DavidGretzschel

When I press Alt+Tab or Windows+Tab (pictured), all I see for context is "TheBrain".
That's not very helpful in quickly distinguishing between 10 instances at a time, who all first and foremost will show me the same Plex wallpaper!
In this screenshot, you can see that the Chrome-Window I'm right in is showing me the current context of the action, I'm taking in it.
"Posting New Topic", which is very helpful, when juggling multiple Chrome Windows.

Please use the Window-title for displaying the currently active Thought, so that one can similarly easily navigate between multiple TB-Windows.

Pasted Image.jpg 

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

metta
@DavidGretzschel ~

Not sure how this would work for those of us who have multiple brains open within the same window.

How are you imagining this would work?

Also, FWIW, there is a preference setting for turning OFF the brain name on the brain tab. This allows the active thought name to display, instead. Is there any chance this might help?
> See Options > Preferences > Behavior > Other > Hide Brain Name in Tabs
DavidGretzschel
@metta
I already know about the tab setting (marked in blue). I use that occasionally, when making bug videos in my personal Brain to mask my active Thought.
Though I mostly don't work with multiple Brains.

I care about the Window-title (marked in red), also displaying whatever the active tab of that window is. It would be helpful to have a setting that would toggle the Window-title to "current Brain & active Thought" seperately, in addition to only "active Thought", I suppose.

It's mainly for quicker alt+tab and win+tab navigation, because the window-title is the most salient feature for that.
At the moment it only says "TheBrain" for the window-title, and that's just a waste.
If you ctrl+tab within a window to change tabs, you don't have the problem at all since you're not alt+tabbing (to change between windows), so it doesn't need to work for that.

[unless you're thinking that having the window-title not be "TheBrain" would be confusing, if you have multiple windows, that also have multiple tabs, which I don't know..... are you?]
Pasted Image.png 

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

--
---
---

DavidGretzschel
Ah for context.....I don't want to use tabs, because tabs are very slow. If you have ten tabs open, you'd have to grab the mouse or do a lot of ctrl+tab-clicks to change between views.

And I'm trying to be able to see all major aspects of my org system at once (or have the switch time between aspects of it be less than one second), because this makes it a lot more salient.
If it's fast enough it stops being something that's outside of my (organic) brain and actually becomes an extension of it.
For that, it has to keep up with the speed of thought.

--
---
---

metta
@DavidGretzschel ~
I already know about the tab setting (marked in blue). I use that occasionally, when making bug videos in my personal Brain to mask my active Thought. 
I assumed you were aware of it, David. Had just hoped it might suffice.

Though I mostly don't work with multiple Brains.
Thanks for clarifying

I care about the Window-title (marked in red), also displaying whatever the active tab of that window is.
Understood

It would be helpful to have a setting that would toggle the Window-title to "current Brain & active Thought" seperately, in addition to only "active Thought", I suppose.
Ah, I see....You're requesting a dynamically changing window name, then. Is this common in other applications?

To honest, I can't say that I ever noticed this functionality anywhere else before....but then I wasn't looking for it, either.

[unless you're thinking that having the window-title not be "TheBrain" would be confusing, if you have multiple windows, that also have multiple tabs, which I don't know..... are you?
I typically have 3-5 brain tabs open in 1 window -- and it never occurred to me that it might be feasible (is it?) for the Window name to change to match the visible tab. It is not a feature I would need, since the tabs provide that functionality for me.

But I do see that in your use case (1 brain, multiple windows) it would be helpful to have the brain/thought identifier at the window level instead of the tab level.....And, I don't think this functionality would be confusing in my use case. In fact, it might even be helpful in the rare instances where I might have multiple windows open with multiple brain tabs in each....
DavidGretzschel

I think all web browsers have it and the Windows file explorer has it. It's definitely feasible for some very important programs.
What can and can't easily be implemented in TheBrain, I don't really know.
Depends on details about how the GUI of TheBrain is built. I can only hope it's feasible and request it.

--
---
---

metta
👍
mcaton
David,

To be clear, you would like the Tab name (Brain name and current active thought) to be the Window Title.  Correct?

Matt
DavidGretzschel
Yes.
Personally that's not a relevant distinction, since I usually don't like tabs and would only have one tab per window,
but that's definitely how it should work, if a window has more than one tab.

--
---
---

mcaton
Thanks. I'll document the request.

Matt
DavidGretzschel
I'd like to add that recently WindowWalker has been added to the set of official Microsoft OpenSource PowerToys.
https://lifehacker.com/microsofts-latest-windows-powertoys-are-awesome-1842642389
https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys
With that you can quickly switch between windows by pressing ctrl+window and entering the first letters of the window-title.
This is an excellent way of quickly switching between windows.
However at the moment it is sadly of no use whatsoever for TheBrain, since that doesn't put the Thoughts in the window-title.
The program alt-tab-terminator which I use as a replacement for the normal alt+tab functionality also has a simlilar feature that can't be used to its full potential, because for the lack of window titles.

--
---
---

mcaton
Thanks David. Added to the documentation for review.

Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software