DavidGretzschel
I'm pleasantly staring into my brain, letting my thougths wander or perhaps wandering thru my thoughts.....
and then all of a sudden I notice in the top middle of my screen, that TB11 is syncing.
My eyes reflexively wander towards it and I'm immediately distracted.
Cause they're human eyes and they're evolved to immediately focus towards moving objects.

So please don't add random, non-optional, intermittently appearing and unpredictible animations into my productivity software.
Maybe most people can't be distracted by something minor like that, but enough people can, I am sure.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

metta
@DavidGretzschel ~

You can select the option to turn off automatic syncing using the the drop-down menu next to the sync cloud icon.

I actually recommend selective manual syncing since it allows you to maintain a near-term backup in the cloud, in case you ever need to retrieve any content that was accidentally deleted or overwritten.
DavidGretzschel

@metta
Hmmm.... I really do like the convenience of background sync and not having to worry about it at all though.
I do have a second Windows-machine now and I usually use "sleep" on them, rather than shutdown, leaving "TheBrain" open.
So a sync on program-close wouldn't work either.

And sometimes I do some setup-stuff on the small laptop with the help of my bigger Laptop and I have both laptops on at the same time,
pushing data towards each other via TheBrain.
So that would be an even bigger pain.

re: the backup-aspect
Is there no version history or something like that? Also I'm always pressing ctrl+delete which merely forgets thoughts, which I think just makes them hidden.
Not something I actually appreciate, I think it's incredibly untidy, but I haven't bothered changing that yet, so that would be a kind of backup as well, I believe.
Thinking about backups is a bit too far ahead for me, at the moment.
Maybe what you suggested will make sense for me as well, but I can't know that yet.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

--
---
---

metta
@DavidGretzschel ~

No worries....The beauty of TheBrain is that we can each manage the app the best way we see fit. ÃƒÂ°Ã…¸Ëœâ€°

For me, manual syncing after making major edits is just a natural part of my work flow. I also backup at least once a day for all the reasons detailed in this discussion of manual backups (for whenever you are ready).

Re: Forgotten thoughts ~ You're right. This can function as a short-term back-up for thoughts that have been removed from the plex. I was thinking more of being able to restore the deleted (or edited) contents of a note which can often be retrieved from the cloud if automatic syncing is not turned on.

Also, FWIW, if you want an option that is more tidy than forgetting thoughts, Shift+Right Click provides an option for deleting (instead of forgetting) thoughts, if that's what you prefer.

Re: Version History ~ There is a list of recent changes, but I'm not aware of a version control option that would allow us to restore the previous version of an edited note, for example. Would love to know more about this feature, if it does it exist...
mcaton
David,

Thanks for posting. I'll document your request.

Matt
mcaton
Metta,

FYI - I feel that I should let you know that if you have a Pro Combo account, the animation of the cloud icon may still kick in from time to time as your BrainBox may be syncing... even if auto sync is turned off for your current open Brain.

Matt
metta
Understood and observed, @mcaton ~ Thanks.

Also, my understanding is the cloud icon kicks in periodically to check for changes in the web client, and then notify me of remote changes.
metta
@DavidGretzschel ~

Just now stumbled on this old discussion in my forum archive, and I had 2 afterthoughts....which may (or may not) be relevant at this point....

Is there no version history or something like that?
Realized I never answered this question....If you were asking about the version history on thoughts, it is available in the hamburger menu in the thought properties box, which I trust you have found by now?

Also I'm always pressing ctrl+delete which merely forgets thoughts, which I think just makes them hidden.Not something I actually appreciate, I think it's incredibly untidy, but I haven't bothered changing that yet, so that would be a kind of backup as well, I believe.
This does provide a bit of a backup, David, but after gradually forgetting 900+ thoughts in TB8, I discovered this eventually did begin to impact performance (speed).

For this reason, I nearly always delete all my thoughts now (instead of forgetting them) since I don't want to have the additional housekeeping task of managing forgotten thoughts.

DavidGretzschel

@metta
I did discover the "recent changes"-menu and they made it prettier in a recent update even.
Eric also showed me how he uses this somehow in a very special way, that he finds helpful.

I haven't found much use for it yet, though.
Can't really speak for October-David (he was still somewhat confused by TheBrain), but I think he was thinking more about the ability to restore a deleted Thought, same way you can recover deleted files in Dropbox, because it simply tracks every change ever made in a versioning system. (iirc, been a while since I used Dropbox)
I suppose forgotten Thoughts would be able to fulfill the same functionality, though.
The performance issue is a bummer though. Do they affect Plex-performance even when not visible?
I think it still might make sense for my inventory. Each possesion I have would have two parents. One for current use-location, one for store-location.
Instead of having both parents visible (or only the current one), I could just switch which one of the Thoughts is forgotten.

Ideally I'd prefer something with advanced link types that can be tag-controlled, but that's a rather vague and overambitious feature-request.
[something like Thought has a parent-link A to its usual storage location, parent-link B to its usual use location, only one of which is visible.
By executing a command on a keybinding, I'd automatically toggle the smart-tag "in use", which would determine which link it's connected to. Maybe possible with an API someday.]

--
---
---

metta
The performance issue is a bummer though. Do they affect Plex-performance even when not visible?
Based on my experience in TB8, definitely, yes. I do not know at what point these performance (speed) issues began to be noticeable, but by the time I had forgotten over 900 thoughts, it was definitely an issue -- and once all these thoughts were deleted, performance immediately returned to normal. [As it turned out, I rarely (if ever) accessed these forgotten thoughts, so there was little reason for me to keep them in the first place.]

In light of this, I have not tested the potential performance impact of forgotten thoughts in any of the newer versions of TheBrain (9-10-11). However, I suppose the potential impact of forgotten thoughts on performance on the new platform might be less significant than it was in TB8. Hopefully someone from TheBrain team could speak to this issue? @mcaton

FWIW, my alternative now to forgetting thoughts is to use greyed out "Archive" thought types for any thoughts I think I might want to access at a later date. Otherwise, thoughts that are no longer needed are now deleted, instead of forgotten.
DavidGretzschel
Were that 900 Thoughts in total? Or were they a bunch of forgotten Thoughts clustered in one Plex?
TheBrain does like rendering its invisible stuff (like in sub-request 1), so I could see that being an issue.
I guess, I'll keep that in mind, whenever I end up experimenting with forgetting stuff.

--
---
---

metta
@DavidGretzschel ~

900 thoughts total, spread throughout the brain, and deleted gradually over time.

FWIW, in general, I tend to limit the number of child thoughts in a single view by building deeply nested hierarchies of parent/child relationships.
DavidGretzschel
Interesting. Though I highly mistrust TB8.
Even the premade education template was so slow and broken, I ran away screaming within minutes.

--
---
---

metta
Interesting. Though I highly mistrust TB8.
 @DavidGretzschel ~

This is why I asked someone from TB team to comment on whether this performance/speed issue would be a problem on the new platform. Since 9-10-11 were rebuilt from the ground up, forgotten thoughts might not be as problematic as they were in TB8 -- we can hope.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software