iceheartx
I have a file system with the following characteristics :

15230 files
with just over 3200 direstories

would the brain be a tool that I could reasonably hope to use as a file manager for the above mess?

And if so, does anyone have any tips or tricks on how I might manage importing them all? I'm assuming simply dragging the whole lot right into the brain isn't going to work well, but i may be wrong

----------------------
since I started relying on the brain, I am almost incomprehensible without it.
igoldsmid
i have tried for months with Version 4 and Version 5 - to import large directory structures and large numbers of files into PB. PB always chokes at some point in the process and fails - leaving some files imported, and many not - so I've then had to filter the imported ones and delete them - as a partial import is useless.

I've reported this problem on two or three occasions in this forum - and had the problem acknowledged by the brain team - but it has not been fixed.

IJG
iceheartx
that's really a shame. I really want a file manager that I can use to attach chunks of metadata to.

I've found that some programs out there for windows allow you to "tag" files and then you can use taht app to search files by tag. As yet I haven't seen one that allows you to tag folders, and that's what I really want.

I was hoping that tagging in the brain might be answer.

----------------------
mbaas
It might depend on the way you structure this. Your numbers suggest a 5 files/folder-ratio on average. Is that roughly true, or are there 2 folders with 1.000 files  and 1.000 empty folders?
If it's more like the 1st scenario, I think it's worth trying...

iceheartx
Ok, so this is for my comic collection. The number of dirs is inflated slightly. that said, I'd be willing to bet that I've got at least 1500 folders in that main directory.

I've been using directories as the medium for my metadata. for instance:

I have a folder named
Batman

in that folder there's
.character batman
.continuity DC Main
.publisher DC
.group justice league
plus of course a number of actual issues of the comic.

so, once I get them into the brain the idea would be to take everything that's a .directory and cause it to be a tag instead.

so while the numbers are high for the import they'd get smaller once the data was actually in the brain.

----------------------
mbaas
Interesting...

Now,that ".character batman", is that a folder or a file?
And  is that data linked/used by another app, or would this be one-time import only to bring the data into PersonalBrain and then edit there?
The "actual issue", I assume, is PDF?

iceheartx
currently they're straight up empty folders, which is taking the place of a big hierarchial structure that I had before. I've removed all deeply nested directory structures and brought all the series up into the root directory, putting these .files in their place (it used to be divided into subdirectories based on all metadata, shortening my seek times when sorting. Now I could just do a search for ".character superman" on the file system and see the books he shows up in.)

the data isn't currently in use by any other apps, it's essentially in a seed state awaiting me to do something with it. if the brain won't work with this size of datastore for some reason I'll just have to write myself a metadata aware browser w/ mysql&php or something - it just seems like a little bit of a waste to design my entire own library browser if there are off the shelf apps that'll do it.

and yeah, the books themselves are in cbr/cbz format (better compression than pdf) but in essence it's about the same.

(I've looked at both adobe bridge and acdsee as alternatives but neither is perfect)

----------------------
zenrain
You could always have a flat folder and put all your files in there and link them in PB to the appropriate thoughts.

This would require a bit of discipline when adding them in to always add a link to a thought. However it may provide better performance than adding them as internal attachments.

I would wait and see how tagging pans out. Currently you cannot narrow down returns by a group of tags, so I don't think it's robust enough for what you are trying to do right now. You could compensate by using Parent thoughts, but depending on how deep you interlink it may be more work than it's worth maintaining.

I'm not aware of software that can do this on windows. I'm sure there is some out there, but I only use Windows for work, and most of my tagging needs are for home.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
iceheartx
that makes it sound like you know of an alternative OS that would let me do what I want? I'm not above changing my OS if it gets me something that I've been waiting for for a very long time.

The closest I've ever come was beos, which would let you attach arbitrary attributes to files and folders. and then you could very rapidly sort them, because you were essentially using the os to do all the hard work. Unfortunately that was long ago and never really caught on.

Spotlight on the mac is supposed to do it, but using spotlight on my wife's mac has been intensely slow just to sort through her (considerably smaller) image collection. I am not a mac expert, if this is something that just requires tuning and/or practice then cool - there's a brain for mac, right?

----------------------
zenrain
I use OSX for this at home. There's quite a few programs out there which have robust tagging capabilities. I use Leap which is excellent for applying tags to files, and returning queries based on the tags used, as well as file types, locations etc.
Together is also a good option for tagging, although it's more of a Personal Information Manager, and it's a bit of a pain to upkeep both PB and Together.

PB Pro allows you to use the program both on a Mac and Windows machine with one license, so at home I use PB in conjunction with Leap. It works very well for me since Leap can ignore the directory structure PB uses and just returns the files.

There may be some equally good options for Windows also, but I haven't really done much research on it past PB, Evernote and OneNote.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
iceheartx
looks like I'll try out leap when I get home on my wife's machine. luckily I am not bereft of macs.

I do have one question - can you tag folders or only files?

----------------------
zenrain
I believe it's only files. You can however save queries for tags within specific folders.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
iceheartx
yeah, that's pretty much where I'm stuck on windows. I've seen windows software similar to leap but they're all pretty slow and none of them attach metadata to folders, which is one of the features that I particularily need.
----------------------
Darkstar

Sounds like you are left with having to add a ".directory.tag" file to each directory then, and using it to hold all your desired tags for an individual directory.

-Darkstar
Tracy
Hi everyone,
Since we are talking about using PersonalBrain to manage large number of files, I wanted to mention an upcoming webinar of Feb 19th which will be focused on using PersonalBrain as a file manager.. This session might help generate some ideas for you... To learn more and sign up, visit:

https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/887392070
Tracy Barr
TheBrain Technologies

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software