mpw

I've been using PB for a few weeks now and really like the capabilities it provides me with.

Being written in Java it's obvious that it's not going to be a super fast application, but I am having a very strange problem. I hope somebody in the forum can give me an idea as to how to fix it.

I have it installed on two Macs, a MacBook at home and an iMac at work:

MacBook

2.1 GHz

2 GB RAM

iMac:

2 GHz

1.5 GB RAM

PB works without any big performance problems on the MacBook. These annoying things happen on the iMac:

- The program starts up quite slowly.

- It freezes up during a search when I hit the enter key. It's possible, though, that it's just being veeery slow instead of freezing. I believe I've seen it happen that PB returns to life if I wait long enough.

- Sometimes i have to wait 5-10 seconds for PB to react while I'm working. During that time it does not react to mouse or keyboard input.

A cursory look at Activity Monitor didn't really show anything except for a relatively short peak of disk activity.

I haven't noticed any of this behavior on my home MacBook. The only big configuration difference I can think of is that the iMac has .5 GB less memory, but I would think that 1.5 GB ought to be enough.

Has anybody seen this kind of behavior? I noticed a similar problem posted in this forum but it seems to have been a hard disk problem. I seriously doubt whether that's my problem.

Any ideas?

Matthew

mcaton
mpw,

Thank you for writing in.  First off, the PB search on a Mac actually uses Spotlight and therefore is searching through your Mail, Address Book and iCal.  If these are quite large, this can effect your search time.

Regarding the other issues, which version of the Java plug in are you using?  Can you upgrade to the latest?  If you do, and the problems persist, please post or send us a copy of your Output.log file and we'll take a closer look.

Thank you,
Matt
mpw
Matt,

Thanks for your quick response.

Your comment about Spotlight makes sense. I've noticed Spotlight searches take a little longer on my iMac than on my MacBook. Presumably because I have a lot more stuff to search through on my iMac.

Is the PB search limited to Mail, Address Book and iCal, or does it look through other parts of the computer? 

Basically, those three applications should contain the same things on both computers. The only difference might be in Mail. I have a lot of e-mail stored. I use imap. My iMac probably has everything on the imap server indexed whereas on the MacBook maybe it doesn't. That could make a difference.

The Java version is 1.6.0_20. That should be the most recent. I keep my computers up to date.

I'll look for the Output.log file and post it.

Thanks,
Matthew
mpw
Matt,

OK, here's the output.log file.

One thing I wanted to ask about the search: Is it possible to restrict the scope? For example, can I say I don't want Spotlight to search through e-mail?

Matthew
mcaton
Matthew,

Yes, you can actually turn this off through Spotlight Preferences (not through PB) and this may speed things up for you.

And yes, through PB, search is limited to Mail, Address Book and iCal.

Thank you,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software