mctrexler
I backed up my large Brain today (simple copy from one drive to another), and got a message that one of the folder had a name too long to be copied to the external drive I was copying to.  It was one PB thought folder out of thousands so I'm a bit perplexed.  Has someone come across this issue before? 

Thanks,

Mark

Moe
Mark,

Thanks for posting. Sounds like a typical Windows related error which occurs when copying folders sometimes. 

Can you try the following:

1. Re-attempt the copy, when you receive the error, make a note of the folder name (write it down in notepad). 

2. Cancel the error. For anything that was copied, delete it from the target location you were copying to before you received the error. 

3. Go back to the source. Find the folder then rename it to something shorter. 

4. Re-attempt the copy. Once everything has been copied to your target location, go to the folder you renamed then rename it to the original name.

See if that helps.

Thanks,
Moe
FransJehoul
Good morning,

I had also some problems with this because the path + thoughtname was too long. I relocated the brain (changed the path) from c:\users\"user name"\my brains to  c:\brain and the problem was solved.

Regards,

Frans
Natanvay
You can try Long Path Tool. It deletes/unlocks, copies/renames path too long files/folders.

Long Path Tool can simplify and probably end your problems in unlocking, managing and renaming files that appear to have a long filename.

Since in some instances, you may have experienced problems accessing, managing and even renaming files that have more than 255 characters, this utility has been made to answer this particular scenario. If you have also encountered problems like error messages that tell you that the path too long, too long path, destination path too long or cannot delete file then this program is definitely for you.

This will totally take place of Windows Explorer, Far Manager or other file managing utilities since this is maybe used in any type of Operating System even the earliest Windows 95 version.

You can get it from Long Path Tool
mctrexler
I've also found the "path too long" error to be random.  If I ignore it and copy the brain again, it is just as likely to complete without the same error showing up.   I've actually never had it be a recurring problem that I had to go to extra lengths for. 
gabrielko
I've seen another Long Path Tool from pathtoodeep(dot)com [not sure if it's ok to post links yet]. It's helped a lot of people already. Has any1 tried it out?

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software