Recon777
Am I doing something wrong? When I do a CTRL-F and try to find something, it just tells me "Finished searching the document. The search item was not found."

Really? Cause that's blatantly false. If I'm trying to search for something (or replace it) in my Brain, it says it cannot find what I'm searching for. It's like the whole feature is broken. And it's such a basic feature that pretty much every productivity program in existence has.

To give an example of what I'm using this for, I'm using the Brain to organize a story I'm writing. And I've recently decided to change the name of one of my characters. So I figured I'd go into the Brain and replace all the instances of that character's name with the new name. Nope. Not allowed. Very frustrating. So either somehow such an obvious feature was missed or I'm just doing something wrong. Hopefully it's the latter and you guys can tell me how to successfully search (and replace).
zenrain
Find and replace is limited to a single note, unfortunately it's not Brain-wide.
The only way I'm aware of to do this is using an external text editor to find and replace. If you want to try this:

Choose File > Export > Brain XML
Open the XML file in an external text editor (Notepad++ works well for Windows, TextWrangler for OS X - both are free) and run a find and replace.

Now you have two choices:
  • Create a new brain and import it.
  • In your current database, delete or forget all your thoughts and re-import them.
If you choose to create a new brain database (easiest), just choose File > New Brain. 
Then, choose File > Import > Brain XML.

If you prefer to keep your existing database, I'd recommend making Brainzip first (under the File menu).
Then go to the reports tab, click the refresh button. Choose Edit > Add Report Results to Selection, right-click the selection with all thoughts selected and choose Forget Selection.
Then choose File > Import > Brain XML.

Update: I'd also recommend adding your vote to this request in Uservoice. [smile]
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Recon777
Wow, that's unbelievable. That solution is incredibly convoluted for such a simple operation. Imagine if a word processor required you to do this every time you wanted to change the name of something.

I don't understand how such an obvious feature could have been left out of the software.

Also, that voting area... seems to be unused by the devs. I don't think they take requests from there.

To be clear on what this feature should do:

If you press CTRL-F, a find and replace window should come up where you can type in a string to find (and replace). There should be THREE checkboxes in there. One for "Thought Titles" and one for "Thought Notes", and one for "Preview Replacements". Depending on which ones you check, the program should include these in its search and replace operation. And before doing the replace, it should give you a count to let you know how many there are.

zenrain
I agree, it's a common request and I've wanted the functionality myself quite a few times.

TheBrain is a bit different from a Word Processor. Each thought is a record in a database, sort of like it's own document. So currently TheBrain behaves like a word processor, you can't do a find and replace on multiple documents (or in the Brain's case, thoughts) at the same time, only the document you have open.

Doing a find and replace across everything in a database is a bit more complex as you have to make sure you don't break references in the rename, as well as specify which parts you want renamed, and finally, make it clear in an interface that there's difference.
Can you imagine the problems that would arise if I renamed "Alice" to "John" and thought it was only in my notes, but it went through the entire database and made the change? I might not know, and come across it months later and realize I've just mucked up my data. 
Making it extremely visible and understandable to the person using the software is just as, or perhaps more important than the rename function itself.

I'm not trying to make excuses or say your request isn't valid or important (it is, and I'd really like it too), I'm just providing a bit of context around the request and an outside perspective of why it may not have been implemented yet. 
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Recon777
Unfortunately, the technique you suggested with exporting to XML, renaming, and then reimporting does not work for me because it wipes out all my saved Expanded Views. These views are absolutely critical for my project. I'm pretty disappointed in this.

Even if there were a way to FIND instances of a string in the brain, I could at least hunt them down and replace them manually. But with several hundred thoughts, this is crazy difficult.
zenrain
Ugh, sorry. [frown]
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software