DavidGretzschel

addendum to title:
and apparently questioning the very existence of the "Selection"-concept.
As if I had any idea, what I'll end up writing, after I finished 🙂StrangeSelections.png
I don't really see myself using the command "link Selection as Children/Parent/Jumps of activated Thought" much. For one I think those commands should even be grayed out, if there's only one selected Thought, which is also the active one, but I'm not familiar enough with the logic of TheBrain to know whether a Thought can be it's own Parent/Child or Jump.

But what I actually would like to do a lot more often during gardening is to make a selection and for that selection set all of them up with a new Parent/Child/Jump (meaning the Thought-naming box appears and I type in a new thought or select a new one thru the box's search function).
I'm also wondering why selection is even different from highlighting.
There are loads of commands available to execute on a highlighted Thought and must of them could also logically apply to multiples.
Some things that would work in that vein would be:
Deletion, adding Parent/Child/Jump-Thoughts, removing atachments (this one perhaps not), unlinking

What couldn't work would be renaming and probably some other functions, but that wouldn't be surprising or unexpected to the user.
The whole Selection-functionality feels like an artificial extra-mode that follows it's own rules, instead of it being a natural extension of "highlighting".
In my head, when I highlight a Thought, that Thought is the object of my concern.
The object that I have selected for view or for executing commands on.
That there exists another thing called "Selection" which is this strange area on the side, that has completely different commands associated with it, is a bit of a mindf*ck.
In WIndows explorer, selecting multiple things follows the same rules as selecting one thing, except that certain actions aren't possible.
In Windows-explorer one can only files/subfolders of the same folder in the selection, but I don't see that as a fundamental difference that should cause problems.
Maybe I haven't considered this problem deeply enough, but the way "Selection" is done at the moment feels strange, cumbersome and unnatural to me.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

DavidGretzschel

And I mean it.... I'm not saying the way "Selection" works is wrong. Just that it appears to me that way.
I'd be curious to hear why it works that way, instead of doing it the way Windows Explorer does, which to me is just
very much the way things are done and are supposed to be done and everything else is meschugge.
My leading theory ist that this is some Windows 98-UI-pattern.
I don't remember much of that OS, but maybe this is due to old resource limitations and different user expectations from way back when?

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

--
---
---

metta
You wrote: "I don't really see myself using the command 'link Selection as Children/Parent/Jumps of activated Thought' much."

FWIW, I use this function all the time. Since I create lots of nested layers in my brain, I frequently need to link thoughts as children -- and since I heavily link related (or potentially related) thoughts as jump connections, this selection feature is quite useful to me.

The selection pane is also helpful when I want to gather (collect) multiple thoughts and "hold" them temporarily while navigating through my brain.

In addition, it is possible to limit the search to items in the selection box -- and some people have also mentioned used the selection feature as tool for "holding" thoughts while they are managing their daily tasks. (If you scroll down, this reference also includes a link to TheBrain team's video on the selection box, if you have not already seen it.)

I suspect other brain users may be able to explain other useful/creative ways they use the selection box feature.

You wrote: "what I actually would like to do a lot more often during gardening is to make a selection and for that selection set all of them up with a new Parent/Child/Jump (meaning the Thought-naming box appears and I type in a new thought or select a new one thru the box's search function)."

Although there is not (currently) an option associated with the selection box that allows us to create new thought, it might be easily added, I suppose. In the meantime, right now it is very easy to select your thoughts, navigate to the place where you want to create the new parent/child/jump you mentioned, and then drop the selected thoughts into place.

Don't know if this addresses any of your concerns/questions -- or not....Just a few initial bits of feedback....for whatever they might be worth....
DavidGretzschel

I don't mind the selection-box nor the specific options it offers.

Just adding more highlighting circles as the only marker for a selected Thought wouldn't work well if one "leaves the area".
It should be possible to use those commands as well on a highlighted Thought, without having to add it to the selection box.

/rant about the lack of overloading, apparently

I just don't understand why I have to remember a completely different command-set as well as remember which commands work in one context, but not on another.
For example, why should I have to learn six different deletion-commands? I want to only use one deletion command and that should use the key "delete".
Like in every program ever. What you delete and how many elements you delete should be implicit from the selection context.
And there should only ever be one thing that your selection context. That there's an active Thought and a Highlighted Thought might be unavoidable,
but the rest of all the context and focus-splliting just seems unnecessary, slow and extremely confusing.
I am in the search box, type my query, go down with the cursor/focus-marker to the third result, click "ctrl+delete" and all of a sudden I deleted the highlighted-Thought? That's absurd!

If TB would be a normal program, then this:
If you've started a search by typing or you're editing a note, then pressing delete will delete the character to the right of the cursor. If a Thought is highlighted, then delete will delete that. If you've got multiple Thoughts selected, then delete will delete those.
If you've got a Report open and you have made some selection on the Report results, then delete would delete those.
You can tab into the results, use the arrow key to navigate within, use shift and ctrl and ctrl+a to select things.
Like I'm used to doing for longer than a decade. Like everyone is used to doing at this point, really.
If I'm selecting an icon, delete should delete the icon. If I'm focussing on an attachment or an event, then delete should delete that.
It's the delete key on the keyboard. I'm in the habit of using it to delete things. And when I want to delete things, I'm used to using that,
rather than doing finger gymnastics for each different possible version of deletion.absurdDeletion.png 
This is absurd to me.
And that's just deletion.
Renaming is F2 in Windows and always has been (since Windows Vista and I barely remember anything before).

But in TB, when you wish to rename a Thought, you have to press alt-enter.
If you want to rename an attachment, you'll have to press a specific command. If I want to rename your brain, you have to click a hamburger.
You I want to rename or even name a link, you better get your hand-eye coordination straight, cause it's analog target practice-time!
Hope you played those FPS-shooters, when you grew up! Time to get those headshot-skills back up to snuff!

TB11 has more than two hundred commands and at first I was delighted about all the things I could do with it and all the functionality I could discover,
but it's all fake.
It's fake complexity that masks incredibly inefficient design.

/ok, sorry. Didn't mean to rant, when I responded. That just happened. Didn't really understand this general problem, before I wrote this.
/ but that's probably one of the worst thing about TheBrain, that I couldn't point my finger to before.

--
---
---

metta
@DavidGretzschel ~

Glad you were able to get to the "meat of the nut" regarding the underlying (keyboard shortcut) issues.... Hopefully someone from TB team will be able to speak to your concerns....
DavidGretzschel
Well, I hope they rethink the way they're doing things. I'll manage.
Having two StreamDecks, two programmable keyboards and a programmable mouse and two footpedals and Autohotkey can make even the strangest programs accesible and efficient to use.
At least there are commands for most important things. That's more than can be said for many programs.

--
---
---

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software