jotapa
Link types can be, and should be, as relevant as thought types and tags.

They are at the core of the brain functionality - making this a unique product compared with other notes managers or mind mapping solutions.

Instead of being front and center, links get relegated to oblivion in some areas of TB.

We need:
  • The ability to hide certain link types. 
  • The ability to only show or to remove thought linked by a certain link type, or regular links and a specific (maybe several) link type(s). 
  • Better access to the list of link types - with a button at the menu bar like thought types and tags. 
  • To have link types as part of the search/filter functionality - what you call Report - working in a more integrated way with types and tags. 
  • Also, better link type editing capabilities with easy to select options/"templates" for line color, type and width... 

This would improve TB enormously, IMO, adding another layer of knowledge collection, classification nand retrieval.

Your thoughts on this?

Best Regards,
Joao
Harlan
jotapa wrote:

• The ability to hide certain link types. 
  • The ability to only show or to remove thought linked by a certain link type, or regular links and a specific (maybe several) link type(s). 
  • Better access to the list of link types - with a button at the menu bar like thought types and tags. 
  • To have link types as part of the search/filter functionality - what you call Report - working in a more integrated way with types and tags. 
  • Also, better link type editing capabilities with easy to select options/"templates" for line color, type and width... 

Hi Joao,

Filtering of links is something that will need to be addressed as part of an overall filtering feature, a major undertaking.

When you activate a thought type, all the thoughts of that type appear as children. What do you imagine would happen when "activating" a link type?

Link types are integrated into the list of types in the reports section in 9.0.140.

The UI for editing and creating both link and thought types is something that we would like to improve in a future version.
Regards,
-Harlan
jotapa
Harlan wrote:

Hi Joao,

Filtering of links is something that will need to be addressed as part of an overall filtering feature, a major undertaking.

When you activate a thought type, all the thoughts of that type appear as children. What do you imagine would happen when "activating" a link type?

Link types are integrated into the list of types in the reports section in 9.0.140.

The UI for editing and creating both link and thought types is something that we would like to improve in a future version.

Good point: "activating" a link type:...

Either ignore that suggestion - I see why it doesn't work - or make it work the opposite way: instead of selecting a link type, what you do is UNselect the link type(s). All the thoughts that lose the link to the focus thought get removed from the plex.

Looking forward to v140... !!! That will be good.

Finally - better filtering is major undertaking - I have stated this many times at this forum and will continue to do so until I see results - you need to continue focusing (you are already, I know) on information search, filtering and retrieval inside the brain.

It is one of its current limitations. We can load thousands of thoughts but will rarely find them again in a meaningful way... 

For thoughts, this is "Hotel California"... you can checkin any time of night but you can never leave...   [smile] 

Meaning - information in, but often no knowledge out...  that is sad!

jotapa
Just downloaded v140 and tested the Link Types filtering capabilities.

It's a good start. A lot more to do but it does help.

Would prefer to see it on its own category, side by side with Types, Tags, and Time...  No reason why that shouldn't happen - links are a KEY capability of the brain and must be promoted.

zenrain
Quote:
t is one of its current limitations. We can load thousands of thoughts but will rarely find them again in a meaningful way... 

For thoughts, this is "Hotel California"... you can checkin any time of night but you can never leave...   [smile] 

Meaning - information in, but often no knowledge out...  that is sad!

This is opinion being presented as fact. I have thousands of items in my database and am able to find them. I organize my data so it's presented in a meaningful way. TheBrain 9 has introduced additional ways of finding and grouping my data (searchable labels, tag icons) which have affected my use of TheBrain positively.

If you throw stuff in anywhere without some organizational system it can be a challenge to get back out. This applies to both the physical world (for example my sock drawer) and software.
I'm all for improving and and providing new features, but can we dispense with the rhetoric?
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
danlandrum

Going to have to agree with zenrain, here. I find things in TheBrain 9, too. The visual representation of and associative thoughts often lead me to remember what I actually have put in there, but forgotten. That's something that no other software does as well in my experience. Generally this process begins with a subject that has my attention. It isn't automatic, of course, and no system can be effective if you can't remember where you generally place things, or that you placed them at all.

