danlandrum
I have my preferences set to "On click active thought: Do Nothing." I like it that way for navigation. However, I wish I could double-click the active thought and open up properties. The double-click motion is so entrenched in our computer use it seems unusual for it to do nothing here. The need is more noticeable using a track pad than a mouse with right-click. (I know that I can do a two finger click or control-click and open up the submenu to choose Show Thought Properties, but that takes quite a bit more time.)

Perhaps we could have an option menu for "On double-click active thought: Do ______?"  

I think it would be an added bonus if it took a double-click to open attachments from the thought icon, rather than a single click like it does now. I find myself accidentally opening attachments now and then. My .02.  No deal breakers here, just observations from realtime use. 
OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Cerebrum
I agree.
When I first started using version 9, I found it very annoying that every time that I clicked on a thought, I went into "edit mode". This made no sense to me. Then I found the setting in Preferences and I selected "Do nothing" for "On click active Thought". Much better, but now whenever I want to edit a thought (after selecting it with the mouse), I have two choices: right-mouse click and go down to the last item in the list - Show Thought Properties - or use the keyboard and press Ctrl-Enter and then go back to the mouse to select various properties. (There's a third "worst" option: Go to Thought in the main menu and go down to the last choice.) For some of Thought properties there are keyboard alternatives but often a mouse click is the most intuitive way of selecting. 

The most "obvious" choice to edit a Thought is to double-click. 

Harlan
Thanks for the suggestion. FYI, if you want edit the active thought, you can just press "Enter", no need for any additional keys.
Regards,
-Harlan
danlandrum
In Brain prefs, when I try to make Edit Thought Properties work with just the Enter key I get a red letter warning that says Modifier key required:
Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 7.29.59 AM.jpg 

That's why I've added the option key. It would be nice if just pressing Enter worked. I just discovered that option-clicking (Sierra) also edits the thought.
OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Harlan
Just pressing Enter should work (and does for me) - this is a setting that cannot be changed. It is shown in under "Navigation > Navigate Enter".

Arrow Keys and Enter let you activate thoughts using the keyboard. If you press Enter while on the active thought, its properties open.

It will not work if you are hovering over a different thought. For that, you can Alt/Option+Click or Alt/Option+Enter (this is the setting you were trying to change, shown as "Thought > Show Thought Properties").
Regards,
-Harlan
danlandrum
Ok I just figured it out. On a MacBook the Return key is not an Enter key. You have to hold down the option key to make it function like an Enter key. See the image below. The little letters "alt" on the option key indicate it is needed for the Return key to function as an "Enter" key. IMG_1214.JPG   
OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Cerebrum
Harlan wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. FYI, if you want edit the active thought, you can just press "Enter", no need for any additional keys.
Which version of TheBrain are you using? [wink]
Pressing "Enter" does not allow me to edit the active thought if "On click active Thought" is set to "Do nothing".

Also, to clarify, when I had it set to "Open Properties" and the thought had only one hyperlink or one attachment, and I tried opening it by clicking on the left part of the thought, I would sometimes miss the target and open properties by mistake. Also, if I clicked on a thought that had a web link that opened in the internal browser, I was clicking on the thought a second time because I thought that (somehow) it would take me to Notes. Doesn't really make sense, I know.

I've just tried changing the setting to ""Open Properties" and I realize that it's not so bad. I just have to be slightly more aware about where to click.

Harlan
danlandrum wrote:
On a MacBook the Return key is not an Enter key. You have to hold down the option key to make it function like an Enter key. 

I am on a MacBook also - fn key is not necessary for key to open thought properties.

Cerebrum wrote:
Pressing "Enter" does not allow me to edit the active thought if "On click active Thought" is set to "Do nothing".

That's the problem... This is a bug. Enter/Return key should open properties regardless of this setting. We'll get this fixed...
Regards,
-Harlan
Cerebrum
Okay, but that must be some nasty bug: It changed the main menu and the shortcut menu to say "Ctrl+Enter" next to "Show Thought Properties" ...
danlandrum
Excellent. Progress. [smile]

OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Harlan
Cerebrum wrote:
Okay, but that must be some nasty bug: It changed the main menu and the shortcut menu to say "Ctrl+Enter" next to "Show Thought Properties" ...

That is not part of the bug. There are two different keyboard commands, as described in my earlier post.
Regards,
-Harlan
zenrain
On a MacBook Pro running Sierra here also. Pressing Return (no modifiers) to open the properties of the active thought works for me also. 
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
mcaton
In our latest build, the Return/Enter key should now open Thought Properties when click active thought is set to "do nothing"

Thank you,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software