rengel
v. 7.0.2.2
By right clicking on a link you can 'Open Link Window'.
Some notes on working with this window:
  • The tooltips for the icons are plain wrong. We are editing a link, right? So what does it mean to 'Add a new attachement to this thought' or to 'Open the folder for this thought'?
  • The window title shows the two connected thoughts. But which one comes first, the active one or what?
  • Missing tooltips (what does 'One-way' mean).
  • Clicking on 'One-way' shows or deletes a vertical bar behind the arrow head (BUT NOT consistently).
  • Why didn't you use a double arrow head? A dropdown could combine alle possibilities (Arrows and one-way, maybe four to seven altogether, just the right size for a dropdown)
  • TheBrain comes to scrawl if you do some clicks on 'One-way' and/or the arrows.
  • If the link has a label, what does 'Type' mean? How can it be shown?

Reinhard, TB 11.0.98.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
jbennett
Reinhard, 

Thank you for bringing these things to our attention.

-Incorrect Edit Link tooltips need to be changed.  I have sent this to our engineers for revision.
-The link window displays the two thoughts linked, as well as the link label if there is one. The child thought is always displayed first, regardless of link direction.
-Links are by default non-directed, but they can be set to directed or one-way using the icons in the Link tab.  By checking the "one-way" checkbox you are indicating that links are one way.  I'm not sure if the tooltip here is actually missing or not necessary, but I submit it as a request to the engineers.
-I am unable to recreate the issue you are experiencing with inconsistancy regarding the display of the one-way vertical bar.  I have tested on both Mac OS and Windows 7.  (*note- One-way links appear when the source of the link is active and do not appear when the target Thought is active unless the source Thought was already visible.)
-I am also unable to recreate the performance issues you are experiencing when clicking the "one-way"checkbox.  Would you mind recreating the issue and sending a copy of your output.log to support@thebrain.com?
-Link types function much like thought types, whereas labels indicate the name of an individual link.  Please check out the transition guide for more information and examples.

-James
rengel
Thank you for your answer!
Before I can give more information or comment on it, I must understand the difference between 'directed' and 'one-way'. As I understand (mathematical) graphs, directed arcs in graphs are per definition one-way. So I don't see why you need both an arrow and a One-way checkbox.

rengel
Here some additional remarks on the Link Window.
Click image for larger version - Name: linkdialog.png, Views: 36, Size: 230.64 KB

rengel
James,

here is an example where the 'One-way' indicator doesn't show.

Click image for larger version - Name: linkdialog2.png, Views: 34, Size: 180.25 KB

jbennett
rengel wrote:
Here some additional remarks on the Link Window.

Reinhard, 

These are some great UI suggestions.  I will definitely pass these along to our engineers.

James
jbennett
rengel wrote:
James,

here is an example where the 'One-way' indicator doesn't show.

Thanks to your screenshot,  I was able to replicate this.  Apparently, the bug only appears when using the floating link window(not the link tab.)  I will submit this to the engineers for a fix.  

James

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software