galactic_star
Hello,

I personally would like to carry TheBrain on my usb flash drive and show my brains to a friend or relative easily. 

I like to request the developers/engineers to consider making the new TheBrain more portable.

TIA!
sibleyd
First, anyone in the world can look at your brain on the internet.  The web version of the brain works surprising well. It certainly works well enough to show someone your brain.

Second, the brain works perfectly fine on many extremely portable tablets some as small as 7.9 inches and costing less than  $100 (one good source is gearbest.com). In other words, for a very modest price, you can take your brain anywhere you want. You don't even have to find a computer to plug a USB drive into. One of these tablets costs more than a USB Drive but I would say the additional cost is trivial compared to the additional utility. Just leave the tablet sitting somewhere near your desk (connected to WIFI) and it will sync with your main computer without any significant effort on your part.

galactic_star
Hi sibleyd,

Quote:
First, anyone in the world can look at your brain on the internet.  The web version of the brain works surprising well. It certainly works well enough to show someone your brain. 

I agree, unfortunately there are places and cases that the internet is not available.

Quote:
Second, the brain works perfectly fine on many extremely portable tablets some as small as 7.9 inches and costing less than  $100 (one good source is gearbest.com). In other words, for a very modest price, you can take your brain anywhere you want. You don't even have to find a computer to plug a USB drive into. One of these tablets costs more than a USB Drive but I would say the additional cost is trivial compared to the additional utility. Just leave the tablet sitting somewhere near your desk (connected to WIFI) and it will sync with your main computer without any significant effort on your part. 

that is another good way of using thebrain.

mcaton
Nothing ready to preview quite yet, but an upcoming update to the mobile devices will allow offline use - meaning no internet necessary!  This should make your Brain extremely portable in the future.

Thank you,
Matt
kiatlc
My local hardisk is quick to fill up so I plan to store my brain file in a portable hardisk. Then one problem might occur:

If my brain links to many files in different disks, which have different drive letters, then when I plugin and plugout my disk, the drive letters might change (the path whick contains the linked files will change accordingly), leaving a lot of links become invalid.

How to solve this kind of problem?
sibleyd
So, in this day and age, when hard drives almost always equal or exceed 500 GB and most commonly reach multiples of terabytes, you overflow the hard drive and put your brain on a USB Drive which is measured in megabytes or relatively few gigabytes?  Doesn't sound right to me.  Further, if you are storing attachments externally, brains consume insignificant space, relative to modern harddrives. My point is the issue you raise seems far fetched.

One of the largest benefits of the brain it seems to me is keeping files organized. It does this very well. It does this best when the files are kept internally. Some files are too large to be kept internally (and synced).  I keep these large files on OneDrive. This way the large files are available to the brains on all computers (synced to all computers). My experience is that if I put the large files on onedrive, I have no trouble with the links breaking on the various brains on the various computers. It works so well I have not looked into exactly why it works. I think OneDrive always resides on the desktop (at least the way I have it configured) and the links are made relative to the desktop (regardless of whether the user names vary between computers). Regardless, it works very well, at least the way I have my computers configured. The basic amount of space on onedrive is 1 terabyte, so it will usually be more than enough space.

I guess the reason I comment about these is I find carrying essential data around on USB Drives problematic. If the data is in the Cloud it is much safer. I lose things. I would lose my head if it wasn't connected to my body. USB drives are small and imminently easy to lose. I think the Cloud and highly portable computers is the way to go. A portable computer is more difficult to lose than a USB drive (although not impossible).  I still have a desktop, but at some point I see having just a portable computer. Now, I have several portable computers of different sizes and levels of function. The ideal would be to have just one portable computer, so I don't have to keep multiple computers maintained. Of course, at key work places (home and each of my offices), I would likely have large monitors and a large keyboard, etc. but only have one computer. Everything is backed up and synced to the Cloud so loss of the computer whether literally loss, theft, or malfunction is not a disaster.

I find the thought of having a USB drive and running around plugging it into various computers distasteful.  I would like the Brain completed and that seems like a diversion from completion of the Brain.

kiatlc
Thanks for your reply. You felt hard to understand about the hardisk space, is because you don;t know my context.

I am using notebook and the built-in SSD is not big enough. The windows itself has eaten up most of the space, plus other software's consumption, my worry is not imaginative but a real one. It happens already, not something I make up.

So, instead of questioning even if disk space filling up is possible, it is more helpful if you can focus on my question itself, which is how to make sure the link is maintained and not become invalid, if I store the linked files in portable hardisk
kiatlc
If I store the brain file itself and the linked files in the same hardisk, the link becomes invalid problem will not happen, am I right?
Spacenexus
I suffered this issue for about 10 years! I've only every used laptops with my brain as a laptop has always been an appendage for me. For most of the last decade I've kept my brain and most of the files on a local disk on the laptop and then had an external HDD with additional data as External Files linked from the brain. Since that was an encrypted drive, it was always possible to define the drive letter.

Currently i'm using the super versatile Thinkpad Yoga 12 with a 512GB m.2 SSD as c: drive and an encrypted 2TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD just dedicated to my megabrain (currently 1.6TB on the disk).

This configuration solved mulitiple issues. Now my megabrain is fully integrated onto one disk (with four separate identical backups in different locations), and the use of an SSD with highest spec Broadwell i7 processor totally eliminated the lags and hangs which had dogged my megabrain for years. One could draw a conclusion that the platter speed of HDDs wasn't quite up to the read needs of TheBrain, especially when activated heavily linked thoughts.

I think sibleyd's point is that the problem you have has a very robust solution already. If you have all the files in the same drive, then there is no more drive letter issue, correct. I have all my files always moved internally to TheBrain and don't have external file directories to worry about on my local drive. (But don't get me started on the issue of shared drives... oh, already started on another post).

Jim
@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
mcaton
First, as previously mentioned, if you move your files internally into your Brain - then obviously you don't need to worry about path location.

True, if you're just keeping LINKS to attachments that are located in other drives, and the drive letter changes - you'll have an invalid link.  This is even true if the link is pointing to something on the same drive as TheBrain uses absolute paths, not relative.  TheBrain 8 had a feature in File > Utilities called "Replace Attachment Location".  This would be the key to your success in this scenario and I'll verify that it's documented as still missing from v9.

Thank you,
Matt
kiatlc
TheBrain uses absolute path...

Under what condition the links will become invalid even in same drive?
galactic_star
@kiatlc 

Quote:
TheBrain uses absolute path...

Under what condition the links will become invalid even in same drive?

Hi kiatlc,

i think it doesnt matter if its absolute or relative, as long as you change something in the path, the link will become invalid. 

i agree with everyone, the best way is to let thebrain handle the files. 

one way to handle this is to create a brain for every external storage, i've seen pictures the new thebrain 9 can better handle multiple brains

@Spacenexus

Hi spacenexus,

you're brain is very big! how do you backup that megabrain in 4 different location? do you use the cloud?
galactic_star
sorry double post

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software