joshsullivan
I would like to request that the search box size be increased and preferably user defined. Currently, as you can see in this screenshot there is a lot of wasted space:

2019-10-25_10-40-23AM.png 
There is a convenient vertical (separation) bar to separate the Search box and the Toggle Display buttons, this would be a great bar to be able to drag and increase the search bar size.

I personally like a larger search bar due to the fact I am often searching for error messages which are rather long.

Thank you for your consideration.

Cheers,
Josh
TheBrain 11 Alpha Channel
Windows 10 2004 Enterprise
metta
+1
reasonablekamikaze
+1
Xavier
+1

For the TheBrain Desktop version and the Web version. And for more clarity, the same location for both versions.
DavidGretzschel

....mostly just thinking out loud about this....
searchBoxUI.png 
I prefer a smaller search box. However I agree that I'd like it to be easier to search for long Thought-names.
That would be accomplished by making the results box much larger.
On the left there's another display of the highlighted Thought-name, so maybe the results box should not expand to the right.
If it were to expand to the left, it would seem awkward, that the spatial relationship between a typed queury and the results seems so disconnected.
The current version is already a compromise, but not a bad one. Not too far away, but still considerably larger.
A line-break for results instead of using the "...." when the results are too long would work, but could look a little ugly.
Might make sense, since there's infinite space below.
The length of the result could also scale the results box, but that could easily appear ugly and unpredictable, too.
Predictability is very important, so that the user feels he's in control of his environment.
I know that's very important to me, at least.
Ideally there would be a checkbox-setting in Preferences>Look&Feel>User Interface called:
giant result-box

Letting the user scale that themself would be a bit awkward, since nobody expects to be able to scale a pop-out element.
They always make a fleeting, ephemeral impression.

The space to the left you point out isn't wasted or empty, though.
A lot of it (maybe all, depending on resolution and scaling) is reserved for the sync notifications, which I personally would like to have the option to disable, because flashy movements are distracting and software should not confront the user with chatter about trivial things.
[omg, you have internet. Oh wow, you made a change. Guess what! I synced that change! Because you indeed have internet! YEEEES! The
internet!]
https://forums.thebrain.com/post/add-option-to-disable-sync-notifications-5940-10298605?highlight=sync&pid=1309790332
Making the search box rescalable would be a nice touch.
I can also see that some users like the sync notifications, though. Or would want them active for a while, to understand when syncing happens or when they're not sure how good their internet is. There's no obvious other space to put it in, except next to the Windows-menu-bar, which would be breaking with UX-convention.
One could also make the Sync-notification resize the search-bar when it comes up, but that could be even more jarring.
tl;dr:
Make sync notifications optional and make it resizable.
Make the results box larger.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

Xavier
WebBrain-Search.png

Same opinion as David, as long as you're finally thinking about expanding the search area of the Web client!

eeik
I'm with Xavier and David, and would encourage us all, at least for the desktop client that is, to think outside of the `existing` box here 😉

690de7f8-2ccc-475b-aeb4-2b1378d111a0.png 

Given the search results above, the remainder of my view within TB can be broken down as follows:
230ee20f-49d0-4838-b9db-af6bab15f81f.png  ... what's that you say? Search? What's that? Who needs that ...

Kidding aside, the search bar and result set on my screen weighs in at 2% of the pixels of my entire monitor with TB maximized.

I've been re-envisioning and expanding upon some mock-ups I was thinking about here, by introducing a hover over search results pane of some sort, perhaps dockable, perhaps not, perhaps modal w/ configurable transparency settings and a light-weight ethereal glow to contain the search, revise search, add/remove typed filter(s), and the tweak search parameters in-line within the result set sort of features all become possible. Right now there is merely a checkbox for childward restriction which, while useful, is woefully under-powerered relative to the half-dozen other categories of search interactions I know would be awesome to have implemented atop our databases.

Super crude early hypothetical, but see below...
Rich Search Modal Experience.png 
Regarding my note above, the "flying through time" link I'm referring to ... this site below has an incredibly light-weight time traversal 3D visualization UX which would be fantastic to weave in to the above modal search for certain thought types and/or to visualize search results contained within a certain vertical hierarchy of thoughts within the plex ... traversing thoughts with events (i.e. w/ date/time) is the obvious win 📆

... either way, inspirational UX lies ahead: 50 Years Swiss Music Charts
dlorde
Quote:
... either way, inspirational UX lies ahead: 50 Years Swiss Music Charts

Cool!
DavidGretzschel
@eeik
re: music chart
I don't mind the box. The box is mostly all right, I think. It just needs to be a little more flexible and a little less dumb.
More visual complexity and flying thru the data is pretty to look at, but not all that useful. So said Jerry Michalski in this video at the 21 minute mark and I thought he made sense.

http://www.visualcomplexity.com/vc/
In VR maybe, but as much as I love gaming with my HTC Vive headset, it's just a couple of years away from productivity applications like that, I think.

re: your mockup
Looks interesting. Makes me wish I had a 32:9, like you do. Or at least had my 4k monitor back that a dear friend of mine keeps hostage at the moment.
I don't really have a place for everything, but like the idea.
I don't really get how you managed to put the taskbar where it is. Even assuming you could modularize and freely configure all of TB to make a gap like that, how would you make Windows or MacOs put the taskbar-stuff there? Something weird with Rainmeter? In Windows you can't really hide or disable the taskbar permanently, since it likes to randomly pop it out and flash a random window. So it's best to make friends with it, at least until they manage to fix that bug.
Which I wouldn't hold my breath for.
You'd really use the inbuilt browser like that? Having only one browser window and using a browser without extensions?
What's even the point? You'd get advertisement, Cookie notifications, DGSTVO-legalese, autoplaying videos.....
Maybe once Chrome-headless allows extensions, but there's no date set for that.

re: pop-up search "experience"
I dunno. Looks neat I guess, but I'm not unhappy with the search so far, as it stands. If I could get my non-fullscreen, non-taskbar-hiding Presentation-mode, I'd be good. It would act like a pop-up in the middle of the screen, since I expect TB11 to only take up half of my screen, anyway. With the 4k-monitor perhaps only a third or fourth, not sure yet.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

mcaton
Thanks everyone for posting.  I'll share your thoughts and feedback with the design team.

Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software