DavidGretzschel
BrainThemeNoDeathCircle.png 
If I had terrible taste and would be using red background for my thoughts, then I wouldn't even be able to see the death-circle.
I'm calling it death-circle, because I want it dead and it kills navigation.
And i have no idea what it's officially called.
But if the death-circle must exist, I should at least be visible in all circumstances.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

eeik
Please, for the love of anyone who knows anything about UX and interaction design ... please step up internally and do away with this blasted donut of curses. Breaking keyboard navigation for no apparent reason and forcing mouse click workarounds is a cruel joke the emergent tech debt monster has unleash on TB users ...

Lipstick on a pig would be the feature being requested (i.e. define color) ... fixing the interaction should be the solution 👍
mattgyverlee
Hmm, If you're referring to the bulls-eye that appears when navigating thoughts by mouse, mine is green, and follows the color of "Highlighted Thoughts" in your screenshot. I'm not sure how you got a red one with those settings. Does it turn red when things crash? If so, that's something I've never seen.
eeik
Of all the app frustrators, this one hasn't spawned a thorough investigation on my part to find specific repro steps for it, but it happens quite frequently when navigating with the keyboard only and maybe doing a thought rename or add a link or two. I'm sure the team knows of this and it's priority has just never bubbled up high enough.

Thework around for me is to mouse click on the Plex and/or the active thought and then go back to keyboard surfing. Annoyance cost is lower than my 3-4 times daily hard crashes, but since @DavidGretzschel logged it, +1
eeik
I've discovered a 100% repro method for my own setup ... when breaking / unlinking a relationship with a thought via the hotkey combination, I get the angry red dot which jumps from the now removed from view thought back to the active thought. When right-clicking on the thought to unlink it, the angry red dot does not appear and I'm able to continue navigating via the keyboard. The keyboard navigation state being locked is resolved by hitting ESC or editing the active thought and then escaping back to the plex without making changes to the active thought.

Angry Red Dot.png
DavidGretzschel

Hmm, If you're referring to the bulls-eye that appears when navigating thoughts by mouse, mine is green, and follows the color of "Highlighted Thoughts" in your screenshot. I'm not sure how you got a red one with those settings. Does it turn red when things crash? If so, that's something I've never seen.

As a general rule, I try to never use the mouse, when navigating.
The outer blue circle in my screenshot is what you get as a marker when using the mouse to click on a thought.
It's the "focussed Thought, circle" in the BrainTheme-settings, which is always around the activated thought.
When you use the arrow-keys, you get a green bulls-eye (with the default theme at least).
The color is determined by "Highlighted Thoughts".
If there is a highlighted thought, it will be the context for all shortcuts, whereas the active thought will determine the context for the layout and also will be the context for drag-and-drop.
Does that make sense? Honestly I'm not sure yet. I find it rather confusing, that there's two contexts.
The red bull's eye is some kind of error state, that occurs, when you are in cursor navigation and have deleted things.
At some point the cursor turns red and refuses to move.
Sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes forever.

EDIT:
It appears that ctrl+n will use the active thought, instead as the highlighted thought as context.
I wish there was only one focus and only focus-marker across the whole program.
It's really difficult to get straight what command is supposed to be doing what when.

EDIT2:

Also not quite true, as I noticed. This is only the case, if the content-area is hidden:

https://forums.thebrain.com/post/different-commandexecutioncontext-dependent-on-whether-the-contentarea-is-hidden-10306155?pid=1309850511#post1309850511

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

--
---
---

DavidGretzschel
eeik wrote:
I've discovered a 100% repro method for my own setup ... when breaking / unlinking a relationship with a thought via the hotkey combination, I get the angry red dot which jumps from the now removed from view thought back to the active thought. When right-clicking on the thought to unlink it, the angry red dot does not appear and I'm able to continue navigating via the keyboard. The keyboard navigation state being locked is resolved by hitting ESC or editing the active thought and then escaping back to the plex without making changes to the active thought.

Angry Red Dot.png

There's multiple ways to get into this state. I haven't even figured out yet, how to use the unlink-shortcut.
This issue was about not being able to control the error-state.
https://forums.thebrain.com/post/thoughtgtdelete-creates-cursor-freeze-locks-me-out-of-navigation-10302364?pid=1309820111
This is where I posted how to get into the error-state (at least one way to do so).
It involves deleting all the children of a thought in the Outline-layout.
Pretty sure that one was reproducible.
It only sometimes breaks in normal-layout.

--
---
---

mcaton
First, the thread opened with the question of how to change/set the color of the keyboard navigation indicator. As pointed out by Matthew above, this can be modified by changing the color for Highlighted Thoughts.

Next, regarding the "Angry Red Dot" I was finally able to reproduce this issue. The key ingredient was being in OUTLINE view.  I'll document for further review.

Thank you,
Matt
DavidGretzschel
no, this thread was about changing the color of the "Angry Red Dot", which might be invisible or hard to see, if it would appear on a thought having red text or a red background. Then the thread derailed a bit.

--
---
---

eeik
If the angry red dot state is only useful as an error state that blocks navigational functionality, factor out that dot, gracefully recover from the error, and be left with no need to change the dot's color.

I think we're arguing for the same thing in the end... perhaps I'm misreading the original poster's intent, but for me, this inspired further exploration into the cause of this frustrator. What can be gained from dumping the user into this error state?
DavidGretzschel

Well, I had a seperate thread for "remove the pig".
This thread's intent is specifically "at least put lipstick on the pig", as you so nicely put it.

--
---
---

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software