mtrifiro
It would be really nice to be able to right click and select a command on a thought without activating The Brain (on Mac). For example, this would be a great enhancement to Copy Image in browser window, right click on thought and choose "Paste Icon" in an inactive The Brain window without activating it so that I save a click and don't have to reactivate my browser window.
mcaton
Do you mean a sort of "Send to TheBrain" feature?  We have the start of this with our new BrainBox if you want to take a look. More info available at http://www.thebrain.com/brainbox . More options for sending items to BrainBox are planned for future development.

Thanks,
Matt
DavidGretzschel

@mtrifiro
I tried to flesh out your idea a little bit below.
I don't have a Mac, but I think the basics of right-click and active-Window are similar enough.
Let me know, if I got anything wrong.

FWIW, I think the idea is very interesting. But I've never seen something like that at least on the Windows-side.
The only thing that kinda works like that (not activating a window you do stuff to) is drag&drop.
Is there any Mac-software that has a similar feature?

I do understand the need to want to elimante any unnecessary action.
I recommend to go to Preferences>Keybindings and setting up "Thought Icon>Paste Icon".
If you're using Firefox or something Chrome-based, there are extensions that'll allow you to copy anything you see directly to the clipboard.
Something like Vimium.
Whatever you're trying to do, there's no good reason, that you'd need to bother with the mouse, if you know what you're doing.
And once both hands never leave the keyboard, you'll be doing things faster than you can imagine.

@mcaton
Pretty sure, he's talking about active and inactive Windows. The active Window being the only one that excepts keyboard-input.
And there being only one active Window at a time. (pretty sure that's true for Mac and Windows)
And doing stuff in a TheBrain-window without activating it (because since you'd immediately want to go back to your browser, that's an inconvenience).

On Windows 10, something like that is already possible to a limited degree with drag&drop.
In Windows 10 you can drag and drop the icon from the url-bar in the web browser straight into TheBrain
This will make the URL the child Thought of the active Thought, without activating TheBrain-window.
So you can immediately hit ctrl+t or alt+d to continue surfing the web, without needing to worry about alt+tabbing first or clicking the browser-window.

He'd want to extend that kind of functionality a little bit. Instead of dragging and dropping, he'd just have an image or an url in the clipboard.
Then he'd want to be able to right-click on a Brain-Window and have a paste-menu appear:

that paste-menu offers him when right-clicking empty space on the Plex:
"Paste as an Icon for currently active Thought",
"Paste as Plex Wallpaper",
"Paste as Child Thought of active Thought",
"Paste as Attachment to active Thought"

that paste-menu would offer him when right-clicking a specificThought:
"Paste as an Icon for THIS Thought",
"Paste as Child Thought of THIS Thought",
"Paste as Attachment to THIS Thought"

And this should be doable without TheBrain ever becoming the active window.
This wouldn't be confusing, since if people want to activate a window, they'd always left+click it normally,
not right+click it.

This having to switch back to the Browser doesn't seem like a big deal, but if you have a large batch-job,
each step you have to do, adds a lot more strain, requires more focus and will eventually lead to you making frustrating mistakes.

An example:
Imagine you have a Plex which shows you all 150 Pokemon as names, each Pokemon has an individual Thought.
But the Thought is only text and that just isn't good enough. So you want each of the 150 Thoughts to have an individual icon.
Icons for each are easy to come by, you just have to google them.
If you add 150 alt+tabs to the mix, that'll make the process a lot harder, less fun and error-prone.
If you also have multiple Browser windows open, you might also have to make sure you're tabbing back to the correct window.

This is an extreme example, but a lot of jobs are like this sometimes.
Icons are nice, but there's a lot of Thoughts in your Brain, so each step of friction that can be avoided,
will make actually prettifying your Brain with icons a lot more usable.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

mtrifiro
This:
>>> Pretty sure, he's talking about active and inactive Windows. The active Window being the only one that excepts keyboard-input.
And there being only one active Window at a time. (pretty sure that's true for Mac and Windows)
And doing stuff in a TheBrain-window without activating it (because since you'd immediately want to go back to your browser, that's an inconvenience).
<<<

This is absolutely correct. The Mac finder (and most other Mac apps) allow you to do things like right-click on something without the app being the frontmost (active) app. This allows you to avoid the pre-click to raise the window / activate the app. You just right click the thing you see and it does the right thing (passes the right click on to the app as if it were the frontmost). I don't use windows anymore, so I have no idea if there is an equivalent.

I just did it right now. I have two windows side-by-side. My Chrome browser with this forum window open and my The Brain next to it. With The Brain active, I can still right click any item in the Chrome browser window and get a context menu. If I try to do this in the Plex, it doesn't work—I have to first click to activate the app.

Interesting to note: The behavior works correctly in Notes fields, just not on the Plex.
DavidGretzschel
@mtrifiro
no extra mouseclick to activate the TB window on Windows. A right/left-click will immediately do the contextually correct thing.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

mtrifiro
The Brain Team: Please fix this (seems like a Mac only issue). I counted 65 extra mouse clicks for me yesterday.
mcaton
I see what you mean.  Replicated with right clicking on the plex of a Brain behind a window... Documented for further review.

Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software