rogerwalk

I am currently learning and using the Ver9 brain after importing the database from the Ver8 brain.  You have asked me to provide feedback on the new functionality of the beta9 version. I have encountered four issues with ver9.0.137 so far:

1. The >Capture Thought Icon tool for thoughts that worked great on all images in all open applications has apparently been renamed to >Capture Image. When activated, it opens the same semitransparent crosslines that can be dragged over the image area, but it does NOT capture images in open applications any more. It now “looks through” the application window and captures the desktop underneath instead. I hope this is a “bug” since otherwise this is a significant loss of functionality from the Ver8.
  2. The attachment of external files to thoughts has apparently changed in the new Ver9. In Ver8 I could grab any file on my computer with the right handle and drag it onto a thought where it would attach as a shortcut to the thought when I would choose that option. Now I apparently have no choice anymore and the drag-and-dropped file would always attach as an internal file leaving no copy behind at the source directory. As a workaround now I must create a shortcut at the source and can then drag-and-drop the shortcut to the thought. Much more work this way.  Am I missing something or can we have the “old”, convenient way back in an update?
  3. When a tag is attached to a thought, in Ver9 the screen shows the thought with a generic tag icon and not with the name of the tag itself as in Ver8. The name of the tag icon shows only if moused over which is not possible for more than a single thought at a time. Is this a setting issue or a loss of great functionality in the new version?
  4. In Ver9 the child thoughts under a parent thought display in a single vertical list, while in Ver8 they displayed in a “split” fashion in two rows below the parent. This seems to be a better way to use the available space than with the one-row display that often reaches below the lower edge of the window. Can I get back to the Ver8 way in the Settings?

I would appreciate your comments on the four issues I have observed so far.

Cheers,

Roger

Roger
zenrain
1. Yes, that appears to be a bug. It's working correctly for me in macOS Sierra. You may want to note which OS you are using to help Support replicate.

2. In the Preferences UI tab change On drag and drop of files to Link to Dropped files. 

3. In Preferences Look & Feel tab change Tags Text to Show Always. Also note that you can attach Thought icons to tags now the same way you do regular thoughts. These icons will display below the thought with that tag. What I do is have icons assigned to the thought tags, have text to only display on hover and now I can easily see what tags are attached. Example: (I use the briefcase icon for my Current Work tag, and the checkbox icon for my Tasks tag)
Tags.png 

4. It sounds like you might be in Outline View. Try changing it to View > Normal View to see the familiar TheBrain interface. [smile]

macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
rogerwalk
Thanks, zenrain for your reply that provides solutions for issues 2 to 4.

Re issue 1 (problem with "Capture Image"): The newer versions up to 138 have not resolved this issue for PC/Win10 users. I am looking forward to a fix soon, since I (and probably many others) have been using the >Capture Thought Icon function many times when creating new thoughts.
Roger
Harlan
Hi Roger,

The issue you describe with Capture Image does not happen on my testing using Windows 10. Am I understanding correctly that when you see the crosshairs come up (small black crosshairs over top of fullscreen red crosshairs) everything looks correct until you view actual captured image?

And the captured image you are seeing is the image from the desktop, not the window that was under the crosshairs when you selected an area?

If what I have stated above is correct, then is sounds like there is something different about the way your machine is doing window management. Please try booting into "safe mode" (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode) and see if the capture image functions works correctly for you then.
Regards,
-Harlan
rogerwalk
Hi Harlan,

It looks as if the problem with the "Capture Image" tool is specific to my PC (Win10 with a Win7 "desktop skin"). The funny think is that the tool works perfectly fine with TheBrain8 on the same machine/configuration. 

I found, however a workaround for the ver9 problem with the Image Capture tool that is apparently even faster?simpler than the cross-hair capture of images. Here is the 5-click workflow: ">Copy Image" of the image I want to show as icon on a thought. Click the destination thought to open the thought window; click on the icon space with the "+" sign and the click >Paste Icon. Done. 
Roger
Harlan
Glad to hear it. You can also right click on the thought and select "Paste Icon" from the context menu - down to 3 clicks. [smile]
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software