JohnDempsey Show full post »
danlandrum
For the record, I was just trying to explain, as succinctly as possible, how it works.  As to how it seems like it should, and I wish it would, work - I'm with you guys. 

If, as John suggested:

Quote:
normal filtering crosses out the excluded thoughts and inverse filtering does the opposite.

there would probably be less confusion. I don't think it would eliminate confusion altogether though. The end user is seeing a filtered filter on the plex. It is harder to understand things that are defined by what is missing, rather what is present.

I'd love to hear from Harlan why they choose to present it this way. Maybe there's an overriding reason that none of us are getting, or perhaps this is a step along the way to some further development.  We are, after all, using a beta. 
OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
JohnDempsey
Danlandrum

Please don't think I was criticising you, I am very grateful for your time in explaining it to me.

Just to add to my previous suggestion regarding the plex display.

The current functioning of the report window is such that when a report filter is set, the report window shows only the qualifying thoughts and clicking on any of these makes it the new focused thought in the plex.

With the suggested change to the way the plex reacts, the new focused thought would be shown with it's immediate parent/jump/child thoughts suitably crossed out where relevant depending on the status of the filter button.

This would enable a quick overview of each of the reports results, showing where it fits into the bigger picture.

John
John Dempsey
danlandrum
I didn't see it as a criticism, but thanks for worry about being civil .  It would be nice if there was more of that in e-communication. 

OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software