b4l4nc3r
I'm not sure whether this is a Beta issue, it might as well be a combination of factors, but in any case, since I'm using 6.0.4.1, I might as well post here.

When opening a Folder Shortcut in PB, it doesn't open using the default Folder Shortcut handler like for example happens when opening a Folder Shortcut on the Desktop. I'm using Win 7 64bit, and I understand that the Win 7 API changed on that regard noticeably. The result is that when opening a Folder Shortcut in PB, it specifically uses Explorer to open the folder, and not the set default one that is in my case Directory Opus, which is used when opening the same shortcut on the Desktop.

For a detailed and messy thread on the details of how we exactly mean it, I refer you to over here:
http://resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12830&sid=e620e02249cda024e84fc35f18661594

I've pasted the short possibly relevant technicality below:
Leo (Opus Forum Admin) : It may apply. Depends what PersonalBrain is actually doing with shortcuts. It's worth putting to them as one possibility, either way. Technical details, in case you want to pass them on to the makers of PersonalBrain: When this happens in a particular program it is usually due to the program calling ShellExecuteEx on folders with "open" as the verb instead of NULL. The verb should be NULL so that the default verb is used. "Open" is not always the default verb, but some programs incorrectly hardcode it. If that's what it's doing then it's trivial to fix, but something that has to be fixed in the other program, not Opus.

rhodes

Good point. Many of us would prefer to use our favorite file managers, some of them 3-pane such as Directory Opus and xplorer² (my favorite). Windows' native Windows Explorer leaves out a lot of functionality. Calling ShellExecuteEx Open would give us a much greater choice of file manager.

My only concern is whether developing PB in Java permits this degree of fine tuning, since one would have expected this to have been implemented much earlier in PB were it possible. This should not be taken to imply criticism of the developers, since I notice that some other Windows shell applications such as Direct Folders do not appear to work in PB, maybe because the required hooks into the Windows shell have not or cannot be implemented.

Alan Rhodes
b4l4nc3r
Since PB uses the default Folder handler for the Thought Folders and the Folders in it when opening directly with a single click in PB (opens in Opus in my case), I think that should make one optimistic about whether they could do the same for Folder Shortcuts.
rhodes
Good news. Let's hope they change PB.
Alan Rhodes
b4l4nc3r
Amen to that.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software