rajeshh
Hello,
I just read a WSJ article about Personal Brain, so thought I would download it and try it. I must say there are a couple of annoying things. Here is my summary:

a)When I created new jump, it didn't select the new thought by default. I had to remember to keep finding the jump I just added. This became painful after I had added about 10 of these, and had to search it amongst those.
b)After I had created a brain, I never saved it. At the end of the day, I put the laptop on standby, and next day when I started working on my computer again, I saw the PersonalBrain window was unresponsive and basically I closed it, and found there was nothing saved. ( I use Evernote to capture notes, and am used to the fact that you never have to save anything. At least I havent lost anything on Evernote yet)

I did eventually figure out how to drag email items to create a new thought etc, but the fact i lost the above hasnt made me go back to using this again.

zenrain
Wierd, I just tested creating a new jump (ver 4.2.1.2) and when I created a jump thought, either by dragging or F8 it automatically selected the thought.

PersonalBrain saves new thoughts when they are created, and notes are saved when you switch from one thought to another (and prior to shutting down). The only thing I can think of is that it didn't save the brain location. I would try choosing File > Open Brain and browse to see if you can find the first brain you created and worked on.

Good luck!
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
rajeshh
I am using the latest stable version available for download.

I tried looking for the brain file, and didnt readily find it..i may try to look deeper.

It has since frozen up on me again...
Darkstar
The new PB will occassionally lock up on on laptops. It usually happens when you "resume" from standby, or when you swap applications and they are using different video modes.

The way to close the frozen brain without scrambling the brain or leaving it open is to close the listed JAVA icon of Personal Brain, not the actual Personal Brain. Then you can just restart Personal Brain and reopen your last brain file no problem.

The current brain always saves out its stuff when you create a new thought or you move thoughts, so the first brain you created is definately out there. The question is where is it. Did you change where you had the PB store its brains?
-Darkstar
mbaas
rajeshh,

a) is a new feature currently in beta 4.2, so that's why it works for zenrain and not for you.

b) since you say you never saved the brain-file, I don't think Brain would have "auto-saved" in anonymously. I guess this could be the only situation where your data is really lost. But on the other hand, it needs to have *some* location to store your data in, so maybe it used some default-mechanism. Try to search for "*.brn"-files on your machine and open that with File/Open Brain.

That freezing is strange. I would recommend to contact support@thebrain.com about this...

Good luck - don't give it up, PB is  a great tool!

Michael 

zenrain
Thanks mbaas, I have a hard time remembering what's new anymore..
Maybe I should keep a brain entry.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software