start using the default file manager is PDF24 Creator https://en.pdf24.org/, i set it as the default printer and save the pdf automatically, whenever i print something in Chrome Browser, it will automatically be saved and the default file manager will pop-up and show me the file.

although, most will still use Windows explorer saving and opening dialogs

other programs, mostly launcher programs, example quickaccesspopup http://www.QuickAccessPopup.com uses a list of external file managers http://www.quickaccesspopup.com/what-file-managers-are-supported-in-addition-to-windows-explorer/

folder menu 3 http://foldermenu.sourceforge.net/, you can set the File manager and even the Browser path and use parameters for the file/folder path. example  C:\Filemanager.exe %path 

pictures below

2016-02-11_102016.png 
XYplorer configuration

2016-02-11_101852.png 
Q-dir configuration
enkidu
Mr Harlan

mark my words :

If TheBrain allowed jumps between virtual thoughts, I would use it as a file manager ... ;-)

cheers
enkidu
Harlan
The configuration screens you are showing are for the 3rd party applications. I suspect there is no way that is supported by Windows itself to replace the file explorer.

If these applications allow launching to a specific folder and selecting a file via a command line interface, we could support them. Perhaps by a configurable setting similar to how you can setup custom web search engines. I'll write this up as a feature request.

enkidu: Sorry, virtual thoughts will not be supported in TheBrain 9. Also, it is not possible to support jumps between virtual thoughts as the file system does not have identifiers for files/folders beyond their paths, which can be changed at any time without warning. If this were possible we would have pursued it and made a vastly different product.
Regards,
-Harlan
enkidu

Mr Harlan, thanks for taking the time to answer.

Quote:
enkidu: Sorry, virtual thoughts will not be supported in TheBrain 9. Also, it is not possible to support jumps between virtual thoughts as the file system does not have identifiers for files/folders beyond their paths, which can be changed at any time without warning. If this were possible we would have pursued it and made a vastly different product.

I realise that. It's conforting to know that you had already thought along the same lines.

I'll just sit back & wait for v9 then ...

kind regards
enkidu

galactic_star
Quote:
If these applications allow launching to a specific folder and selecting a file via a command line interface, we could support them. Perhaps by a configurable setting similar to how you can setup custom web search engines. I'll write this up as a feature request.

Thank you Harlan for considering it! [kiss][thumb] Looking forward to testing it on TheBrain 9[comp]
mbaas
Harlan wrote:

> If these applications allow launching to a specific folder and selecting a file via a
> command line interface, we could support them. Perhaps by a configurable setting
> similar to how you can setup custom web search engines.
> I'll write this up as a feature request.

+1 for that. Also, pls. support multiple entries there - this would make it  nice "interface" to interact with the thought folder and my old dream "copy thought folder path to clipboard" could then also be implemented by using that feature :-)

mcaton
Thank you Michael - request documented.

Thanks,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software