zenrain
I know this has been requested before, but please, please, please allow best fit (type ahead) on the Tags and Types dropdown lists on the Thought Creation and Thought Attribute windows.

Being able to type the first one or two letters of the type and tag name to go to it and then space to select it would be incredibly helpful and a big time saver for people with a lot of types or tags.

macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
pthompson
Thanks zenrain. This has been documented already.
perry
Can I reiterate my +1 zaenrain's reiteration? [wink]

korm
+1 -- useful
zenrain wrote:
Being able to type the first one or two letters of the type and tag name to go to it and then space to select it

... but isn't the normal action in a type-ahead to press "tab" not "space" -- usually space terminates the type ahead but tab confirms the selection.

[6dgW9xN] 

(Editted image to indicate the process to select an item other than the first completion proposal)
pthompson
Looking at some of the responses here, perhaps I misunderstood what was originally requested. 

korm, your last response makes perfect sense and that is what I thought was being requested.

zenrain, can you clarify what you mean by "best fit"? Is korm's description what you were describing?
zenrain
What I mean is when creating a thought and are in the thought creation window:
ThoughtCreation.png 
You press tab after typing the name of the thought. You press space to activate the Thought Type button (current behavior in TheBrain 8). You then start typing m and the selection automatically goes to the first item in the list that starts with M (Marsupial), you type the next letter i and it goes to Mississippi (or you arrow down to navigate to your choice). You press space and it selects that Thought type. You then tab to go to the Tags button.

macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
pthompson
zenrain wrote:
What I mean is when creating a thought and are in the thought creation window:
ThoughtCreation.png 
You press tab after typing the name of the thought. You press space to activate the Thought Type button (current behavior in TheBrain 8). You then start typing m and the selection automatically goes to the first item in the list that starts with M (Marsupial), you type the next letter i and it goes to Mississippi (or you arrow down to navigate to your choice). You press space and it selects that Thought type. You then tab to go to the Tags button.

Got it! Thanks. Documented. I've just double checked though and typing while Types or Tags are displayed during Thought creation does not change what is selected.
perry
It will certainly be great to be able to not take fingers off the keyboard when creating / editing Thoughts!

But my personal preference would be to have an OmniBar approach so everything can be done in the Thought Name (current best practice for browsers and how we're all being trained)... so something like:
  1. Type 'M' and Marsupial displays
  2. Type 'i' and Mississippi displays
  3. Type TAB and 'Mississippi ' is inserted
  4. Type '!' and '!Animal' is displayed
  5. Type 'R' and '!Rainbow' is displayed
  6. Type 'i' and '!River' is displayed
  7. Type TAB to select and '!River ' is inserted
  8. Type '#' and '#About' is displayed
  9. Type 'A' and '#About' is displayed
  10. Type 'm' and '#Ambulatory' is displayed
  11. Type 'e' and '#America' is displayed
  12. Type TAB to select and '#America ' is inserted

perry
displaying in the Thought Name with intellisense...
korm
perry wrote:
But my personal preference would be to have an OmniBar approach so everything can be done in the Thought Name (current best practice for browsers and how we're all being trained)... [snip/example]

That's a good approach and, in my opinion, more usable.
zenrain
perry wrote:
But my personal preference would be to have an OmniBar approach so everything can be done in the Thought Name (current best practice for browsers and how we're all being trained)

This request is for best fit for the Thought Type and Tags drop down list, not the thought name.
So to be clear, are you asking to be able to add thought types and tags from the name also? Looking at your examples, I'm guessing you are requesting that if you type "Perry !Person #Important" it will create a thought with the name Perry, the type of Person and the Important tag. Is this correct?
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
perry
zenrain wrote:

This request is for best fit for the Thought Type and Tags drop down list, not the thought name.

Yes... but it's not totally off-topic as it's about creating / setting Thought Types and Tags [smile]

zenrain wrote:

So to be clear, are you asking to be able to add thought types and tags from the name also? Looking at your examples, I'm guessing you are requesting that if you type "Perry !Person #Important" it will create a thought with the name Perry, the type of Person and the Important tag. Is this correct?

Wouldn't that be fantastic? Although, I'm not sure about "#Important" [wink]

It was mentioned somewhere else, and as it was related to this thread I thought I'd take the opportunity to keep it in sight of the devs [smile]

Personally, I think software should implement various methods of getting to a result, so I wouldn't want to exclude mouse driven... but personally I'd love to be simply keyboard driven too.
zenrain
Quote:
Yes... but it's not totally off-topic as it's about creating / setting Thought Types and Tags [smile]

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that this was off topic, it was to verify that we are both talking about the same thing. [biggrin]
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software