I don't get it 1 vote
14%
 I want it ! 5 votes
71%
 Can we have butter bread instead ? 1 vote
14%
 Yeah, why not 0 votes
0%
Multiple choice poll. Please sign up or log in to vote.

Could you ease wikipedia integration ?

Like provide a "lookup in wikipedia" functionality and/or allow us to add wikipedia definitions as "special" (wikipedia) thoughts ?

I use wikipedia as my "definition" media ("dictionary"), and would love NOT TO HAVE to add the whole wikipedia library into my brains, YET be able to use wikipedia's definition in my thoughts.

(See what I mean ?).

TIA and keep up the great work !!

advisors
tx zenrain [tongue]
Harlan
Options > Web Search > Edit > Add New. Type Wikipedia and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search/TARGETSTRING in the dialog.

If you have something else in mind beyond this, let us know.
Regards,
-Harlan
perry
Yep: like the idea, as opposed to having the site open in the browser.

Initially following Harlan's directions I was expecting something inside TB's internal browser (obviously first WebSearch in TB9 [wink] )

I think the idea has lots of potential (if not a huge degree of feature creep)... But I wondered about a Thought Type that could have the URL Search String defined (which it can already do) and takes the Thought Title as the TARGETSTRING and loads the result into the internal browser: that would be funky.
advisors
Harlan wrote:
Options > Web Search > Edit > Add New. Type Wikipedia and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search/TARGETSTRING in the dialog.

This is already great, tx !

Now can I have a little more ? [smile]

With this feature/option I can add Wikipedia (or whatever other search) to the list of supported searches.
This is really appreciated.

Now I still have to click Options, Web search (or cmd+e), then select the search engine and click search.

Could I get a "wiki shortcut/accelerator" ?
Or more generally speaking, would it be possible to add a "define shortcut/accelerator" to this list ?

Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 08.09.32.png 
(So I could cmd+w (or whatever ...) into wikipedia).

I still think you should treat wikipedia like a special type of thought.
Wikipedia's information is well structured, and it would be nice to support us in integrating it's information.

Here's a use case.

As mentioned, I often / usually rely on wikipedia for concept/thought definition.

I add some thought/concept to my brain, let's say "Thermodynamics".

Now I don't remember it's exact definition / want to add it's definition from wikipedia.

Thanks to the option you mention I can now cmd+e (why "e" ?! [tongue]) into wikipedia, which is a great added value.

I can/could now drag and drop the wikipedia url to my thought and thanks to the new inplace preview, I'm almost happy [smile]

Now I'm likely not interested in the full wikipedia definition.
In my example, I'd like to "associate" Thermodynamics with "Thermodynamics is a branch of physics concerned with heat and temperature and their relation to energy and work."

I can of course copy/paste that into my thought.
But if you'd allowed me to lookup a thought definition (from wikipedia in my/this case), select some text as it's "definition" (let's call this "wikipedia lookup") and refer to it easily later on, I'd really appreciate.

So far, I copy and paste that "definition" after the thought name.
So I'd name my thought something like: "Thermodynamics: is a branch of physics concerned with heat and temperature and their relation to energy and work".

But long thought names cluter the plex.

I can of course copy and paste that definition into the "Notes" field, but then I'll loose the inplace preview (of the associated link).
And if I append the definition to the thought name, as mentioned above (Thermodynamics: is a branch of physics concerned with heat and temperature and their relation to energy and work) I now loose the search functionality (as the thought needs to be named exactly as in Wikipedia in order for it to function / find it).

So, here I am.
Anything you'd be willing to do to help me (and my guess is that others might appreciate that functionality) "better integrate with wikipedia" I'd really appreciate.

perry wrote:
I wondered about a Thought Type that could have the URL Search String defined and takes the Thought Title as the TARGETSTRING and loads the result into the internal browser: that would be funky.

Yeah, something in this direction.
Being able to "associate" a thought with a definition (from wikipedia in my case/example).

Another solution would be to support "typed" thoughts [smile]
A wikipedia type of thought would, by definition, support some specific functionality / have "attributes" like "definition" that could be filled.

Other typed thoughts I'd really like to see would be the PIM ones (calendar, contact, ...) + date.
Those are "more" than just regular thoughts.

And typed thoughts could allow to support them all accordingly.

Just my regular 2 cts [smile]
pthompson
 Another option, instead of adding the definition to the Thought name, is to add it to the Thought label so when you hover over the Thought you see the definition.

Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 8.17.12 AM.png 

advisors
Right, nice ! ^^

I'm not really using "label" so far.
Most of the time when you drag and drop links from the net it (the label) is empty.
Some sites get their site name into it.
Some other get useless data into it (like "Home" ...).

But it's the kind of end result I'm looking for !

Now that would still be a "copy and paste" approach.
And if I could avoid to c&p wikipedia into my brain ...
perry
pthompson wrote:
 Another option, instead of adding the definition to the Thought name, is to add it to the Thought label so when you hover over the Thought you see the definition.

Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 8.17.12 AM.png 

What a great option!

Even greater as the label text is also searched [smile]
mcaton
Quote:
Even greater as the label text is also searched

Documented.

Thanks,
Matt
perry
mcaton wrote:
Quote:
Even greater as the label text is also searched

Documented.

Do you mean it's not in TB9, because it is in TB8?

I still like my embedded search query into the Thought Type that would take the Thought Title as the TARGETSTRING [wink], as that would add a huge amount of intuitive functional improvement... and gives an easy ability to copy & paste into the label without having to leave TB [thumb]
mcaton
Perry,

You are correct, label searching is not yet operational in v9.

Thank you,
Matt
advisors
Harlan wrote:

This was in v8 and I didn't knew it ...

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software