DavidGretzschel

At the moment:
I can't select a link without clicking it. Clicking things is difficult and slow. So interacting with links is very difficult.

What I'd like instead:
alt+arrow-key to select the connecting link instead of the thought in the respective position.
Navigation with arrow keys works well already. When I started using the app, I intuitively assumed that links could be selectable somehow using it.
Now after having navigated to it from my thought with alt+arrow, I'd want the link to be selected. If I press enter (or ctrl+enter) now, I should immediately be able to edit it, like I would a thought. No opening submenues, because that is simply too slow and cumbersome.
With the link selected I would like shortcuts to set the arrow-direction, and for parent-child links I would want a shortcut to change the parent and another shortcut to change the child.
A lot of the frustrations as a new user comes for me witht the fact that gardening is inefficient and slow.

For example I often have a hierarchical structure like this:

Time>year>month>week>day
I find out that having a thought for year is inefficient, so I want to connect Time directly to month.
I can make "month" a child element of "Time" via F6 or likewise "Time" a parent-element of "month" via F7.
Then I would go to "year" and click ctrl+enter. This is unintutiive and slow.
In some other cases I'd still want to have a thought have a different parent element.
The way to do this now, is to add another parent via F8, take my right hand off the keyboard *shudder*, click the tiny line connecting the unwanted parent with the child, right-click it, click unlink.
This is just terrible. Those are all tiny targets (especially with 4k monitors and different scaling settings in the mix) and I often don't have the calm focus needed to pull this off without mistakes.
When I use software, I just want to do the things I want to do, without any delay.
I absolutely do not want to play sadomasochistic hand-eye-coordination mini-games.

(I'm not even a klutz, I'm fine playing video games requiring quick and precise hand movements, but I'm not good at hitting stuff with a little cursor, across different sized-monitors which makes the cursor speed vary and I'm especially not good at doing any of this with the trackpad. Also I often have to look for the cursor first, because it's often white on white background and by the time I found it (or maybe it happens to take the shape of a small grey line on a white background.....), I might just have forgotten what I even intended to do (except that I'm in a bad mood now and don't know exactly why). Stability of attention is a gift, that not everyone has in equal amounts, so please consider this an accessibility-issue, as well.)

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

mcaton
David,

Thank you for the post and for your interest in TheBrain. Yes, a feature request for keyboard navigation to a link has been documented. I'll add your suggested methodology to our report for further review.

Thank you,
Matt
rustada
+1
ruudhein
+1

One of my concerns with software is how likely it is I can use it in older age. With a visual program like TheBrain you have to keep in mind that high precision clicking may become much more difficult as you age. The abundant keyboard shortcuts help a lot with that; to be able to do everything by keyboard we definitely need to be able to select links too. 
Using: Evernote | Filterize | Roam Research | Feedly | Save Page WE | TheBrain v11.0.91.0

(Windows 10)

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software