reasonablekamikaze
Firstly, I love the convenience of this feature—and it's consistent with how it works in similar programs.

However where the consistency ends is, if you type '---' and the horizontal bar is automatically created, if you press the backbar/delete, the line is removed, and the '---' remains. In TB, this isn't the case. It deletes the bar and leaves an empty space.

There's situations where I need to use ------ (etc), but there's no way you can do it in the current notes editor. You're forced into using the horizontal line

Please consider this as a future improvement!

Thanksss
DavidGretzschel
+1
another example:
I do like the conenience of -SPACE and +SPACE for todo-items, but I'm uncomfortable with there being no way of writing certain Strings.
Markdown is great, but there should be a reasonably convenient way to not have it trigger.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

metta
+1
eeik
+1 ... rolling your own UX on table stakes like word processing despite years of industry consistency across other apps is akin to rolling your own cryptography in the infosec space ... jarring, confusing, frustrating, and rarely makes users happy.
nick
+1 from myself as well.

I will pass this over to Engineering and update the thread.
Thanks
-Nick
Harlan
Because markdown is just text, there is no hidden information. This means that three hyphens at the start of a line always means horizontal rule and there is no way for it not to mean that without adding additional text. This is how all markdown editors work.

To add three hyphens and avoid having it render as a horizontal rule, you must "escape" the hyphens what you see. To add a literal `---`, you must escape the hyphens by preceding them with a backslash.

Like this:

\-\-\-

Presently, escape characters are not properly recognized and so will show as typed even when in "preview" mode. In a future release, the backslashes will disappear when in preview/output mode.
Regards,
-Harlan
DavidGretzschel

I couldn't just escape the first -, like this: \---?

In any case, that's good to hear, that there will always be a way.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

--
---
---

mcaton
I used to use dashes, but now my personal workaround for this is:

\\\\\

Adds a nice little break without the horizontal rule whenever needed...

Matt
metta
The issue I'm having with the default behavior in the editor is that I often use a double dash as a long hyphen between 2 phrases in a sentence.

However, in the current Markdown editor, these 2 dashes completely disappear, and I've had to end up using the 2 dashes with a space between in order to get  them to display: - -

In light of this, I am still wondering about the feasibility of @reasonablekamikaze's initial request:
If you press the backbar/delete, the line is removed, and the '---' remains. In TB, this isn't the case. It deletes the bar and leaves an empty space.

Is there a reason this standard editor behavior can't be implemented in TB's Markdown editor?

This was the behavior I initially expected (since it standard in a wide variety of other editors), and it would completely solve the problem with both double and triple dashes.

This fix would be, for me, strongly preferred since I couldn't get Harlan's workaround to work -- and Matt's workaround won't solve the problem with using double dashes as long hyphens.
DavidGretzschel
@metta
Was struggling to understand what you mean at first, since I could type all this below without a problem.
--apple
Birne--Kaffee
--Ravioli--Kapuze--Sanduhr--Ragout fin--Nice--
--these--are-good--things
The longest sentence.--In a world?---How do I do this?
This seems--a different issue--?I--dunno--------
--Just at the beginning of a line, anywa--y.

Then I focussed the Plex and saw all the dahses disappear. Barely a problem, since if I see it, I probably would want to edit it, anyway,
but yeah..... that's ugly.

--
---
---

metta
@DavidGretzschel ~

Thanks for your feedback, David.

My double dash examples:
  • This sentence is an example of how use the double dashes in TheBrain -- and, in the forum, the double dashes work beautifully.
  • You'll see my double dashes are framed by spaces -- and they disappear completely in TheBrain, which makes these sentences look terribly run-on.
Interesting to know the double dashes disappear without the spaces, too.
reasonablekamikaze

This functionality (as depicted in the initial post) is available in other editors, so it's technical feasible. 

Please consider this for a future release. Not having easy access to these dashes is troublesome 🙁 Not liking the 'hack' to add additional characters in-between, especially as they're visible in the editor. Clunky.

metta
For those who are interested, I just now stumbled on a hack using the disappearing double dashes that functions as a (temporary) workaround for one of the line spacing bugs in the web client.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software