DavidGretzschel
what it does:
does the same thing as Notes>insert Link to Thought, but will automatically create a Jump or Child-link from the current Thought to the linked Thought,
[obviously won't work from and to Link-Notes, as a Link cannot be linked]

reasoning:
So Text-To-Thought Links can be automatically bidirectional and a Zettelkasten system can be implemented by the user without a lot of overhead.

more reasoning:
After linking from within my Note to a Thought, I'd want to immediately link the Thought containing that Note to that Thought as well.
As either a Jump-Link or as Child-link the linked Thought (which would make sense if you're linking to a tag and would want the Thought to show that tag).

A tag would not only be a way to give a Thought an attribute, but would also be have the secondary function as a reference hub whenever I mention the tag in a text (and I decided to link to it).
This would be one way to turn TheBrain into a Zettelkasten, without overspecifying how the user implements it.
I could even keep those functionalities of a tag seperate, by choosing to use jump links to a tag.
[maybe a user thinks that Zettelkasten-style links always go to tags, maybe to normal Thoughts, maybe they're Jump or Child-links, maybe some combination; this being up to the user would allow for a many different implementations of a Zettelkasten-system]

Thought in TheBrain-Brain:
https://bra.in/3qzgDb

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

DavidGretzschel
example for clarity:

In Thought "diary", I have the following Note:
---
At the weeding I played catch with my nephew. Generally he's a very pleasant and easygoing kid.
But he doesn't like sitting still for long periods of time (who does?!). He likes playing basketball, though.
---

nephew is linked to the tag "Axel Gretzschel", since the Thought mentions him, the Thought has a Jump-link
to that Thought as well. This was all done with just one command.

use case:
Axel is family, but I rarely see him.
Whenever I know I'll know I meet my nephew again, I can just look up the Thought "Axel Gretzschel".
From there I'll know all my previous noteworthy interactions with my nephew and bring a basketball to play with,
so I can be a good uncle.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

--
---
---

DavidGretzschel
Note that of course I could have decided to not use TextToThought-links and just added Jump-Links.
However imagine writing your diary and you talk about an evening where you meet ten new people!
Creating the Jump-Thoughts from right within the Notes, whilst you're writing them is much more efficient.

example:
Thought name: diary of 21.1.2020

Dear Diary,
.... [other stuff happened]
Today I was invited at Leona's house for family dinner. It's a magnificent house!
When I build my own house, I'll want to look for inspirtation there.
She introduced me to her parents Bruno and Jeanne and to her brother Karl who's actually a combat diver!
Never met one of those, before! We talked about CrossFitnutrition and Wim Hof.
He's very knowledgeable about those things and should I want to decide to get back into strength training,
I might ask him for advice.
Dinner was was lasagna and Jeanne was happy to share the recipe.

Assume that everything that's is bolded was linked and backlinked via Jump-Thoughts to "diary of 21.1.2020".
That's a lot of links. Being able to effiicently add them and have them be backtrackeable
without having to leave the Contents-area would be a huge boon!
This is all theoretically possible with TheBrain already, but it's just too many steps, too slow and too difficult.
I'd have to first write my diary and then reread everything again and do about a dozen extra steps.

--
---
---

mcaton

David,

I can see how some might want the additional jump link in some scenarios, but this could clutter a Brain for others. I think the beauty of the Link to Thought in notes is that the jump link (or child/parent) is NOT visualized. Sort of like saying... here's something related if you WANT to know more, but it's not important enough to visualize a link in the plex... None the less, I'll document the request and see if this thread picks up any traction.

Thanks,
Matt

DavidGretzschel

It's very much intended for those who would want to harness the power of a Zettelkasten system.
It would make text-links bidirectional automatically.

re: clutter
I'm asking for additional commands not for replacing the current command.
For me personally I figured that I would want to use tags for text-mentions, but would not want a Thought to have loads of tags itself,
only because it has a long text with lots of references.

Hence I'd text-link to a tag with a Jump-link.
The current behviour is: You can't create a Jump-Link from a tag, but you can create a Jump-Link to a tag.
That's actually convenient in a way, because it means that most tags don't have Jump-links at the moment.
So the tag would play two roles at once. All the tagged Thoughts are below it. All the text referenced-Thoughts are to the left of it.

Alternatively one could designate an area of the Plex to contain all the reference Thoughts. A glossary, basically.
Then one might want to use Notes>insert Link to Thought (and add Thought as Child) perhaps.

My Brain at the moment has 2102 Thoughts, but merely 2123 Links. Giving me 1.01 Links per Thought.
So one in hundred links is a Jump-Link.
I'm obviously struggling with making my Brain really connective. It's pretty much just a tree.

That's what makes Roam so powerful. Each time something is put into those [[....]] brackets (which one learns to quickly do as as a matter of routine).
In TheBrain this could be easily emulated via Jump-Thoughts.

--
---
---

DavidGretzschel
Not sure if this thread will pick up much action. It's a somewhat complicated request and people don't like reading walls of text.
Though many people here are flirting with Roam, because of this very functionality.

I'll see if I can show some visual examples, though.

--
---
---

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software