Having said all that, the absolute best system I've ever found for text and retrieval is Brett Terpstra's nvAlt. It would be fantastic if TheBrain worked exactly like nvAlt in regards to its notes function, but that is the advantage of a single-focus app. I could say the same thing about vertical programs in other areas, outlines, for instance. Still, TheBrain has proven to be the best tool I've found for helping my human brain retain and recall information that has my attention, but it isn't where I do my capturing and presentation and I don't know that is has to be. We're seeing features appear on a regular basis in a steady stream of updates. The developers are responsive to their user's needs and users can roll their own organizational systems quite will with the available tools.

OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
jotapa
Let's agree to disagree on this - and I will explain why.

Until TB8, the amount of effort you had to invest in the brain to classify, categorize, tag information, compared to the benefits of retrieving the right information was simply too much. That's my opinion after relying on TB for at least four years (maybe five) - in an information intensive job.

After years loading hundreds of documents, writing hundreds of notes, categorizing everything thoroughly, I was unable to retrieve information properly because key capabilities for search, filter and content access were missing.

I did experiment other tools and got better results elsewhere.

With TB9, things can change. I see a more solid foundation, more modern design, key capabilities added such as PDF index and preview but this is not enough. Information collection and classification need to be easier and quicker. Information retrieval needs to more powerful and far easier than what it is today. Overall, TB9 needs to be easier to use - not designed for geeks (like us), to appeal to a bigger audience.

That is my opinion...

But let's assume I am wrong. Let's assume TB is as great as you claim. The question should then be... why isn't TB growing much faster? Why isn't it bigger than Evernote? It is better, right?

TB has GREAT potential - I am a fan. I truly believe it can accomplish something unique in the market but is not delivering according to that potential YET. 

Our "job as TB fans" (if you want the job) is not to shout loud how good the tool is. It is to help the development team deliver a better next version, pointing out what to improve and what to leave as is. We must identify the flaws/gaps that need to be addressed and provide feedback to help the TB team decide what to do.

I am doing that... for free - I usually charge for it on my daytime job!

zenrain
Whats funny is I don't disagree with anything you just wrote. You wrote about your experience with the software.
This experience is different from mine, but I'm certainly not going to devalue that. You most likely have different ways you use the software, and your experience is just as important as mine is. [smile]
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
jotapa
But neither mine or your experience matter, zenrain... we are two data points that do not represent the universe out there in the market.

We are TB geeks/experts (you being the greatest of them all  [smile] )... Exceptions that confirm the rule: "TB needs to appeal to a broader audience".

Harlan
Appreciate the lively discussion. [smile]

We are certainly aiming to appeal to a broader audience. The more users we gain the more ability we will have to improve the product for everyone.

With the advent of version 9, I think we are on the verge of being able to do just that. At the same time, this community, representative of our core customers who have been with us for many years, are of course very important to us. That is why we are addressing as many of your concerns as possible.

Ease of use and simplicity are not simple and easy to achieve, but I am confident that we are moving faster than ever before in the right direction. The trick is to do so while at the same time creating a platform that is rich with sophisticated capabilities.
Regards,
-Harlan
Kriggel23
jotapa wrote:
But neither mine or your experience matter, zenrain... we are two data points that do not represent the universe out there in the market.

That's wrong. You, your experience, and your expectations and demands count.
To me, as much as anyone else using TB.

So, if the majority of TB users needs e.g. a function to trigger their coffee machines out of TB, I think, the creators of TB would think about a way to include this into one of the upcoming versions.
With this in mind, I find myself quite some time thinking about something, I would like to see in TB - but it's so specify, that it's relevant only to me, but presumably not to anyone else. So, I will keep this idea in my brain, but not publish it as a feature request.

I'm aware of the fact, that TheBrain must prosper in order to give me a valuable service in the future.
So, it's my self-interest when I make suggestions how TB could be improved, not just adjusted to my personal needs.

Kriggel23
sibleyd
I am sure I have tried every way in exstence to find my information and the brain works best. It works best because as its name suggests it works like my brain which works based on categories and relationships.

For example, I want a case. I then want a family law case. I then want a 2016 case. I very quickly have my case although I didn't remember the name of the client. A word search would have worked poorly or not at all with lots of false hits possibly no true hits

Now, I go to Briefs or Letter or whatever I am interested in, and they are all there in date order all with little effort in filing or retrieving

I have nearly 10000 thoughts in my active brain. It amost never takes me more than three clicks to find what I want sometimes starting with instant activation. The example is simple far more intetesting examples exist.

I think searching and filtering should exist and has its place but you ignore the true value of the product which is organizing information as your brain organizes ir in categories and relationships which is very valuable indeed.

If that has no value to you, there are lots if good indexing and database programs some free

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software