DavidGretzschel

I really like icons in TheBrain and I do use them a lot.
I can search for icons. I love getting 72 random icons at a time. Recent icons are often practical.
It is partially keyboard-accessible. The icons are really nice and cover most of what I need.

Though the "Select Stock Icon"-dialog has some cumbersome usability issues and annoying quirks.

First let's talk about the "choices" (with which I mean the radio-button options):
choices.pngThis is a freshly opened dialog, which restores the last user-choice for the dialog in general.
However although that choice is "search", it does not automatically focus the "search"-field, so I can't immediately type and go search.
For no good reason whatsoever, I have to press shift+tab first or click the search-field with the mouse.

The "Suggestions"-choice is a nice idea, however it is very slow, as it has to be manually selected first, if "Suggestions" didn't randomly happen to be the last user choice in this dialog.
Suggestion problem.png
There is a solution to both of those problems:
Instead of remembering the last user-choice, it would be better, if there was no "Suggestions"-choice at all. Instead it could be like this:
Simply always open on the "search"-choice first, with the Thought-name prefilling the Search-box, the search term being selected to be quickly overwritten and the search already done.
This prefilling would then work similarly to the revised "Notes>Insert Link to Thought"-dialog.
suggestion solution.png 
It wouldn't be strictly necessary even to show the search-term to begin with, it would just help the user notice that the obvious thing (searching for the Thought-name) has already helpfully been done for him.
[this also prevents an unwitting user doing the Thought-name search and thinking it didn't work, because the icons don't update]

There's three areas in this dialog.
The first area is the choices-area, the second the icons-area, the third is the "miscellaneous"-area which can be empty, have the categories for the "Browse"-choice, have the shuffle-button for the "Random"-choice or have the search field for the "Search"-choice.

areas.png 

At the moment, tab as well as up/down arrow move between the combined elements of the "miscellaneous" and the "choices"-area.
There is no way to select an icon by using the keyboard.
This is very wasteful.
Why not reserve the tab-key to move between those three areas and allowing the user to use the arrow-keys to select "choices", "categories" and select "icons"?
And then allow the user to move a cursor-like Selection-frame between the icons and allow an icon-Selection via the Enter-key?
In this case the whole dialog could be used entirely via keyboard alone, with no limitations imposed to mouse-users.
The frame (and a very useful name-reveal behaviour) already exists for the mouse-over action, after all:
Selection-hover state.pngWhy not allow a keyboard-only user to have this luxory as well, instead of forcing him to grab the unloved mouse?

And as a last suggestion:
scrollbar.png 
Why not make the dialog tall enough, that I can see all the "Word flags"-icons at once?
There's plenty of space for all of them.
At the very least it should be possible to show all categories at once, as that would only be 9 more lines after "People" (which are "Real Estate", "School & Education", "Sports", "Technology", "Transportation", "Travel", "User Interface", "Weather" and of course "World Flags").
Those 9 off-screen categories stand a definite risk of being completely overlooked by an inattentive user.
If the dialog could be made taller to at least show all categories, this would at least create enough space, so that one can see all the icons of a category by pressing PgDwn once.

Ah yes.....also please make PgDwn and PgUp the scrollbar for Icons, not the scrollbar for categories.
For categories, it's not needed as much.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

mcaton

Thanks for the post. I'll leave this post here under issues, but will be documenting as feature requests for the icon library. I think I have everything:

• When search is selected, returning to the icon library, the cursor should automatically in the search field
  • Remove 'Suggestions' category. Have the search option selected with the thought name populating the search field
  • Keyboard navigation options for selecting an icon
  • Taller window to see all categories
  • PgDwn and PgUp functionality
Thank you,
Matt
mctrexler
@DavidGretzschel  @mcaton

If TB will no longer pull in favicons to serve as icons, then the ability to select icons from the library becomes a lot more important.  But like the great things one could in principle do with links, it's almost useless if you have to do icons one at a time. Can one add icons for an entire "selection" of thoughts, or is that one the list of needed fixes?

Thanks,

Mark
DavidGretzschel
@mcaton
Yup, pretty much. Would also be cool, if it wouldn't lag when you move thru the "Browse"-categories with down/up-arrow. It kinda drags at the moment, which kills the fun of it.

@mctrexler
Yeah, applying an icon to an entire Selection at once would be very neat, too.
[not possible at the moment, unless you create an ad-hoc type, which they'd have to keep forever just for the styling, which often isn't feasible]

I think that should be two commands, actually:
"Selection>Select Stock Icon" to call up the dialog and "Selection>Paste Icon" to set an appropriate icon from the clipboard.

But if "Selection>Select Stock Icon" was possible, then it would make sense to extend the dialog with another area for Foreground and Background-color of the Thought-name. (or rather, use a modified dialog for SelectioN)
More so than wanting to mass-icon a bunch of Thoughts, I'd want to set their colors.
[not that uncommon that those Thoughts would already have types or aren't supposed to have Types]

What makes you think that TB will be generally unable to do that?
It just seems to work on some sites and on some sites it doesn't.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

LuizAlfredo
Also, when we select a Category, I missed the option to see All the icons again. The larger windows will be great.
L.A.G.M.
mcaton
Browse > All. I'll add this to the list as well.

Thanks,
Matt
mcaton
Mark,

I believe the option to modify icons for a selection of thoughts is documented. I'll verify.

Thanks,
Matt
mcaton
Mark,

I guess I should point out that modifying a group of thoughts' icons can be done by assigning them a TYPE. Still,I'll verify the request.

Thank you,
Matt
mctrexler
@mcaton

That should have been obvious to me, but I've never used Types to replicate an icon.  That just saved my assistant about 250 icon insertions, for starters. All the thoughts are already the same type.  

Thanks!

Mark
mctrexler
Wow!  I had no idea I could create a Twitter icon and insert it into a Type that would carry over to the Web Client.  Don't understand why TB Web Client won't just recognize the favicon as the desktop does, but it's certainly better than nothing! 

Mark 

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software