I don't get it 1 vote
16%
 I want it ! 4 votes
66%
 Can we have butter bread also ? 1 vote
16%
 Yeah, why not 0 votes
0%
Multiple choice poll. Please sign up or log in to vote.
I would love you to support "typed" thoughts [smile]

I thought of specific "type" would have (pre)defined categories attached to it.

So a wikipedia type of thought would, by definition, support some specific functionality / have "attributes" like "definition" that could be filled.

Other typed thoughts I'd really like to see would be the PIM ones (calendar, contact, ...) + date.

Those are "more" than just regular/standard thoughts ...

pthompson
Can you provide more detail on what you mean by this? We already have Thought Types that support individual icons, labels, colors, etc. per Type that are automatically assigned to a Thought when you assign it that Thought Type.
advisors

pthompson wrote:
We already have Thought Types that support individual icons, labels, colors, etc. per Type that are automatically assigned to a Thought when you assign it that Thought Type.

tx Patrick for jumping in.

I know that.

Remember that thing that was called "The Brain Uservoice" ?

That feature request was second most wished for feature.

Actually, it was once said that "the underlying architecture for structured data inside of Brains is now working in our development labs" (in july 2009).

I won't name the admin that voiced that, but I'm sure he'll recognise himself [smile]

/Update

Corrected the date. It was in in july 2009 not early 2007. My bad.

zenrain
I absolutely want this feature as well.
But you can see here for the latest update on the status of this from the "Admin who voiced it" himself...  [smile]
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
perry
Who wouldn't want this feature? I'm sure I voted on UserVoice [smile] But it's obviously a hugely hard nut to crack
advisors
perry wrote:
Who wouldn't want this feature? I'm sure I voted on UserVoice [smile] But it's obviously a hugely hard nut to crack

Not necessarily.

Not if you introduce it progressively, in an Agile way.

Let's say for example they decide to support "Date/time" typed thoughts.
(That would be the easiest IMHO, and the most requested feature on UserVoice by the way).

It's already present ...
(Right click, details)
Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 11.19.11.png 

Every thought has a "modified" and "created" attributes.

Now instead of hiding it in "Details", all that is need, is visualise it somehow, likely allow us to edit that information, search/order ... on it AND keep a history of modifications (that's also already largely present/implemented).

Than in a later phase, they could allow us to Timelapse our Brain [smile]

Next step would be to support some specific typed thoughts.

I'd suggest/start with the PIM ones (contacts, calendar).
These should have specific attributes (as supported by the underlying PIM).
These attributes/fields could be filled (or not).

If they're not filled, it's just a regular thought.
Contact, name being the default thought name f.ex.

After time + PIM typed thought, we'd all (the dev team and us users/customers) have a better understanding of what is really needed, what can be easily implemented and what would need a more complete app/database architecture revamp.

It's called an "incremental" approach, and from I can guess/feel, the dev team is (finally) taking a scrum/sprint approach.

In each iteration the dev team decides (with the project owner and management) what the next sprint/iteration should entail, based on the product backlog.

Some tactic/strategic/purelly pragmatic/operational decisions are made, and here we go, next iteration will entail an alpha implementation of "Date/Time" typed thoughts for us to "play" with.
No promise made as for it's final implementation, it's just part of the regular analysis/design process.

2 years ago I had no hope that would ever happen @TB.

Now I can feel the internal approach/mood @TB has changed, and I see this happen sometime in a (not to far I hope [smile] ) future.

And we (users/customers) will/would simply be part of the design process.

(Just my 2 cts ... [smile] )

/Update
Just checked, please tell me the ability to see a Thought detail is not gone in TB 9 ?!
pshanks
I wish The Brain would give us access to date fields like Evernote and then being able to report on them.

2016-01-28_5-24-41.jpg 

TheBrain 11.0.120.0, iOS V10.0.
Windows 10 (V19041), Windows 7 SP1, OS X V10.15.x
Using The Brain since V3 (1999)

perry
advisors wrote:

Just checked, please tell me the ability to see a Thought detail is not gone in TB 9 ?!

I'm sure it will return when the devs get to it... 
mcaton
Quote:
Quote:
I'm sure it will return when the devs get to it...

Just verified that it's on the list.

[comp]

Thanks,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software