mctrexler
I've been experimenting intensively with using Brain as a presentation vehicle, and am realizing it may just not work.  People just find it too distracting to see the screen jumping around, even it I have the equivalent of PPT slides pop up from the thought icons (if anyone disagrees with this assessment please speak up!).

So next question, has anyone come up with the simplest way of of going from Brain screenshots (e.g. Snag-It) to finished PPT slides.  My thought is to do that, and keep the Brain in auto-hide mode ready to pop out at the slightest provocation.   But right now I do the capture, then copy from SnagIt, then paste into blank slide, then size to the slide.  A bit tedious, and thought someone might have figured out some way to simplify (e.g. is there any way to past into a blank PPT slide and have it automatically size to the slide?).

Thanks for any suggestions,

zenrain
You might find this forum post interesting, as well as this webinar.

Edit: As far as distractions, you may experiment with the animation speed in Options > Preferences > Look & Feel (Fastest is no animation), or using the expanded mode (where stuff doesn't move around as much). 

Not sure about speeding up workflow for TheBrain screenshots. I'm not as familiar with PowerPoint, hopefully someone else can chime in.

Edit 2: For some reason I can't get the forum post link to work correctly, here's a link to TheBrain User Knowledgebase thought with a link. 
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
mctrexler
Thanks Zenrain.  I've seen the forum post before, and will try to actually sort through it to figure out what it's doing, and why using the calendar helps. The webinar I've seen before as well.  Does a nice job of laying out all the reasons to do presentations in Brain.  But doesn't address audience reaction, which is the challenge I'm having.  But I also think it may just be a mismatch of presentation and audience.  You can overwhelm people with a powerpoint as well.  So I need to think more about how to tailor Brain presentations to the audience. 

Maybe your idea of slowing down the animation speed can help.  I will play with that. 
zenrain
PowerPoints or slides are pretty ingrained in the audiences expectation of a presentation. 

You are probably already doing this, but if not you may want to discuss what TheBrain is, how it works (what the audience can expect to see) and why you are using it at the beginning of the presentation.
This will acclimatize them to the tool, and allow them to see the benefits of why you are using it instead of what they are expecting to see. 

Minimizing distractions will also help. Going into presentation mode, using the plex to take up the full screen, and either speeding up or slowing down transitions may also help the audience transition into the new tool. Finally, at least at the beginning, make sure there aren't a huge amount of child or parent thoughts showing. Building up to more thoughts on the plex at the same time may also help the audience acclimatize to the tool. 

As I said before, you are probably already doing all or some of these already, but if not, hopefully I've given a few ideas that will help. If you are still having problems with the audience being too distracted, it may just be the wrong tool for that particular audience. Relating your story to people in a manner that will resonate with the most number of people is the most important thing, and if a tool gets in the way of that, ditch it.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Spacenexus
A method I have used previously is to use Outline mode. The Active Thought (main presentation title) can be moved to the top left of the plex and the rest of the presentation appears linearly as a vertical list of thoughts. At that point you can either use ppt slide images in each thought and expand them out with over and / or use the notes section to display content.

For the most part, this means your plex is stationary during the presentation which doesn't bamboozle the audience. During Q&A there is always an opportunity to switch into normal mode and animate to a part of the brain whist answering the question, which can then really impress the audience once they're not focussing on slide content.

Hope that helps.

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
mctrexler
Jim, I literally just started thinking last week about using outline mode for presentations (which I don't use much myself), so thank's for that suggestion.  It might do the presentation trick (although ironically hides the essence of the Brain).   But so does making PPT slides!

Zenrain, excellent points.  I'm doing most of them, but perhaps not as well as I could.  I'll continue to experiment.  You're right about the tool matching the audience, and the beauty of the Brain's flexibility is (I think) that with enough thought I can manipulate the Brain's formatting to whatever the audience. 

tonja
Hi mctrexler,

in the business environement many are used the PPT and I would not change it, even if the audience is very conservative.

But my daughter made some presentation about Columbus in the primary school and all children (and even the teachers) loved the typing, networking, knowlege flow and zoomable icons (tag get used for the historical dates).

So PB can work quite nice in presentations.

Greetings,

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software