zenrain
Since you can select multiple tags at the same time it would be nice if the right-click thought tag dropdown menu persisted after selecting a tag. Clicking on the background or elsewhere should dismiss it.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
mcaton
Great catch.  It took me a minute to figure this out, but yes, leaving the menu open would be helpful.  Documented.

Thanks,
Matt
Harlan
Unfortunately this is not possible since that list of tags is a native menu and native menus do not enable this sort of behavior. To do this we would have to replace the submenu that shows tags with a "tags" command that would then open the tags popup like the in the Thought Properties Dialog.
Regards,
-Harlan
zenrain
Ah, gotcha. Ok, thanks Harlan!
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Underdog
In V9 I really miss the (dockable) Tags and Thoughts tools panels. Not having these in TheBrain 9 is nearly a show-stopper for me, which is a shame because many of its other features I miss in V8. Is/was there no interest in keeping this amongst users?

- Michael
TheBrain 10.0.17.0 beta / 9.1.x / 8.0.2.1 / (PB) 6 || Win7

mcaton
Michael,

Thank you for the honest feedback.  I believe most comments have been supportive of the new drop down menus for Types and Tags.  Being a long time user of TheBrain myself, it took some "getting used to" at first, but I quickly adopted a new process for accessing a desired Type or Tag.  I usually kept these tabs closed in v8 - so it didn't change my number of clicks to get to an Urgent Tag for example - it just changed the location and now takes less screen real estate.

Did you keep the Tag and Type Tabs open in v8 for easy access to a specific Tag/Type?

Thanks,
Matt
Harlan
It's also worth noting that in TB9, there is improved support for accessing tags and types via the keyboard (Ctrl+E, Ctrl+G, then type and/or use arrow keys) both for activation and for setting types and tags from the create thought and thought properties dialogs.
Regards,
-Harlan
Underdog
Thanks Matt, Harlan.

On some Brains where the Thoughts often fell into multiple "categories" (i.e., tags), I did in fact keep the Tags area open and accessible. My workflow was as follows:
  1. Create a new Thought usually a webpage or from a (non-Outlook) email attachment
  2. Select one or (mostly) more Tags to categorize the newly added thought immediately
  3. Repeat the above steps until enough information has been gathered.

Step 2 is vital. I could also easily click on any Tag itself to see what other Thoughts this "category" (Tag) and in this way make sure my classification is consistent. If not, I could click on any other Tag in the Tags area or even create a new one and reorder the newly added Thought or Thoughts accordingly without losing sight of the Tags: there they were always at hand whenever I wanted them. Of course, on other Brains, I could collapse or hide the Tag area as needed.

I really miss this kind of flexibility, but I'll try out your suggestions and report back on advantages/disadvantages of the new B9 layout.

- Michael
TheBrain 10.0.17.0 beta / 9.1.x / 8.0.2.1 / (PB) 6 || Win7

mcaton
Michael,

Thanks for sharing and happy to hear if you are able to get comfortable with the new layout.

Thanks,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software