danlandrum
While using the brain this morning in transparency mode, I resized the window using the bottom right drag handle. I've then moved the entire window using the top drag handle. Upon releasing the mouse the entire window collapsed leftward along its X axis. It is now just a sliver, one pixel wide, and the drag handles are not accessible. Everything else works normally. I can use accelerator commands and pop open the notes window, for instance. Everything also works normally if I turn off transparency mode. I've tried all the tricks I know, including using Keyboard Maestro to resize the front most window when in transparency mode. How can I correct this?
OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
pthompson
Dan,

You will most likely need to reset your preferences so TheBrain reverts back to it's default state. First, please make sure you are using the latest version of TheBrain, available here: http://www.thebrain.com/products/thebrain/download and the latest version of Java, available here: http://www.java.com/download. Once you have verified this, try the following steps:

Note: Please keep in mind that this process will wipe any preferences you have saved in TheBrain. Your Brain databases will not be touched, but the preferences in TheBrain software, including your list of Brains will be removed and TheBrain will start fresh. You will need to navigate to: File > Open Brain... to reopen all of your saved Brain databases on your machine.

1. Close TheBrain application and Navigate to: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming on your machine. **Note**: If you are not seeing this folder, be sure to [Show Hidden Files and Folders](http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hidden-files).

2. Delete any (PersonalBrain) folder if one exists and you are no longer using or no longer have PersonalBrain 6 or lower installed.

3. Open any (TheBrain) folder and delete any .xml and .bak preferences files that exist here.

Once these steps have been completed please try restarting TheBrain.
danlandrum
I don't mind, but is there no way to just do this from the command line in terminal?

Oh, and I'm on a MacBook Pro Retina, latest everything.

OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
pthompson
Dan,

On a Mac:

1. Close any instance of TheBrain or PersonalBrain you may have running.

2. Open Terminal

3. Copy and Paste this (one line at a time):

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

4. Navigate to: (/Users/YOURUSERNAME/)

5. Delete any .PersonalBrain folder if one exists and you are no longer using or no longer have PersonalBrain 6 or lower installed.

6. Navigate to: (/Users/YOURUSERNAME/.TheBrain) **Note**: Another way of getting to this folder is by right-clicking on a Thought in your Brain and selecting 'Add Attachment' then 'Templates...'. This will prompt you to open the folder associated with Templates. Select 'Yes' and the folder will open. Navigate one level up in the folder structure and you will be in the .TheBrain folder.

7. Move any .xml and .bak preferences files to your Trash.

8. Empty your Trash

Once these steps have been completed please try restarting TheBrain.

If you wish to hide hidden files again:

1. Open Terminal

2. Copy and Paste this (one line at a time):

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder
danlandrum
Patrick,

Will this result in a loss of my accelerator customizations?

OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
pthompson
Dan,

Yes.
zenrain
Sorry, I thought of this yesterday and forgot to reply. If you haven't already done so, before you follow those steps go to Options > Preferences and go to the Accelerators tab.
Click Export.
Save the .csv file somewhere and then follow the steps Patrick provided.

Then when finished, go back into your accelerators tab and click Import. Point to the file you exported and you should have everything back. [smile]
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
mcaton
Thanks for posting Zen - this is a great way to preserve/archive your customized accelerators!

Thanks,
Matt
pthompson
zenrain,

Very good point. Thanks.
danlandrum

Thanks for the help, all. Everything is working as expected now, though there was some confusion when I restarted TheBrain.  

After logging in, the only options were to open my previous files in a browser or download them again. The initial window did not present the Browse Local Files button which I thought was strange. Also, the "Brains Named" search field was truncated to only a character or two width. It didn't make sense that I would need to download my files again, but being the only option available, I chose it. And waited. And waited. It spent quite a bit of time establishing communication with the server (10 minutes maybe? just guessing and certainly susceptible to exaggerated recall on my part) before it finally popped up another window, this one also offering the option to download or view in a browser, but it also had the expected Browse Local Files button. I was then able to open and get back to business. 

I described the entire process because I seem to recall something similar happening the last time I had to trash prefs. I think there's something wrong with the order and manner in which options are presented during the process for users with established files. Hopefully, you'll test this yourself and think about from the perspective of a user, rather than someone who understands all there is to know about the window order. I consider myself a relatively competent TheBrain user, but this was an unnecessarily confusing process. I hope as you work on your next release you can polish things like this. Thanks for listening. TheBrain rocks, looking forward to seeing it shine!

OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
pthompson
Dan,

To open existing files the process is: File > Open Brain... > Browse Local Files
danlandrum
Patrick,

That's my point. There was no Browse Local Files button available. There was something wrong with the window. The Brains Named search box was also jank. (Not to be a jerk, but I think I explained that rather clearly.)

"After logging in, the only options were to open my previous files in a browser or download them again. The initial window did not present the Browse Local Files button which I thought was strange."

Dan

OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
zenrain
Next time you may try browsing to the brain file in the finder and opening it that way. I think I may have seen weird stuff happening like this before on the OS X version of TheBrain.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
mcaton
Zen,

I think I remember what you are referring to.  If the Brain application was not installed in the Applications directory, older versions use to suffer from "feature loss."  Some components of the application simply would not exist or be grayed out.  Again, this was happening on Mac only and on older versions of TheBrain.  Sounds very similar to what Dan described.  

However... Dan - I was able to replicate your scenario, but maybe not in the same way.  I can create the window you have described ( the "Brains Named" search field was truncated to only a character or two width and Browse Local button was missing ) simply by making this pop up window smaller in WIDTH.  If you happen to see the same scenario again on your end, please expand the window width and see if everything then properly appears.

Thanks,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software