zenrain
If I start on a thought in Normal view, and apply a filter (tested with tags), all thoughts without filters go away. This is expected behavior, although it does make using the plex a bit difficult if the parent thought doesn't meet the filter. See these musings if interested.

Starting in Outline view and applying a filter however (starting on the thought which meets the filter value) shows the thought and crosses out all parent thoughts and child thoughts without the tag, but they are still visible in the plex. Also, if you do something else and leave PB alone for a minute or two, the crossed out thoughts disappear. Clicking back in the plex causes them to reappear. Changing to Normal view still shows the crossed out thoughts.
Expanded view behaves similarly to Outline view. However, when left alone for a minute or two, the crossed out thoughts fade, but don't disappear.

Also, while I'm musing on this, I'd like to add a request for the filter. My request is that the standard behavior be if two thoughts which meet the filter requirement are joined by a thought not meeting the filter requirements, the thought not meeting the requirements still display as crossed out. This will make browsing in a filtered plex a bit easier. If not standard behavior, having this as a preference setting may be nice also.

Edit: And a pony.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Moe
Zen, Thanks for the feedback and the feature suggestion.

Quote:

Posted by Zenrain
Also, if you do something else and leave PB alone for a minute or two, the crossed out thoughts disappear. Clicking back in the plex causes them to reappear. Changing to Normal view still shows the crossed out thoughts. Expanded view behaves similarly to Outline view. However, when left alone for a minute or two, the crossed out thoughts fade, but don't disappear.

This should not be the case. I have noted this for the engineers to look into.

Best regards,
Moe

mbaas
zenrain, I agree. Have your pony. Ah, hmm, eh, no, I mean: navigation & filtering can be challenging. But I don' think this feature request would really solve it. What about the parent of the connecting thought then? Maybe you have a thought-structure where the grandparent would also be required to get "feasible click-paths"?
Incidentally, I had a similar challenge yesterday in a client-project, where we looked at companies in a certain market-segment and wanted to distinguish clients, prospects, non-clients belonging to a group where we have clients and non-clients. Navigating became tough when I filtered on "non-clients belonging to a group...". It got much easier when I had the idea to change the report and selected all categories but "non-clients belonging..." and switched to "inverse  filtering".
I'd dare to say this even has the potential to become a tip!

And my personal feature-request here would be to change custom reports so that it is possible to select multiple tags, so that this tip could also be applied when using tags, not categories.

And your pony

mbaas
5.5.0.7 already has that feature-request implemented
Did you also get your pony now, zenrain?

zenrain
Thanks mbaas. Did you include untyped thoughts in your custom report before inverse filtering?
I just tried that, with only untyped and the type I wanted to see unchecked, and it does seem to work much better.

No pony yet, but if I put my ear up to PB, I think I can hear a faint neighing. 
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software