fernandopcoelho
One of the my missing functionalities in TheBrain is the possibility of email to it, like is possible in many other apps with an Inbox feature. Will this be a feature in this new version?
Harlan
This is one of the purposes of the inbox that can be seen in the "add attachment" screen. However, this feature is not included in the preview release.
Regards,
-Harlan
zenrain
Awesome, this will be very useful!
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
danlandrum
The coming ability to email to TheBrain is very exciting. 
OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
HarmenB
hello dear TheBrain

wouldn't it be huge plus to add an internal messenger that can:

create a mail/ message
saves that mail as child to the thought from which the messenger is started (i.e. add message function)
saves the body in the notes section, saves attachments with the same thought

more advanced even would be:
when that created message has an unique ID than a reply to it maybe could be added automaticly

I think what i say will be very difficult to build in (maybe). But IF it will be possible than the brain becomes even more THE tool to manage daily work

Harmen
PS i also will post this as feature request
sibleyd
Very good ideas. I always drag and drop my outlook emails into the brain but it would be great if outgoing emails could be created initially inside the brain. Incoming emails are more dificult because where do they go in the brain? I don't see an inbox thought as that useful because moving an attachment from one thought to another actually May take more effort than moving the email from outlook to the brain. The brain would almost need to have the ability to know where to put the incoming email whether by "rules" or otherwise for automatic receipt of emails into the brain to be useful. Ideally, one could right click on attachments and add any type of new file. I think this works with some types of new files but not all. I am not sure if the Brain could make this functionality available for all file types not just file types where it otherwise exists naturally.
Harlan
Interesting idea Harmen. Doing that would almost make TB into your email client...

The inbox as it is being developed will function as a general source that is available for all thoughts in all brains. When you email something to your brain account, it will appear in the inbox, not attached to any one thought. You then activate the thought where you wish to add it, click "add attachment", then click the inbox and select the item you want to attach. It will then be moved out of the inbox and added to the thought. Make sense?

If you want to see this concept in action, take a look at the iOS version of TheBrain. In iOS, you send items to TheBrain and they appear in the inbox, just like we are planning for TB9.
Regards,
-Harlan
perry
I think if TB accepted emails (obviously planned) and could email out (using a thought as the basis?) would be extremely useful!

We obviously do a lot of work in TB, and being able to easily and quickly get some of that out via email (and not having to copy/paste etc) would be very helpful in some circumstances. I don't think it would replace your email client, but certainly make TB 'The Email Client' for the aspects that TB is used for.

I've used Compendium for Dialogue Mapping, and it had that functionality as well.
advisors
+1 for inbox

Getting more, more easily into the Brain would always be appreciated.

More than one "inbox" / channel might be useful.

I would love to send all my "news" to a "news" channel, without cluttering my inbox.
Same with mail, which I'd love to send to a "mail" channel.

Evernote allows me to do exactly this, by specifying the "channel" (folder) in the subject prefixed with "@".

So if I want to forward a news to my news channel / folder in Evernote, I simply forward it adding @news at the end of the subject.
Easy and straightforward ...

By the way (but I may create a different topic for it as don't want to troll this topic [smile] ), better integration with Evernote (and other note taking apps ala M$ OneNote) would be really appreciated ...).
PaddyVA
advisors wrote:
+1 for inbox

By the way (but I may create a different topic for it as don't want to troll this topic [smile] ), better integration with Evernote (and other note taking apps ala M$ OneNote) would be really appreciated ...).

Ditto!!
perry
advisors wrote:
Getting more, more easily into the Brain would always be appreciated.

More than one "inbox" / channel might be useful.

++1

You do something similar to this in Trello by using a distinct email address per 'board'
HarmenB

Hello sibleyd/ moderator and others

Already one can create an standard mail from any thought by adding an mailtemplate into thebrain.
Clicking that will launch the mailclient and you can edit your template message and send it.
However afterwards i always will have to manually drag and drop the send mail if i want it in the brain.

I understand that a cc mail will be better than that when an inbox will become avaiable.

Still I think when TheBrain manages to expand/ develop this further than just an inbox, than I (and others) will be able to manage everything much more EFFECTIVELY from thebrain.

So my feature request is more than an Inbox:

making mail /message functionality avaible internal in thebrain
Mail from any thought: because you are working on that and it would be a huge (time)profit when being able to compose and send from it and knowing it will be saved there
(TheBrain already made desktop folders non-linear- next step making mailboxes non-linear)
Also one won't neeed a mailclient anymore (reducing the amount of tools i use.....)

And also getting reply to a message into thebrain and being linked to the send message automaticly would be a dream come true (this will of course not be something developped overnight. But i think that's a good way to go)

PS everywhere I say mail doesn't mean that thebrain needs a mailclient within thebrain: lot's of productivity tools already have mail notifications which can be replied to and than they get added to a task, project, customer, person or whatever...... so making a note or attaching a file to a thought which is tagged or typed as 'notificationable' thought would then trigger a message to mailadresses linked in that thought

PS don't get me wrong the inbox feature is also a step in the right direction.... and of course i'm dreaming a bit ...... but dreams can come true and therefore I think it's good to let you know these wishes

Hope this is the direction thebrain wille be going ....…

mcaton
Thanks for the support and additional feature requests on the upcoming inbox.  I'll document your requests for further consideration.

Thank you,
Matt
HarmenB
no thanks matt
i enjoy thinking about this kind development (without thinking about what would be technical possible....i leave to others because that 's their expertise.....;-) )

Harmen

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software